Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Ireland Teams (U23) ZLM tour and Cote de Picardie

• 09-04-2010 10:03am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Cycling Ireland have entered teams in both the Cote de Picarde (14th April) in France and ZLM Tour (17th April) in Holland next week. This is part of a series of U23 Nations Cup events the riders from the Elite and Development U23 squads from Ireland will be racing in this year. Further events include the Giro del Regioni, Italy (26th-27th April) and Coupe de Nations in Quebec, Canada (June 3rd-6th).

The Performance Director Phil Leigh is happy to announce the following riders for the Cote de Picarde and ZLM Tour.

The Ireland Team will be led by in-form Philip Lavery who has made an excellent start to 2010 with wins in Ireland and Belgium already to his name. The best of these coming over Easter in the 4 day P&O Tour of the North where he took two stages and the overall. This is a young team, but all selected riders have shown form in the early part of the year and these races will be part of a learning process where performance and results will be analysed closely.

Halpin, Jelfs and Buggle are already based abroad and will travel from their bases while the rest of the team will fly from Ireland.

1. Philip Lavery
    2. Thomas Martin
    3. Stephen Halpin
    4. Dominic Jelfs
    5. Conor McAllister
    6. Aaron Buggle

That's a strong line up.
    Lavery's results are outstanding and Halpin and Buggle are placing regularly in Belgium and France.
    Expect results ......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I think this is a good use of CI's financial resources!

Lads like this certainly deserve these opportunities

Some of the spending on the track has been doubious in my opinion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I presume Thomas Martin is Dan's younger brother?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

el tonto wrote: »
    I presume Thomas Martin is Dan's younger brother?

No I think it Thomas Martin the rider for Derry/Limavady direction but will check

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Just noticed a Thomas Martin for Eurocycles. Are they sponsoring a Northern team now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Thomas Martin was with Clann Eireann last year but I think is riding with Eurocycles this year.

• Advertisement

I think there are two Tom Martins! one from north?

the other is Daniel Martin's brother!? rode for CC Giro in UK and went to Marseille I think last year?!?

Isn't Eurocycles a northern team? Don't they have shops up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Comm2

According to Tommy Campbell we have him to thank for this...:rolleyes: that mans comments never cease to amaze me.

Thomas Martin is from Co. Armagh, riding this year on the Eurocycles team. There is a strong contingent of Ulster riders on the Eurocycles sqaud this year (Adam Armstrong, Frazer Duncan, Conor Murphy & Thomas Martin)

Glad to see a good irish squad competeing in these class of races, hopefully it will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 feltAR2

Dominic Jelfs ?????????????

is this lad a tony cascarino of cycling. his great great great granny is from ireland.

no results to be found anywhere.
    the rest of the team is great but i thought simon williams deserved a shot as he is goin really well

What about the lads in Marseille too?

Bennett and Downey?

Maybe they are riding it with their club!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 waluigi

i dont see buggles name in the results but my resources tell me he finished just inside the top 50 or there abouts..

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

40 Philip Lavery (Irl) Ireland
    93 Thomas Martin (Irl) Ireland
    HD Dominic Jelfs (Irl) Ireland

It is possible that some of the lads did n't make it due to the Volcanic ash / Flight situation ?

Joe

What about the lads in Marseille too?

Bennett and Downey?

Maybe they are riding it with their club!?!?

Depends on whether or not VCLP have an interest in it i guess? I think their primary focus will be the French Cup races which seem to be a big deal over there.
    VCLP appear to have a pretty solid track record of progressing their riders on to bigger and better things, so imagine the 2 irish lads are are under suitable management there.

its a nations cup race no club teams allowed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

feltAR2 wrote: »
    its a nations cup race no club teams allowed

There were a number of continental and pro continental teams though, is it just "amateur" teams that are not allowed ?

