Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding contract signing for a house

Options
  • 09-04-2010 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

I have a question regarding contracts when buying a house. I have agreed a price to purchase a house. My solicitor received contracts last week. What is the next step here. I thought that my solicitor would then post them out to me to view and see if I happy with it, am I right on this?. My solicitor sent me a letter to to confirm he had contracts and for me to arrange meeting with him to sign contracts and to arrange to have 10% deposit, I rang my solicitor to arrange meeting, but didnt actually speak to him, and I raised concern that if I wasnt happy with the contract why would I be signing and why would I have the 10%, I was told that by the secetary that this can all be arranged there and then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭3DataModem

This is standard for residential property purchase. You sign and hand over 10%. Once you do you are comitted to the deal, unless there is an expiration date on the contracts.

The contract should stipulate the closing date (balance of money swapped with keys) and also any special provisions (parking space, furniture, etc).

If it ain't in the contract, then it's not binding. Make sure you ask your solicitor about any details agreed with the agent or seller beforehand,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

as the last poster said this is standard operating procedure for a hosue purchase.

That said if you have a 92% mortgage most of the time you can arrange to pay 8% deposit.

As for you not being happy with the contract what exactly do you mean ? Your buying a house not renting the contract is little more than an agreement that you will pay X for the house. Theres not really anything that you can be "unhappy" about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

D3PO wrote: »
    as the last poster said this is standard operating procedure for a hosue purchase.

That said if you have a 92% mortgage most of the time you can arrange to pay 8% deposit.

As for you not being happy with the contract what exactly do you mean ? Your buying a house not renting the contract is little more than an agreement that you will pay X for the house. Theres not really anything that you can be "unhappy" about.

What I was trying to get at was the likes of the special provisions such as Funiture, BER rating, structural survey. It was agreed that a couple items of funiture would be left, and that I wanted a BER rating done, but of course they may not be in the contract, that was were I was coming from, apologies for not being clearer. There is no issues with price or deposit, they have asked for 10%, but I am only providing 8% but that isnt a probleam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    What I was trying to get at was the likes of the special provisions such as Funiture, BER rating, structural survey. It was agreed that a couple items of funiture would be left, and that I wanted a BER rating done, but of course they may not be in the contract, that was were I was coming from, apologies for not being clearer. There is no issues with price or deposit, they have asked for 10%, but I am only providing 8% but that isnt a probleam.

well a BER is a legal requirment for selling besides which why would you sign saying a ber is to be provided. surely you would want to see if before signing the contract !!

structural survey erm thats up to you and again why would you sign a legaly binding agreement before seeing a survey ?

as for the contents thats included in the contract as standard so just check it before signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

UNLESS the house is old,like 40 years plus, most people dont get a structural survey, ie its not necessary on a standard semi detached house.
    its good to read it, ie my pals contract has a rule, that no alteration can be made,re extensions etc without the councils permission, and the house cannot be subdivided for rental purposes ,ie its a single residence.
    Cos the land was given to the builder by the council, ie its a private house,its not in a council estate.YOU should know the ber rating be4 you buy anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement