Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'this is Greece, not Ireland, we'll fight back'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

baaaa wrote: »
    We should be angry cause we realise that we're in a worse situation than greece and cause we realise that we've all been robbed at the same time,not for those nonsense reasons you give.

our situation is nowhere near as bad as greece your so close to be the first ever person iv ignored on this site

Bull****,repeat after me-If a country/government has no money they need to stop spending money and get more in through taxes

and you realise that the greeks are protesting against the fact their goverment is trying to STOP SPENDING MONEY THEY DONT HAVE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Stekelly wrote: »
    You got to love the Greeks. " we're not the Irish, we won't take this" , " we demand public spending be maitained at unsustainable levels despite the tax take being way down, it's the only way out of the recession" what could possibly go wrong? Idiots.

They think they're not like us? They have a corrupt govt., they're in serious debt, their civil servants havent a brain cell between them, and now they're blowing stuff up?

The only difference is the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Things are still way too good in Ireland and people are complacent. We'd be rioting as well if our livelyhoods were threathened.

I've seen much worse in my life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

I'm not disputing this. I'm just saying that the whole system seems to be falling apart.
    My mistake,apologies.I meant to put a smiley face to indicate that my statement was silly(meant as a dig at halle).
    I totally agree,the system is clearly falling apart.

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    our situation is nowhere near as bad as greece your so close to be the first ever person iv ignored on this site
    If you do a bit of research you'll find otherwise.

crótach wrote: »
    Things are still way too good in Ireland and people are complacent. We'd be rioting as well if our livelyhoods were threathened.

I've seen much worse in my life :)

how can things be too good? the majority in ireland still live comfortable fulfilling lives and thats not going to change assuming certain steps are taken. that is why there are no riots

its a silent majority that is happy enough with how things are going

and you realise that the greeks are protesting against the fact their goverment is trying to STOP SPENDING MONEY THEY DONT HAVE
    Is that why they're protesting?

i have and i didnt

greece is ****ed

we are not ****ed as bad as greece and we wont be if we keep acting relatively fast to problems that arise and doing the things that need to be done

how can things be too good? the majority in ireland still live comfortable fulfilling lives and thats not going to change assuming certain steps are taken. that is why there are no riots

its a silent majority that is happy enough with how things are going
    Yes,it's called the herd.The same silent majority that vote FF in every time.

• Advertisement

i have and i didnt

greece is ****ed

we are not ****ed as bad as greece and we wont be if we keep acting relatively fast to problems that arise and doing the things that need to be done
    Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We can only do this if you tell us how to contact the guy in the pub who gave you the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I'm still waiting to see your research, you seem to be keeping it all to yourself and belittling people when they don't know what you are talking about. A link maybe? I can help you with the technical part of posting it if you want, or you can actually type a web address instead of a link, I don't mind either way.

Back on topic please,these are silly requests from scorned people,I'm not about to start teaching you how the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

because you don't know really do you? I think this troll has been fed enough for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

And what seems to be the problem op?

We are a nation of crying cúnts, whingers, moans, erm, the list goes on. We may as well be living in a dictator state at times in this God forsaken kip.

Back on topic please,these are silly requests from scorned people,I'm not about to start teaching you how the world works.

We all know the reason for that.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Germany, are equally responsible for the Greek crisis as they irresponsibly lent Greece billions for their own avarice.

This corrupt banking, lending and unadulterated greed permeated much of the industrialised World and those in power were only too happy to turn a blind eye if it meant they could feather their own nests.

The German establishment are annoyed because their greed has come back to bite them on the hole and it is unlikely they will get their billions back, never mind all the filthy riches they had imagined.

Capitalism is on the edge of the abyss as is the European experiment, I'm beginning to wonder if Declan Ganley was right all along about the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

snow ghost wrote: »
    That's true about the austerity measures - at the same time, like here, the current Greek government are responsible for the mess and corrupt practises that augmented the economic disaster so they should stand down or be forced to. In that respect the Greeks are right to peacefully protest.

Put it this way, following the austerity measures - as necessary as they now may be - teachers in Greece will basically be on the same money (cost of living aside) as someone on the dole in Ireland.

The Greeks are rightly pointing the finger at their corrupt establishment and their past actions that have made the situation there as bad as it is.

The current greek government was out of power for the last 8 years (00-08), just got in in 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Wait till Biggus Dickus hears about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

'We're Greece, we'll **** up the Euro so it'll cost Dean820 more on Ebay' :rolleyes:

Snakeblood wrote: »
    The current greek government was out of power for the last 8 years (00-08), just got in in 09.

They were there to 'cook the books' and to cover up the reality of the fiscal situation there to the EU and to the markets.

Germany, are equally responsible for the Greek crisis as they irresponsibly lent Greece billions for their own avarice.

This corrupt banking, lending and unadulterated greed permeated much of the industrialised World and those in power were only too happy to turn a blind eye if it meant they could feather their own nests.

The German establishment are annoyed because their greed has come back to bite them on the hole and it is unlikely they will get their billions back, never mind all the filthy riches they had imagined.

Capitalism is on the edge of the abyss as is the European experiment, I'm beginning to wonder if Declan Ganley was right all along about the EU.

I don't think the Germans would lend anyone any money, were they not certain that it was going to be paid back. They would have expected the Greeks to be honest in their dealings, and not fabricate figures to get their hands on the loot. Now, the Germans, wanting to keep the EU together, have no choice but to lend them money.

At one stage, the Greeks were demanding help from Germany, and even did a Godwin, accusing the Nazis of stealing Greek gold in WW2 and the post-war German state of not paying it back.

