Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally shot the missus!

• 09-04-2010 5:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

This was a bit nerve wrecking, got herself to pose and have a bit of fun - she's stayed away from my shooting till now, somehow!

She has done some modelling in the past, which made me a little nervous about the results. And apart from the **** lighting in our sitting room, which gave some blur on the legs because of slight movement - what do you think? -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cagey75/sets/72157623688223433/

Btw, I did forget to put "C&C" in the title, but as I put "what do you think?" in this post ... i suppose you were all free to anyway :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The "waiting for" one is the best imho.

Many suffer as you've suggested due to focus issues. Did you go handheld or use a tripod?

The highlights on some appear blown and unless that was the intention then probably a no-no. The first of the set imho needs a little more wall and furniture and when viewed large has focus issues.

She'll kill you for the odd expression one (oh, but if we hear of a domestic in Navan we'll now what's happened :D).

Overall, if i'm understanding what you were looking to get out of the shoot, then I think you are probably about 90% there. Things to concentrate on imho are focus, highlights, control of light (although in fairness you did quite a good job at it), and how much context to get into the shot.

I can see it now - next stop, studio lighting store ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Having never been brave enough to do a shoot like that, my humble opinion is that they are great shots. The last picture looks like great fun, great expressions in all them really.

Did you intentionaly go for the darkness in the shots or is that just the way they worked out in the end? I'm always curious is there a preplanned vision of what you are working towards or is it just a case of "see where this goes"?

Great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd photoshop out the tat myself. I realise this my offend your girlfriend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

'Awaiting the assassin' is by far the best. The light is a little harsh for the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Firstly - very well done! I can see exactly what you where trying to do, and as ACD already mentioned, you're almost there.

Do not take this too harshly, it's not a critism of you, merely a suggestion of what "I Think" would help in the future.

I like the lighting. I think you've managed very well to get the light to go where you wanted it. It do feel that it's a little too bright it places, for example, the "Awaiting The Assassin" shot (BTW-My favourite of the set), has great fall-off across her legs, but is too bright across her shoulders. Her face doesn't appear to be in focus properly. I'd like to see her eye being tack sharp, and perhaps re-position her head, just a little to cover up the crease line in the sofa.

Can you let us know what set up you where using, camera, lens, lighting methods? We may be able to give you some suggestions that could help you, using what you already have.

If I was you, I'd print these out, circle the very minor issues, and do the exact same shots again. It's a great way to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The lighting was very poor, I had a tall lamp at one end of the sofa and a small directional lamp down in front. I actually ramped up the darkness in processing as I was playing with a kind of film noir mood, in a playful way obviously. So the moody darkness was intentional. A few props might have made that more clear? Like a smoking gun or bloodied rose.

The cam was on a tripod for the wider shots but hand held for the ones closer in at an angle, I was using the 50mm and on the tripod couldn' fit her all into frame.

It was fun doing it anyhow :D I left in the odd expression one for that reason, a bit of silliness.

Thanks for the tips. I would definitely think more on the lighting side of things next time.

Effects wrote: »
    I'd photoshop out the tat myself. I realise this my offend your girlfriend though.

When she was younger, she did some shoots with a photographer who did remove the tat in post processing. I think that annoyed her a bit so I wasn't going to do same. I'm so used to seeing it I forget it's there tbh, but if I was going for a more Lady of the night look or something, I'd position her so it's not visible, rather than remove it, maybe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you shot these with the a200?

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I was going for a more Lady of the night look or something, :)

Moar Fishnetz:D:D

• Advertisement

Heh, ripped ones too. Messed up mascara a smoke and G&T in her hand, a naked male on the sofa with a knife in his back ... ooooh ... ok, getting carried away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

When she was younger, she did some shoots with a photographer who did remove the tat in post processing. I think that annoyed her a bit so I wasn't going to do same. I'm so used to seeing it I forget it's there tbh, but if I was going for a more Lady of the night look or something, I'd position her so it's not visible, rather than remove it, maybe :)
    I know what you mean. I guess it gives a certain look with a panther tattoo. Something I imagine she got when she was young and it wouldn't be nice to clone it out.

