Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'this is Greece, not Ireland, we'll fight back'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

Dedicated to the people of Greece!!!! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTXb-ga1fo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Do us a favour, shut up. ;)

Who's 'us' you and your brain cell? ;)

Do everyone a favour and bungee off the Westgate, without the bungee. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

snow ghost wrote: »
    Who's 'us' you and your brain cell? ;)

Do everyone a favour and bungee off the Westgate, without the bungee. :)

I can see that lack of a sense of humour carries through to insults as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I can see that lack of a sense of humour carries through to insults as well. :)

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

nicegirl, I understand the desire to make your voice heard, to march and vent a bit of anger at the situation we find ourselves in. But, I have to ask you, what purpose would it serve apart from allowing us to get it off our chests? You say that the government will be starved of taxes, but that's not exactly true- government services would be starved of taxes. So the people striking would only be shooting themselves in the foot, depriving already cash starved public services of much needed money. What does this achieve exactly?

Also, our major probelm is the size of our current defecit. Striking only exacerbates this problem, and necessitating even harsher measures to stabilise the finances.

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    nicegirl, I understand the desire to make your voice heard, to march and vent a bit of anger at the situation we find ourselves in. But, I have to ask you, what purpose would it serve apart from allowing us to get it off our chests? You say that the government will be starved of taxes, but that's not exactly true- government services would be starved of taxes. So the people striking would only be shooting themselves in the foot, depriving already cash starved public services of much needed money. What does this achieve exactly?

Also, our major probelm is the size of our current defecit. Striking only exaccerbates this problem, making it worse, and necessitating even harsher measures to stabilise the finances.

Thanks, I see your point. What other things could be done to sort out the current government, any idea's? Its just so wrong with what the government can get away with, and I feel something should be done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

nicegirl wrote: »
    Thanks, I see your point. What other things could be done to sort out the current government, any idea's? Its just so wrong with what the government can get away with, and I feel something should be done

I think one of the first things we should do as a country, is acknowledge our respective responsibility for the mess we're in. Sure, the government (a certain B. Ahern in particular) must shoulder their burden, but we elected them in three successive elections. Not only that, but we as an electorate, conspired in their mismanagement, because we seek only short term gratification, which comes at the cost of long term, responsible governance. For example, many agree now that 100% mortgages should have been prohibited back at the height of the Boom. But you know as well as I do, that had that occurred, that government would have been thrown out at the next election. The problem in Ireland is that all parties are afraid to take the tough, necessary decisions in power, because we, the people, will only punish them for it. Unless we accept that good government doesn't mean doing the poular thing and seeking only to please, we're never going to get of of a boob/bust cycle.

LOL, that was to be the first of a few points, but it seems to have gotten out of control, so I'll leave it at that!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lifeinireland

how do you expect low paid workers to sustain these taxes,without going into more debt,while the public sector keep striking.i am not very smart but ime not that stupid,you cant keep taking from the poor and giving to the rich,its these assholes that put us here in the first place ,about time they or ye took youre head out of the clouds ,before the clouds disapear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ROTTING CHRIST

Einhard wrote: »
    I think one of the first things we should do as a country, is acknowledge our respective responsibility for the mess we're in. Sure, the government (a certain B. Ahern in particular) must shoulder their burden, but we elected them in three successive elections. Not only that, but we as an electorate, conspired in their mismanagement, because we seek only short term gratification, which comes at the cost of long term, responsible governance. For example, many agree now that 100% mortgages should have been prohibited back at the height of the Boom. But you know as well as I do, that had that occurred. that government would have been thrown out at the next election. The problem in Ireland is that all parties are afraid to take the tough, necessary decisions in power, because we, the people, will only punish them for it. Unless we accept that good government doesn't mean doing the poular thing and seeking only to please, we're never going to get of of a boob/bust cycle.

LOL, that was to be the first of a few points, but it seems to have gotten out of control, so I'll leave it at that!:pac:

1 way out of that is to have 20-30 year terms in government. The elected representatives wouldn't have to worry about making retarded short-term decisions just to get re-elected. Also being in office that long would force them to think about long-term prosperity. Also it would make people think more before voting.

1 way out of that is to have 20-30 year terms in government. The elected representatives wouldn't have to worry about making retarded short-term decisions just to get re-elected. Also being in office that long would force them to think about long-term prosperity. Also it would make people think more before voting.

Here is another idea.....no one should vote in the next election!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

nicegirl wrote: »
    Here is another idea.....no one should vote in the next election!!! :p
    The Government will always get in no matter who you vote for. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lifeinireland

work it out i earn 20000 a year and pay 10% DEDUCTIONS plus i must pay for everything,i would probably be better of on the bloody dole.at least i would have free medical,prsi is ****. tell me ime not paying my fair share,plus the carbon tax,and the rest of the **** give me a break you cant even drive on the roads cause of potholes,what about an nct on the bloody roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

feckin greeks, they invented gayness
    It's not the Greeks, it's the Chinese he's after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

They are right. We are cowards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

work it out i earn 20000 a year and pay 10% DEDUCTIONS plus i must pay for everything,i would probably be better of on the bloody dole.at least i would have free medical,prsi is ****. tell me ime not paying my fair share,plus the carbon tax,and the rest of the **** give me a break you cant even drive on the roads cause of potholes,what about an nct on the bloody roads.