The Greeks are holding back progress by doing millions of Euro worth of damage in the riots, not to mention causing deaths, and any sensible nation will think twice about doing business with them until they get their act together and face reality.

The idiots are trying to drag us all down with them.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I don't think the Germans would lend anyone any money, were they not certain that it was going to be paid back. They would have expected the Greeks to be honest in their dealings, and not fabricate figures to get their hands on the loot. Now, the Germans, wanting to keep the EU together, have no choice but to lend them money.

At one stage, the Greeks were demanding help from Germany, and even did a Godwin, accusing the Nazis of stealing Greek gold in WW2 and the post-war German state of not paying it back.

The Greeks are holding back progress by doing millions of Euro worth of damage in the riots, not to mention causing deaths, and any sensible nation will think twice about doing business with them until they get their act together and face reality.

I can see your point, but Germany have been irresponsibly lending money to Greece for some time, of course they expected it to be paid back, just as Anglo-Irish expected to get their grubby returns from their irresponsible lending to developers, etc.

The German Financiers - as irresponsible lenders - are equally at fault and can't abdicate responsibility for contributing to this crisis.

This whole situation is disgraceful and I can understand the pain of the average man and woman in Greece who feel helpless and treated badly... rioting isn't the answer, peaceful protest is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ejmaztec wrote: »

IMHO the Germans/EU should simply stop lending them money in the current fashion. Bear with me... Expel them from the euro. Continue to support real change. If they get their house in order bring them back in.

I would treat the euro like a franchise. If you want to open a Maccy Dees you have to follow procedures and have a valid market. If your burger sales go down, yet you lie on the sale figures and that has a economic knock on effect on head office, then remove the franchise. Let them be Stavros' burger place for a while until they show they can balance the books and not lie about it. Keep supplying them with buns and burger meat at a lower price and when they're back on their feet, stick the golden arches back up.

This would force them to look after their own currency. Their currency would be less valuable than the euro so exports would go up, it would be a major boost for their tourist economy too and it would protect the confidence in the euro. It would force them to completely rejig their tax and public expenditure. If they didnt then they would be utterly screwed.

If this or similar isnt done, then places like Italy, Spain and Portugal will follow suit, sure in the knowledge that "head office" will sub them when the shíte hits the fan. Italy is in trouble. Mad levels of borrowing, with Spain and Portugal not too far behind. Make an example of Greece to head that off. A good example BTW. Support but not tacit agreement and rewarding bad behaviour.

Ireland is balancing the books. For all the issues with NAMA etc we're showing real signs of climbing out of the crap we found ourselves in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

That's exactly what I mean, possibly didn't express myself right.

Wibbs wrote: »
    IMHO the Germans/EU should simply stop lending them money in the current fashion. Bear with me... Expel them from the euro. Continue to support real change. If they get their house in order bring them back in.

I would treat the euro like a franchise. If you want to open a Maccy Dees you have to follow procedures and have a valid market. If your burger sales go down, yet you lie on the sale figures and that has a economic knock on effect on head office, then remove the franchise. Let them be Stavros' burger place for a while until they show they can balance the books and not lie about it. Keep supplying them with buns and burger meat at a lower price and when they're back on their feet, stick the golden arches back up.

This would force them to look after their own currency. Their currency would be less valuable than the euro so exports would go up, it would be a major boost for their tourist economy too and it would protect the confidence in the euro. It would force them to completely rejig their tax and public expenditure. If they didnt then they would be utterly screwed.

If this or similar isnt done, then places like Italy, Spain and Portugal will follow suit, sure in the knowledge that "head office" will sub them when the shíte hits the fan. Italy is in trouble. Mad levels of borrowing, with Spain and Portugal not too far behind. Make an example of Greece to head that off. A good example BTW. Support but not tacit agreement and rewarding bad behaviour.

Ireland is balancing the books. For all the issues with NAMA etc we're showing real signs of climbing out of the crap we found ourselves in.

How could you do any of that - it's simply not economically or politically viable - Germany are at the heart of the crisis and would lose out finanically and politically, also it would put the Euro and EU in turmoil.

In theory Greece could pull out of the Euro to reduce their debt burden by then devaluing their currency.

There is no easy solution and the Euro and all of us in the monetary union are basically on the brink.

The crisis in Greece is EU wide one and the causes of it are not just Greek fiscal malpractice - there are many other players involved and responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

How could you do any of that - it's simply not economically or politically viable - Germany are at the heart of the crisis and would lose out finanically and politically, also it would put the Euro and EU in turmoil.

In theory Greece could pull out of the Euro to reduce their debt burden by then devaluing their currency.

There is no easy solution and the Euro and all of us in the monetary union are basically on the brink.

The crisis in Greece is EU wide one and the causes of it are not just Greek fiscal malpractice - there are many other players involved and responsible.

But they aren't acting like a bunch of teenagers with no solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I heard Tubridy on his fri night show recently wonder "where are the people?" why aren't they out on the streets?
    Well seeing that it's bugging you Mr Tubridy why don't you lead by example?

• Advertisement

fontanalis wrote: »
    But they aren't acting like a bunch of teenagers with no solutions.

To an extent - primarily because they have dug a hole for themselves and now can't see how to climb out of it, Germany in particular as they were leading the field and essentially monetary union and the EU is theirs and France's little baby.

They've screwed up majorly and are now trying to abdicate responsibility by blaming it all on Greece - it takes two to tango. Greece couldn't have got themselves in their current situation if Germany et al weren't there to irresponsibly lend them the billions that they misused. They were blinded by avarice, just as our banks were here.

Advertisement