Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ohmmmmmmmmm

• 09-04-2010 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2010/apr/08/transcendental-meditation-depression
    ...And now another meditative remedy – the TM (Transcendental Meditation) method, best known for its celebrity devotees such as the Beatles, Mia Farrow, Donovan and David Lynch – has been found to reduce depressive symptoms by around a half among older people.

Hmm, more hocus pocus or is there actually something to this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I personally kill people on the internet to chill out but others like to just relax and meditate.

Take the silly hippiness and ooooohhhhhmmmm malarky away and I can't help but agree that going somewhere quiet and contemplating can't but help some people. I don't see it as hocus pocus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

eoin5 wrote: »

hasn't medication always been considered a good way to improve your mental well being, like getting enough sleep or exercise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Wicknight wrote: »
    hasn't medication always been considered a good way to improve your mental well being, like getting enough sleep or exercise?

Someone's on happy pills :). I wouldn't class meditation as hocus pocus. Soft music/sounds, close your eyes and relax your mind. As long as you don't then start silently mouthing prayers to a higher being I think it's a perfectly rational and healthy exercise. Personally I don't understand why it's typically shown to be done on a floor with your knees crossed and your palms up, that's uncomfortable. But to sit back or lie down and meditate/relax is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

NothingMan wrote: »
    Someone's on happy pills :)

More drugs :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I personally kill people on the internet to chill out but others like to just relax and meditate.
    LOL, likewise.

Thank Odin for COD Modern Warfare and broadband. :)

I like driving on my own to relax too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm too lazy to read about TM, but 'normal' meditation isn't necessarily magical or hocus pocus, and is generally considered beneficial if for no other reason then relaxation. Can't hurt tbh.

Sam Harris is a fan of meditation :)

Can't say I'm into it meself. I tend to fall asleep. Which isn't a bad thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Well if it reduces stress then it's not hocus pocus as chronic stress has a profoundly deleterious effect on the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Well I'd say we can agree that all the mysticism involved is on shakey ground.

Advertisement