Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Inch

Options
  • 09-04-2010 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I'm surfing at Inch in Kerry tomorrow, and it's my first time at that particular beach. Was wondering if anyone could give me a heads-up on any regular currents/hazards etc there that wouldn't be visible? I should be okay to spot the rips myself, but any pointers or orientation would be much appreciated as it's a new spot for me.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

Really? It's just a big long beach, there's not much else to say....rips come and go, deal with them the way you do at any other beach.
    Watch out for drift if you don't want a long walk home.
    Good food in Sammies afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

Really? It's just a big long beach

Haha, people have come a cropper, including myself, on many's a seemingly harmless-looking "big long beach" so there's never any harm in asking. You should never be too cavalier about these things, my rule of thumb is if you haven't surfed somewhere before, get advice. There are many dangerous, unseen currents along the west coast of Ireland caused by the shape of the seafloor and its interaction with tides, all the more dangerous because they aren't visible to the naked eye.
    For instance Lahinch seems safe enough on first glance, but the limestone pavement on the far left did a good job of cheesgrating my helmet when I capsized there during a surf kayaking club session years ago. I probably should have clocked that hazard before getting in, but I missed it. Trá na Rossan in Donegal is a benign-looking beach but locally is known as a seriously risky place to surf if you don't watch the drifts. The list goes on. Sorry, this is something I'm zealous about to the point of killing a thread, I do think a lot of people rock up to beaches and blindly get into the water without checking the local dynamics (hence the consternation over the secret surf spot map) so I opt for the overly-cautious approach myself ;).

Thanks for your response though, good to know it's safe enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

drove down to inch from Cork yesterday ,it took me 2 hours but it was well worth the spin . some very nice waves coming in and it was a beautiful day as well , me thinks i'll be making another spin down this wknd

Advertisement