Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term car hire in Cork?

Options
  • 09-04-2010 4:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

I've posted this in the motoring section, but seeing as I'm in cork for most of my 6 months, this might do the trick too. Anyways, see below:

I'm an Aussie here for a 6 months, and was wondering about car rental and the like. I won't need a car every day so I'm not looking bo buy one but will probably need to rent some for a half day on occasion. Does anybody know if there are car hire companies that rent out cars/small vans by the hour? We have them back home, but I haven't come across any yet here. All the usual suspects I've rang want me to take the car for the day yada yada yada, when all I'll usually need it for is at most 3-4 hours each time.

I suppose if I'm nice enough I might be able to blag one of a mate for the afternoon, but ideally I'd like to know I can get my hands on a motor whenever I need one.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Regards
    GT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

By the hours isn't really a service that is done here, unless you want a taxi with driver - some will do a deal if you are taking them for a few hours, as it means they won't be sitting around at a rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

There's cars down between the court house and the city hall which you can rent by the hour. There's a website but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it now. I'm pretty sure it's not mad expensive though, maybe €6 an hr?

edit: I actually remembered the name of it, not bad for 6am on the train to Dublin.
    Gocar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

They have those cars up by UCC aswelll. You just call the number on the screen and someone will come out to you with the keys for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

and by anglesea st garda station...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GlobalTrekker

Sweet!

Thanks guys. I'll check them out.

I'll let you know how I get on just so someone else can get the heads up on this kind of thing.

Isn't the interweb great all the same!

Regards
    GT

• Advertisement

Just getting back to this now.

Thank guys, the Gocar people seem like exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

Good, big cars too by the sound of it - nothing worse than getting on the interstate roads in a shoebox on wheels and a roadtrain stuck up your exhaust pipe!

Regards,
    GT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Good, big cars too by the sound of it
    not when my friend was using them. he had a fiesta.
    - nothing worse than getting on the interstate roads in a shoebox on wheels and a roadtrain stuck up your exhaust pipe!

luckily there are neither interstates nor roadtrains in this country :)

Nothing like a the front engin grill of a road train tractor three feet from your back bumper to perk you up on the sleepy drives across the outback. This much I know.

Regards,
    GT

Advertisement