I dont get your point:confused:

Work THIS out: I earn 0 a year, you take home 18K. I pay for as much as you do from my 10K per year of dole. Give me a break, you end up with 8K more than me and you have a guaranteed job:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

But do all these rioting Greeks not realise that they are making things worse? The markets are loving this because they can raise their rates and screw them even more. I just don't get it, burning their OWN buildings, people dead - just so Stavros can retire at 55. Cop the fcuk on. Sure they are being taxed highly but if most of them had paid it in the first place they wouldn't be in this mess. Where do they think the the money coming from, magic money trees? Their main industry is tourism, seriously who the fcuk is going to go on holidays there now :confused:

They are screwing up the Euro as well so that means us too....something for the keyboard anarchists to look forward to.:rolleyes:

Shoot and foot face comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

But do all these rioting Greeks not realise that they are making things worse? The markets are loving this because they can raise their rates and screw them even more. I just don't get it, burning their OWN buildings, people dead - just so Stavros can retire at 55. Cop the fcuk on. Sure they are being taxed highly but if most of them had paid it in the first place they wouldn't be in this mess. Where do they think the the money coming from, magic money trees? Their main industry is tourism, seriously who the fcuk is going to go on holidays there now :confused:

They are screwing up the Euro as well so that means us too....something for the keyboard anarchists to look forward to.:rolleyes:

All those rioting are trying to change things you sap,they don't give a shyte about the tourism in the islands right now I'd imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Greece might be protesting sometimes for the wrong reason but at least they are bothering their backside to do something, anything, about what they believe in and feel strongly about.
    Unlike a lot of others here at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

You do realise that average monthly pay there is about 700 euro, and the government wants to cut that to 500 euro? And that it wasn't the people on 700 euros a month that caused the problem? I'd be protesting too if I was over there.

baaaa wrote: »
    All those rioting are trying to change things you sap,they don't give a shyte about the tourism in the islands right now I'd imagine.

Ok so we all march on the Dail, burn the place, ruin our reputation as a country to do business with, ruin any chance of foreign investment, ruin our futures - yeah that makes sense :rolleyes: I'll see you at the workhouse brother.
    If you are so bothered about it why are you not out there marching right now? Its very brave of you to call me names from behind your keyboard (like a little kiddy) but what have you ACTUALLY done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

Same **** happens in other countries and people don't end up dead - We should be supportive of "the people" standing up for their rights against what is essentially one of the most corrupt governments in the developed world, but there is a difference between "doing something" and going batsh*t insane, donning a gas-mask and petrol bombing riot police.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

You do realise that average monthly pay there is about 700 euro, and the government wants to cut that to 500 euro? And that it wasn't the people on 700 euros a month that caused the problem? I'd be protesting too if I was over there.

you do realise that they have no money to pay anything not to mind 500 and if the reforms dont happen the country will be bankrupt by emmmmm yesterday?

there is no money i dont understand how people dont see this in any country it seems

So who exactly is going to make up the difference? Its the same with the PS here, someone, anyone tell me where the money is going to come from????? Whos going to pay their wages when the companies pull out and the tourists don't come? Are any of you?

for all the great economic minds who are telling us that we too should be out burning Dublin down, I would ask are they aware that someone on the DOLE here earns almost as much as a TEACHER in Greece. Factor in our other benefits and I'm sure the person on the dole actually comes out with far more.

Greece can't afford to live like they are, and neither can we. The only difference is that the cuts we must make will still keep our PS/welfare recipients far better off than their Greek counterparts. The way the PS go on you'd swear they'd be out on the streets begging if any cuts were made.

Ok so we all march on the Dail, burn the place, ruin our reputation as a country to do business with, ruin any chance of foreign investment, ruin our futures - yeah that makes sense :rolleyes: I'll see you at the workhouse brother.
    If you are so bothered about it why are you not out there marching right now? Its very brave of you to call me names from behind your keyboard (like a little kiddy) but what have you ACTUALLY done?
    Eh seems that you're a little bit more bothered than I.
    Look,only an idiot with little knowledge of anything would think that the greeks should be more bothered about tourism right now,and as you said such you are an idiot with..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Change it to what?

The country is bankrupt. Where are they going to get this extra money to stop these changes?

Tourism is about the only thing they have going for them now and these riots will stop people coming.

Then what?

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    for all the great economic minds who are telling us that we too should be out burning Dublin down, I would ask are they aware that someone on the DOLE here earns almost as much as a TEACHER in Greece. Factor in our other benefits and I'm sure the person on the dole actually comes out with far more.

Greece can't afford to live like they are, and neither can we. The only difference is that the cuts we must make will still keep our PS/welfare recipients far better off than their Greek counterparts. The way the PS go on you'd swear they'd be out on the streets begging if any cuts were made.
    This is a really dumb post,you do know that things are different prices in different countries?Ever been abroad?
    That's a keen economic mind you have.

reprazant wrote: »
    Change it to what?

The country is bankrupt. Where are they going to get this extra money to stop these changes?

Tourism is about the only thing they have going for them now and these riots will stop people coming.

Then what?
    They want change.

This is a really dumb post,you do know that things are different prices in different countries?Ever been abroad?
    That's a keen economic mind you have.

:rolleyes:

You should put that smiley at the end of all your posts to save people the bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/05/bild-open-letter-greece-papandreou?
    After yesterday's call by two German politicians that Greece sell off islands, historic buildings and artworks before receiving aid, the German tabloid Bild has written an open letter to the Greek prime minister George Papandreou:

Dear prime minister,

If you're reading this, you've entered a country different from yours. You're in Germany.

Here, people work until they are 67 and there is no 14th-month salary for civil servants. Here, nobody needs to pay a €1,000 bribe to get a hospital bed in time.

Our petrol stations have cash registers, taxi drivers give receipts and farmers don't swindle EU subsidies with millions of non-existent olive trees.

Germany also has high debts but we can settle them. That's because we get up early and work all day.

We want to be friends with the Greeks. That's why since joining the euro, Germany has given your country €50bn.
    :D

Advertisement