Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Which camera thread

• 09-04-2010 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

hi
    im looking for a digital camera with a budget of 160-200.it will basically be used for landscape portrait and concert photos and some random videos
    ive narrowed down my choice to 2 digital cameras

samsung wb500 or the wb550

I just want to find out is the wb550 worth the extra 60 euro or if there is a better camera for the same money

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I wouldn't buy a samsung digital camera, maybe a TV but definetly not a camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Having sold camera's before, and from personal experience, steer clear of the Samsungs. They're great for a while till something goes wrong. Lenses stick, covers come loose, and the old one I have knocking around needs some amount of coaxing to actually turn on.

You should be able to get a decent Casio for this money. They're well built, most have metal bodies, picture quality is excellent, and represent good value. The gf has one (I can't remember which one) she got it in Jan, and its survived a few knocks.

Other than that Canon and Nikon are another few brands to have a look at. I've had canon dslr's and one has never sat down on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

Effects wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a samsung digital camera, maybe a TV but definetly not a camera

Oh I don't know....my little Samsung NV10 is a beauty, well built and takes
    smashing 10m photos and video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Ok can anyone recommend a good camera around the same price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

NTMK wrote: »
    hi
    im looking for a digital camera with a budget of 160-200.it will basically be used for landscape portrait and concert photos and some random videos
    ive narrowed down my choice to 2 digital cameras

samsung wb500 or the wb550

I just want to find out is the wb550 worth the extra 60 euro or if there is a better camera for the same money

Here we go again.......

I have some doubts about the quality of Samsung cameras too. I know they make some very robust mobile phones, but I have seen problems with their cameras.

You are spoiled for choice of compact cameras in that price bracket. Panasonic, Canon and Fujifilm are worth a look.

Compact cameras can do a great job for landscape shots. Some of the the outdoor shots in this review of the Lumix ZS3 would stand up well to a comparison with DSLRs costing three times the price of the ZS3.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/panasonic/lumix-dmc-zs3/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs3-review-7.html

Concert photos are another matter. Compact camera = small sensor = poor performance in low light. A used DSLR would be a better choice, although you won't get a lot for €200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The Lumix TZ7 seems to be the best all rounder, the only thing is I'm not sure what it would be like in low-light conditions, however. My previous experience with Lumix cameras (older models, admittedly) is that they produce noisy pics. Apart from this, it has a very wide lens for landscapes, a big zoom and it shoots HD video. It may be a little beyond your budget, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

blastman wrote: »
    The Lumix TZ7 seems to be the best all rounder, the only thing is I'm not sure what it would be like in low-light conditions, however. My previous experience with Lumix cameras (older models, admittedly) is that they produce noisy pics. Apart from this, it has a very wide lens for landscapes, a big zoom and it shoots HD video. It may be a little beyond your budget, though.

I think the TZ7 and the ZS3 are the same camera, or at least some of the eBay sellers are listing them as ZS3/TZ7.

My friend who is an ace photographer and has a bunch of high-end DSLRs recently bought one as a handy pocket camera because most reviews rate it as the best compact on the market. He is delighted and amazed with the quality of images it produces. Noise seems well controlled up to ISO400 and really horrible at ISO1600 as you would expect from a compact camera.

The price is a little above the €200 mark. A few eBay sellers are offering refurbs at well below €200 in the usual dishonest fashion. No mention of the fact that they are refurbished in the listing title or Item Condition:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Yep, it's called the ZS3 outside Europe, as far as I know. Why Panasonic insist on this double-naming thing with so many of their cameras is beyond me.

I was sorely tempted to go with this as I wrote in another thread, but the Powershot S90 seems to be a better bet for what I'm after (I can live without the wide lens for now, and not bothered about HD video). It's a good bit beyond the OPs budget, though, as is the new Sony HX5, which looks like a great little camera too.

Advertisement