Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Ireland Teams (U23) ZLM tour and Cote de Picardie

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cyclingulster

Come on lads stop complaining. Cycling Ulster is not a club but one of the four provincial federations of CI. Perhaps one of the reasons Ulster riders are doing so well is because we field provincial teams giving riders a chance to represent more than their club. All our riders are honoured to represent the province and quite a few go on to get the opportunity to represent their country.
    Nobody seems to complain about the southern clubs who take virtually every Ulster rider who starts to show promise. None of them were interested in them when they competed at Youth or Junior level yet it was their local clubs who really produced the cyclist. Rant over.

Tommy Lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Come on lads stop complaining. Cycling Ulster is not a club but one of the four provincial federations of CI. Perhaps one of the reasons Ulster riders are doing so well is because we field provincial teams giving riders a chance to represent more than their club. All our riders are honoured to represent the province and quite a few go on to get the opportunity to represent their country.
    Nobody seems to complain about the southern clubs who take virtually every Ulster rider who starts to show promise. None of them were interested in them when they competed at Youth or Junior level yet it was their local clubs who really produced the cyclist. Rant over.

Tommy Lamb

Thanks for the input Mr. Lamb. You made some good points.

If it's not too much bother, can you say what the criteria are to make one eligible to represent CU or the other 3 provinces?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cyclingulster

We use a number of criteria. Obviously born within the 9 counties of Ulster is the main one. We also consider those with a parent born in the province. No-one complains about Nicolas Roche or Dan Martin representing Ireland- and why should they even though NR came up through the French system and Dan represented GB on a number of occasions.
    Another consideration is someone domesticated in the province...eg settled here permanently and living here for some time. (This is at the discretion of Cycling Ulster).
    One of the most important points is that we consider riders who are proud to and want to ride in the Ulster jersey.
    Some of the big club racing teams have a bigger racing budget than CU. Remember although we may have more money overall we must budget for every aspect of our sport and not just racing teams.
    I think that every province should consider fielding provincial teams as a stepping stone to National teams. And also some may only have the ability to ride at provincial level but it gives them something to achieve.

Tommy Lamb
    Chairman
    Cycling Ulster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 theblackman

I just got word that Phillip Laverys brother Thomas Lavery has won a A3 race in Carrick.We might see him selected for CU now.:cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 waluigi

waluigi wrote: »
    profane bitterness removed

Dude relax

make your point but no need for personal insults or profanities!!

lookin at you previous threads u said u rode this race before - so obviously you been there done that - care to elaborate!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

waluigi wrote: »
    mod edit

I take it you dont like philip Lavery? Whats he like personality wise?

Michelin wrote: »
    I take it you dont like philip Lavery? Whats he like personality wise?

Maybe you shouldn't ask someone for their opinion on a young amateur rider's personality in a public forum!? How is it anyone's business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

Maybe you shouldn't ask someone for their opinion on a young amateur rider's personality in a public forum!? How is it anyone's business?

I was wondering were waluigi was coming from as ur right it may be unfair to ask that on a public forum.
    But as someone was accusiing him of being arrogant.. I was hoping to hear others come in his defence!

• Advertisement

ok but he is just a young lad trying to do good - doesn't need this waffle thrown at him. It should go without saying but I gather he has a right to privacy!!!

Call Cav, Boonen, Cancellara all sorts by all means!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 theblackman

I will not stoop to the depths of some comments made waluigi, like Bob said this is just a young man trying to do good,who happened to spend a lot of time in my company on and off the bike.I have heard a lot said about his arrogance, personally I have never seen it.Mark Cavendish and LA are very nice men......?the only two people that one couldn't get access to during the Tour of Ireland.Personal vedettas should not taken out in forums like this.
    As you sound like a fairly young man waluigi,you should do your talking on your bike and leave the forums for the arm chair pundits.How is it ok to say Staven Gerard or Wayne Rooney is ones favourite player but when you support a young Irish Rider you told to suck his......I have nothing against any other rider on any Irish Team.I just happen to know Phil very well and will continue to support him publicly as long as he rides he bike the way he does...Out on the front...and am neither ashamed or embarrsed to voice my opinions.

Gerald Francis
    Longford CC.

Advertisement