She had it done when she was 17 or so, during a more rebellious stage of her life. But she's not ashamed of it or anything, it's part of her for life I guess. But I don't think she'd mind if I asked her to cover it for more sophisticated shots. rather than clone it out.

Heh, ripped ones too. Messed up mascara a smoke and G&T in her hand, a naked male on the sofa with a knife in his back ... ooooh ... ok, getting carried away :D

Ok, now you are starting to sound like Humberklog. Actually, take that more of a compliment than anything ;)

Is he a bit warped? :D

Oh, my mind runs away at times. If I actually shot the things that go through my head my stream would be a bit messed up alright. Keeping it simple is part of the therapy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

The shutter speeds are very slow which explains why some are out of focus. You did well really to keep them any way sharp! (not sure if the Sony has in-body IS). The last one is 1/80th which is about the minimum you would usually aim for with a 50mm on a crop body.

It looks to me like you might be using all focus points instead of single points to pick the bit you want in focus. It didn't seem to say in the EXIF.

Awaiting the Assassin is very nice, well lit and composed. Although as above if you could have focused on her face or used a narrower aperture it would be near perfect :)

The room I shot in is very dark without the main light on [which is too strong, 3 central lights], but it was the most comfortable for herself. Though, in hindsight the bedroom might have worked much better.

I actually used a remote shutter release on the tripod ones [the Sepia toned one, at 1/5 that would have blurred hand-held for sure], but instead of upping the clarity in lightroom, I decreased it. I was going for a soft lighting effect. As the lamps I used were horrible tungsten lighting [really must get some white lights] I did hand hold on the crimson film noir one at 1/30.

The cam was set on local AF, picking from the 9 points. Maybe that was wrong to use?

The sony does have body IS, without it I would have had to up the ISO a lot and it's a bit noisey beyond 400/800 in very dark lighting.

Thanks for the input :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

The room I shot in is very dark without the main light on [which is too strong, 3 central lights], but it was the most comfortable for herself. Though, in hindsight the bedroom might have worked much better.

I actually used a remote shutter release on the tripod ones [the Sepia toned one, at 1/5 that would have blurred hand-held for sure], but instead of upping the clarity in lightroom, I decreased it. I was going for a soft lighting effect. As the lamps I used were horrible tungsten lighting [really must get some white lights] I did hand hold on the crimson film noir one at 1/30.

The cam was set on local AF, picking from the 9 points. Maybe that was wrong to use?

The sony does have body IS, without it I would have had to up the ISO a lot and it's a bit noisey beyond 400/800 in very dark lighting.

Thanks for the input :)

If you leave it on that auto focus setting the camera will select the focus point itself (usually the point closest). You wouldn't really use this setting for most applications. Your best bet is to select centre point focusing. Point the centre point at the place you want in focus, press the shutter release down half way, keeping your finger on it. Then recompose the shot as you wish and press the shutter the full way down to take the photo.

If you are using a tripod use the mode wheel to select another point near where you want to focus.

Not sure about Sony, but with Canon, to select the focus points; There is a button where your thumb is (one of a few), press it down and keep it held, then rotate the selection wheel with your index finger.

Basically, read the manual ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Right, here goes..oh and there is nothing wrong with the tattoo.

#1 Her face as others have said is very very soft and her expression is pretty meh

#2 Sharper but the face she is pulling doesn't do her any favours.

#3 Love the lighting here and how red her lipstick is.

#4 Nice pose and thigh but again her face is badly lit ie overexposed and soft.

#5 Expression and face is excellent if this was a wee bit sharper would be class.

#6 Exactly as #5, almost perfect.

Overall she is good enough to shoot and you pretty much have the right ideas.
    Look forward to your 2nd set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Really like (4) Awaiting & (5) Happiness Keith.
    My wife got my this lighting kit for my birthday last year,
    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-interfit-int182-ex150-mark-ii-two-head-kit/p1025920

It's a great kit, easy to set up and use and it provides great lighting & flash results.
    For this kind of money you can't go wrong.

