Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'this is Greece, not Ireland, we'll fight back'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lifeinireland

how long will we lie down,and take it ,there is only so much we ordinary people in low paid jobs can take we are trying to keep goin but were told we must suffer on.to keep the banks afloat while they rise interest rates,and try and take our homes.we will not go quietly into the night.the times are a changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Why's that? The measures introduced by the Greek government make sense to me. They had little choice given the financial pressures and influence from the EU.

The people of Greece, are yes in a far worse situation than Ireland, but the government are taxing them so much they would end up penniless, as one lady said in that clip. Being taxed, and taxed is unfair, and why should they have to put up with that, when their own government can't sort the country's problems out, instead they take it out on the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't get it :(

Oh dear. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

snow ghost wrote: »
    Generalising that we sat back and have allowed the Irish and EU establishment to ride rough shod over us whilst saving the corrupt bankers, deveolpers and speculators is entirely an accurate one as history will eventually record.
    The general public can easily be manipulated, there are higher powers at play.
    Economies are controlled by extremely rich people for extremely rich people, we make them their money while they control us like pawns. the people have no control with the current system, thats why they turn to rioting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They have a point. Irish people are far to happy to sit back on the couch and complain and moan and shout and whinge at government (although about half of them really need to go to a school of common sense - its utterly lacking and I'm starting to think maybe aliens have stolen their brain cells) and not do anything about things at all themselves, not even go out on the streets as the greek are.

Now that said, the greek protests will cripple their tourist economy if they go on buch longer, but it's the principle I'm after.

• Advertisement

how long will we lie down,and take it ,there is only so much we ordinary people in low paid jobs can take we are trying to keep goin but were told we must suffer on.to keep the banks afloat while they rise interest rates,and try and take our homes.we will not go quietly into the night.the times are a changing.

I agree. The time to do something about the current government is NOW, and not where Ireland ends up in a situation like Greece. "The fightin' Irish?????" well, where are we all now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Why's that? The measures introduced by the Greek government make sense to me. They had little choice given the financial pressures and influence from the EU.

That's true about the austerity measures - at the same time, like here, the current Greek government are responsible for the mess and corrupt practises that augmented the economic disaster so they should stand down or be forced to. In that respect the Greeks are right to peacefully protest.

Put it this way, following the austerity measures - as necessary as they now may be - teachers in Greece will basically be on the same money (cost of living aside) as someone on the dole in Ireland.

The Greeks are rightly pointing the finger at their corrupt establishment and their past actions that have made the situation there as bad as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

You've got to admit that Greece is in ruins.

*gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

nicegirl wrote: »
    The people of Greece, are yes in a far worse situation than Ireland, but the government are taxing them so much they would end up penniless, as one lady said in that clip. Being taxed, and taxed is unfair, and why should they have to put up with that, when their own government can't sort the country's problems out, instead they take it out on the people.

If there wasn't such a shitty attitude to paying taxes in Greece in the first place, a lot of these problems wouldn't exist.

EDIT: Article on this subject a few months ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/8509244.stm

A Greek and Italian were arguing over who had the superior culture.

The Greek says, "We have the Parthenon."

Arching his eyebrows, the Italian replies, "We have the Coliseum."

The Greek retorts, "We Greeks gave birth to advanced mathematics"

The Italian, nodding agreement, says, "But we built the Roman Empire."

And so on and so on until the Greek comes up with what he thinks will end the discussion. With a flourish of finality he says, "We invented sex!"

The Italian replies, "That is true, but it was the Italians who introduced it to women."

• Advertisement

A Greek and Italian were arguing over who had the superior culture.

The Greek says, "We have the Parthenon."

Arching his eyebrows, the Italian replies, "We have the Coliseum."

The Greek retorts, "We Greeks gave birth to advanced mathematics"

The Italian, nodding agreement, says, "But we built the Roman Empire."

And so on and so on until the Greek comes up with what he thinks will end the discussion. With a flourish of finality he says, "We invented sex!"

The Italian replies, "That is true, but it was the Italians who introduced it to women."

Doesn't say a lot for the Italians - did they think prior to this they all came to being via immaculate conception?

If there wasn't such a shitty attitude to paying taxes in Greece in the first place, a lot of these problems wouldn't exist.

I don't believe the Greek people have a ****ty attitude towards being taxed, the difference in Greece is that the people are being crippled with taxes, and how are they suppose to live? The people have to suffer as a result of their own governments incompetances, and is completely unfair.

my heart says get up and shout what do you think i am a dog to be kicked around,i am irish and have a great spirit do not take away my soul i always done the right thing for my country,my countrys leaders should do right by me.we dont want another 1916,we just want a fairer society,i earn 9.76 per hour and pay a morgage of 850 per month,

Doesn't say a lot for the Italians - did they think prior to this they all came to being via immaculate conception?

??? Is your sarcasm detector on the blink again?!