VCLP lads riding U23 Liege Bastogne Liege. Nice.

can u show a link to where u saw pro teams riding in picardi please

Apart form Ireland, GB, Russian federation, Germany and a few more :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Note: Wouldn't be up to speed on UCI regs re u23 races but in ZLM Tour in 2007 appeared to have non-national team riders in top 3 placings:

http://www.zlmtour.nl/en/race_information/palmares

Also a few years back I was aware of an Irish rider riding for his continental team in a u23 world cup race.

can u show a link to where u saw pro teams riding in picardi please

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=17127

Thüringer Energie Team (TET) - CONT
    Itera - Katusha (TIK) - CONT
    Sava (SAK) - CONT
    lud & Marstrand - LRØ Radgivning (GLU) - CONT
    Trek - Livestrong u23 (TLS) - CONT
    Van Vliet - EBH - Elshof (VVE) - CONT
    Rabobank CT (RB3) - CONT
    Saur - Sojasun (SAU) - PROF
    Price - Custom Bikes (PCB) - CONT

Jeeezz Rob,

The lengths some people put you to to prove to them your knowledge of cycling! Have they nothing better to do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 theblackman

Lads I gaurantee you Phillip Lavery will finish in the top 20 today in the ZLM tour and will be Ireland highest placed rider.

Lads I gaurantee you Phillip Lavery will finish in the top 20 today in the ZLM tour and will be Ireland highest placed rider.

Ha ha silly assumption to make but we'll see!

PS Anyone know why does Cycling Ulster refer to Philip Lavery as "Cycling Ulster's Philip Lavery" at http://www.cyclingulster.com/?thenewsid=3968&newstable=news ?

Have they claimed ownership of him?? CU aint a club technically even is it ??

OK so he guested for them a few races this season in Ireland or is there more to it than that??

In case you didnt know Phillips mother is from the North of Ireland so as far as I know he is allowed to ride for Ulster.....lots more opportunities for him riding for Ulster.They pick them on merit in Ulster ....dont have to to put up the BS of CI politics.

Oh by the way...on my silly assupmtion of Phillip being in the top 20 toady and the highest placed Irish rider...I guess you didnt see his ride in the Tour of the North in a team that had two riders that were junior last year.

In case you didnt know Phillips mother is from the North of Ireland so as far as I know he is allowed to ride for Ulster.....lots more opportunities for him riding for Ulster.They pick them on merit in Ulster ....dont have to to put up the BS of CI politics.

Does where your mum is from qualify you for provincial teams? what about grannies? or if your club team based there ? or if u live there but race for a team or are from a different province yourself!?!

Contrary to you comment "dont have to to put up the BS of CI politics" CU has to "put up" with the same criteria laid down by CI as per the 3 other provinces.

As per CU's website: "Cycling Ulster is one of four Provincial Bodies within Cycling Ireland which is registered as a company limited by guarantee, with the Irish Companies Office under the name Irish Cycling Federation. Company Registration Number – 134567
    Cycling Ulster recognises the position of Cycling Ireland as the body which will hold the affiliation to the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) for the island of Ireland."

Oh by the way...on my silly assupmtion of Phillip being in the top 20 toady and the highest placed Irish rider...I guess you didnt see his ride in the Tour of the North in a team that had two riders that were junior last year.

Why not top 15 or 30?

Do other lads not stand a chance?

• Advertisement

I you look at my user name it should give you some insight where Im from..so no point asking me questions about how cycling operates on the Ireland of Ireland.All I was doing was shedding some light on what I also find a bit difficult to comprehend.After all what would I know...:cool:

I you look at my user name it should give you some insight where Im from..so no point asking me questions about how cycling operates on the Ireland of Ireland.All I was doing was shedding some light on what I also find a bit difficult to comprehend.After all what would I know...:cool:

You from Africa?

Black rock? (Dublin Cork or Louth)?

hmmmmmmm

You aint a Black P________ ______d by any chance are you? They could be from anywhere!

This is a discussion forum - no harm in asking questions even if some deem them stupid.

You seem to be claiming an air of authority on the whole subject.

For me personally you have shed no great light on the subject at all

PS good luck to Phil and all the lads today !!!

So I see politics is still very healthy...no wonder sport is F_____D...With remarks like yours.I wonder you have done to enhance cycling in Country because I know what I have done....I dont hide on forums .Can meet you for a coffee anytime you like.Unfortunately I cant hide like you"Would need a blaclava"

So I see politics is still very healthy...no wonder sport is F_____D...With remarks like yours.I wonder you have done to enhance cycling in Country because I know what I have done....I dont hide on forums .Can meet you for a coffee anytime you like.Unfortunately I cant hide like you"Would need a blaclava"

It is your opinion the sport if ******, I don't think so.

You are condemning my remarks - granted they may have been a bad attempt at humour but that is what they were! They were made tongue in cheek. I have no reason to believe you are any more from the North than from Cork, and it's none of my business only that you teased me to guess by hinting towards your name in a previous post.