• Advertisement

Right, here goes..oh and there is nothing wrong with the tattoo.

#1 Her face as others have said is very very soft and her expression is pretty meh

#2 Sharper but the face she is pulling doesn't do her any favours.

#3 Love the lighting here and how red her lipstick is.

#4 Nice pose and thigh but again her face is badly lit ie overexposed and soft.

#5 Expression and face is excellent if this was a wee bit sharper would be class.

#6 Exactly as #5, almost perfect.

Overall she is good enough to shoot and you pretty much have the right ideas.
    Look forward to your 2nd set.

There's only 5 images? Unless you count the extra one I put into Pix?

The one where she's pulling the face was a jokey one, an ice-breaker, never intended to put it in I just liked how it came out in B&W :)

Will certainly do another set. she's Good enough to shoot ... as you put it :D

It's all about seeing what I can do with limited equipment/bad lighting, I think if I can get alright results this way it'll be worth investing in some decent kind of set up at some point and should get even better results.

That's exactly what I want DK32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

If this thread was anywhere else on boards there might be a few disappointed people !

Great title :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

The awaiting assasin one is by far the best out of them. I think the focus is lacking which would also be down to your low lighting. I think the tattoo is of least importance here, if she wanted it gone ok, if not leave it there, its part of her, she got it for a reason so why hide it.

Fair play to you for playing around a bit and learning. Have you access to any stronger lights to help you out?

No, only your every day household lamps really. Trying to put money aside for some gear but it's tough, we're in the middle of a huge fund raiser for our 6yr old at the moment [€50,000 to be raised by Oct for a major op!] So I do feel especially guilty when I buy anything. Was lucky to get the dslr used, didn't feel so bad on that as I'd wanted one for a year :)

I'll keep an eye out for stuff on the cheap though. A wireless flash gun and some half decent lights would be great.

I hate using the on-board flash, think that much is obvious from my recent portraits and these shots. And I don't have any kind of flash gun. I'm sure that would have helped a lot too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

No, only your every day household lamps really. Trying to put money aside for some gear but it's tough, we're in the middle of a huge fund raiser for our 6yr old at the moment [€50,000 to be raised by Oct for a major op!] So I do feel especially guilty when I buy anything. Was lucky to get the dslr used, didn't feel so bad on that as I'd wanted one for a year :)

I'll keep an eye out for stuff on the cheap though. A wireless flash gun and some half decent lights would be great.

I hate using the on-board flash, think that much is obvious from my recent portraits and these shots. And I don't have any kind of flash gun. I'm sure that would have helped a lot too?

Oh my God, sorry to hear that.... Listen I have some old lights around here somewhere, one is damaged but you could have the other with softbox if you wanted. Give you some practice.

our 6yr old at the moment [€50,000 to be raised by Oct for a major op!]

Wow... absolute respect from here man,

Feel free, if you wan't, to throw up some details or a link to the charity/cause, and you may be surprised by the ad-hoc generosity of the forum. If something might be possible then sometimes it is made possible. Sometimes (just occasionally) someone who reads it may have an idea that may assist you along your way. Anyhow, only if you are ok with it.

Cheers & best on this.

I was a bit wary of posting any details about it on here, some forums just like to keep things on topic. I've posted it around elsewhere of course.

This is the web page:

http://helpkayleywalk.com/wordpress/

And the Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=101324599906821

She has Cerebral palsy [the type she has is Spastic Diplegia] and cannot walk, she's 6yrs old now and is still crawling, when not using her K-walker. The only way she will ever have a chance is if she has selective dorsal Rhizotomy - and the only place possible to get this done is in the US. the procedure costs almost $40,000 and we would pretty much have to live over there as a family [we have a 2 year old too] for over a month. During which she would receive [pre + post-op] physio every day.

Of course all donations are welcomed :) The details are on the site and FB page. We just passed the 2k mark this week, it's slowly building, but a hell of a long way to go.

That's very kind of you Smelltheglove, but only if it's not a huge hassle or cost to send :)

Advertisement