Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

landrover freelander

• 09-04-2010 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

hello,

looking for a newer car at the moment and saw a free lander that I quite liked the look of.

I drive 01 car, and the one I saw is a 04, nice low enough mileage and fsh.

I was told that they are not that great to run, parts going and the like.

just wondering if anyone has had any experience with one?

cheers
    Mayoman.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Unless it has a good warranty I would leave it. They are notoriously problematical - like all Land Rovers. You'd be much better off with a Rav4 if you fancy a small 4x4.... or a Vitara.

Dirt really to be honest, the only one I would consider would be an early diesel one without issues for tiny money. I would never invest a good few thousand in one as the chances are the 4wd will give trouble and it costs big bucks to sort. The 1.8 petrol ones are a disaster, the engine is in the wrong environment and is being asked to do too much.

Don't buy it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Nissan X-Trail is a great car. I just sold mine a few days ago. I couldnt fault it for anything apart from being a bit slow and thirsty on the petrol.

It's for sale on carzone for 6k which is good for low miles, FSH and very high spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

si_guru wrote: »
    Unless it has a good warranty I would leave it. They are notoriously problematical - like all Land Rovers. You'd be much better off with a Rav4 if you fancy a small 4x4.... or a Vitara.

Agree that a freelander of that vintage should be avoided. However I had the "pleasure" of a Rav4 of similar age recently and all I kept thinking was what a useless and pointless car. The one I had was a petrol 2wd. It was during the big freeze and there is nothing more stupid looking than a supposed off road car spinning it two front wheels helplessly. Also it has bugger all space in the back and in the boot. Better off with a normal car IMHO. Xtrail at least should have good space in the back and boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 legalsec

Terrible terrible terrible car, mine was 02 nothing but trouble since day one, plus eats petrol used to cost me 100s in petrol each week, happiest day when i sold it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

hello,

looking for a newer car at the moment and saw a free lander that I quite liked the look of.

I drive 01 car, and the one I saw is a 04, nice low enough mileage and fsh.

I was told that they are not that great to run, parts going and the like.

just wondering if anyone has had any experience with one?

cheers
    Mayoman.

A ball of dung mayoman is the car in a toyota dealership btw

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mayoman ngalway

cheers thank you all for your advice

nearly made a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Get an X-trail if you want a good cheap SUV.
    They're much more reliable.

Rav4's look good and such but as many people have already said there's not much space on the inside. Not as much as you'ld expect from a SUV.

And a 4x4 will be good in the winter weather where you can drive around without any trouble in the snow/ice while everyone else is spinning and sliding all over the place. But they're also more expensive to maintain. Though I'ld say a Toyota or Nissan should be fairly reliable and not much should go wrong with it.

Advertisement