That joke should really have come with a disclaimer: *Not based upon actual events*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

sdonn wrote: »
    They have a point. Irish people are far to happy to sit back on the couch and complain and moan and shout and whinge at government (although about half of them really need to go to a school of common sense - its utterly lacking and I'm starting to think maybe aliens have stolen their brain cells) and not do anything about things at all themselves, not even go out on the streets as the greek are.

Thing is, in a modern democracy we are not supposed to riot and protest on the streets. Our democratic mechanisms should be enough to allow us to change governments as we see fit.

Also although many people moan and groan, there is an acceptance that the current cutbacks are necessary. This is evidence by the failure of the fringe left groups who have marched to get any traction in the main stream.

??? Is your sarcasm detector on the blink again?!

I presume the joke was meant to be that the Greek men were having sex with other men - yet reading between the lines it implied the Italians who thought they were smart were also stupid if they thought they introudced women to sex. Which defeated the purpose of the joke.

Basically it was a ****e joke. ;)

I presume the joke was meant to be that the Greek men were having sex with other men - yet reading between the lines it implied the Italians who thought they were smart were also stupid if they thought they introudced women to sex. Which defeated the purpose of the joke.

A lot of jokes require what's called 'a suspension of disbelief', even the good ones.

A lot of jokes require what's called 'a suspension of disbelief', even the good ones.

True but that isn't the point. Never mind forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ROTTING CHRIST

my heart says get up and shout what do you think i am a dog to be kicked around,i am irish and have a great spirit do not take away my soul i always done the right thing for my country,my countrys leaders should do right by me.we dont want another 1916,we just want a fairer society,i earn 9.76 per hour and pay a morgage of 850 per month,

The Irish Government have some cheek, forcing you to take out a mortgage way beyond your means like that. Feckers, the lot of them!

• Advertisement

my wife was workin at the time,lost her job due to the down turn in ireland,ie banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Let's go have a protest. Something like "I don't want the country to pay back the massive debts it has accumulated in an effort to support people with stupidly high wages and social welfare which some people actually admit should never have been given out in the first place but now any cuts to them are supposedly unfair and an attack on society."
    Have I covered all the bases there?

We're taking our medicine for electing idiots and for spending like idiots. I'm glad to see that a silent majority seem to see things the same way I do. This country is one of the best in the world to live in in so many ways and nobody seems to ****ing appreciate that simple fact. A few years of "pain" and we'll be well and truly on our feet again. Already it's forecast the economy will grow 3% next year. A stabilisation of European economies will help obviously, and a stabilisation of house prices will get most of the money from NAMA back. Our exports are still growing nicely, giving us something to build on when everything else has steadied up.
    Or we could go on a nice big general strike, see our debt go up overnight, wreck some property, maybe burn out and overturn some cars, maybe murder a few people. Maybe it'll make us feel good that we made our voices heard, even if it achieves nothing and just makes things worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

my wife was workin at the time,lost her job due to the down turn in ireland,ie banking.

No family income supplement available to you?

The Irish Government have some cheek, forcing you to take out a mortgage way beyond your means like that. Feckers, the lot of them!

Its a disgrace alright. Ireland is a land for the rich, and the rich are well looked after in this country. If you are an ordinary working person, you are absolutely screwed. The rich maybe looked after, but we are not all rich people, we are all ordinary working people trying to survive in a corrupt, and unfair country, and that is the vast majority of people in this country. I think we should all go on strike, not work, for a day or two, bring the country to a complete halt, and the government would have no taxes, and no income for running the country. In that time we should all take to the streets, and protest. The government would have to do something then, and listen to the people, if there was no taxes for them, and no one in the country working. There is power in numbers, its a matter of it being carried out, until the government and country are sorted out. Would this ever happen, or anything even close to it is the question?

i agree 100% with that.what will it take for us irish to stand up maybe when the banks have taken our homes ,split up our familys cause of financial problems,while these people are deciding they might take a cut in wages but they dont have too because of there own rules.

i agree 100% with that.what will it take for us irish to stand up maybe when the banks have taken our homes ,split up our familys cause of financial problems,while these people are deciding they might take a cut in wages but they dont have too because of there own rules.

In your current circumstances lifeinireland, my heart goes out to you.

i think it will take something like this all my friends are saying something will happen eventually,and i guess it will be something like this.

no i exceeded by 80 euro.great to be irish.

i think it will take something like this all my friends are saying something will happen eventually,and i guess it will be something like this.

I agree, something has to happen, and something HAS to be done about the country and the government. Otherwise, the government are allowed continue being as corrupt and unfair as they want, and its a win win situation for the rich people. The rich bankers SHOULD be jailed, and Brian Cowen, Mary Harney and other members of the government should be fired for incompetance. The government can always come up with money for the tsunami a few years ago, the flooding in Ireland a number of months ago, and more recently giving E145 million to Greece. Therefore, if all these events did not happen, the govenment has money somewhere?? Why can't the government invest money in bailing out people with their mortages, and do something right for once??

• Advertisement

Do us a favour, shut up. ;)

Advertisement