I have done things to improve the sport myself which I am proud of. Glad you have too - well done.

Fact is in the context of boards.ie, you and me are both hiding behind pseudonyms which we are entitled to do under boards.ie terms unless we are very bold boys!

No interest in meeting you for coffee given our assumed geopgraphical spread. The whole idea of this internet thing is to eliminate or at least reduce such necessities.

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_4747.shtml

Here is my answer to you mate.:mad: I didnt say Cycling is F_____D..I said with comments like yours no wonder sport is F____D.

Just to set the record straight I am effectionately know as the BLACKMAN..the length and breadth of this country in the Cycling Community.

I would be the last person to racially insult anybody.

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_4747.shtml

Here is my answer to you mate.:mad: I didnt say Cycling is F_____D..I said with comments like yours no wonder sport is F____D.

Just to set the record straight I am effectionately know as the BLACKMAN..the length and breadth of this country in the Cycling Community.

I would be the last person to racially insult anybody.

Given your indicated knowledge of Ulster Cycling and the widely known term in Ireland 'Black P*****tant' I wrongly assumed you were from the North, so I apologise for my lightly made insinuations that you may be from the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have absolutely no idea what this argument is about.

Crossed wires, people trying to be funny with sectarian comments, really you don't want to.

All you need to know is that Philip Lavery is perfectly entitled to ride for Cycling Ulster because his mother is from there.

If you read some of Slideshowbobs comments you would notice that some of them are very derogatory.It should not matter where anybody lives or comes from as to wether or not they have a say on anything.We are all entitled our own opinions except when you want to make racial remarks a bit of thought should go in.If you read the thread from the beginning I am sure you will understand it.Slideshowbob has however apologised for some of his comments.

If you read some of Slideshowbobs comments you would notice that some of them are very derogatory.It should not matter where anybody lives or comes from as to wether or not they have a say on anything.We are all entitled our own opinions except when you want to make racial remarks a bit of thought should go in.If you read the thread from the beginning I am sure you will understand it.Slideshowbob has however apologised for some of his comments.

Are you accusing me of making racist remarks? where so?

Lumen feel free by all means to move this to tedious bickering as it has decended to such!

• Advertisement

Lumen feel free by all means to move this to tedious bickering as it has decended to such!

I lived in Ulster for a while and what Bob said would have been seen as harmless banter there.

I too got the impression the Blackman might be Jackie Watson BTW !

@ theblackman Half right By the way (and did you organise some underage and vets races recently ??)

and

@Bob a friend of yours doing well
    http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=17220

thats me alright,,,,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just let it lie!

Thats it Lumen...live and let live.No hard feelings to anybody.:cool::cool::cool:

To get back to the fundamental points here I think to 'big-up' particular young amateur riders on public forums by predicting their placings etc only puts pressure on them.

It has also denigrating and demoralising for other team members if they happen to stumble upon this waffle later on.

The team tactics for Irish teams I am sure are worked out between the team and its Manager at the race - no need for us here to go assuming who will be a favoured / protected rider etc.

As it turned out young Buggle didn't do too badly either.

as for your prognostics the Blackman, I'm glad Paddy Power were not taking bets on the race as PL didn't make top 20 as you predicted!!

Thats it Lumen...live and let live.No hard feelings to anybody.:cool::cool::cool:

All well and good but to clear the matter up you might just clarify whether your insinuation of whether I was being racist or not stands?

Judging by what was said by Robfowl i dont think there was any malice meant:cool:.so to answer your question I dont think you are a racist.

I still would have put my money on Phillip getting a top 20 placing today.He got away with Rowe on the last lap of the town and was brought back.All the same it was good to see all the Irish lads finish today.:cool:

Thanks for that the Blackman - no hard feelings.

For any further confusion required to anyone regarding Northern political intricacies, one can always refer to such delights as below:

http://www.givemyheadpeace.co.uk/?gclid=CPLmoPidjqECFRUslAodIBvBOQ

:P

Thats the reason I live in Ireland bob....I ran away from all that BS in South Africa.But I think the North was a little worse than SA.:mad:

Thanks for that the Blackman - no hard feelings.

For any further confusion required to anyone regarding Northern political intricacies, one can always refer to such delights as below:

http://www.givemyheadpeace.co.uk/?gclid=CPLmoPidjqECFRUslAodIBvBOQ

:P

I find this one a bit more cutting ;)

http://www.portadownnews.com/archive.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement