Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fume type smell in Sitting room

• 09-04-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hello Everyone
    We have a problem in our house, a 5/6 year old semi-D.
    When we put the central heating on in the evening the sitting room gets an awful unhelathy fume type smell.
    The boiler is nowhere near the sitting room, its in the utility room out the back.
    The smell is only in the sitting room, not the kitchen (which is nearer the boiler) or the bedrooms.
    Last year we sealed up the chimney in the sitting room because of the relentless wind noise coming from it.
    I guess the problem could be related to this, but i don't understand why.
    I hope i don't have to open it up again just so we can have a draughty hole in our sitting room.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Cookie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Best get it checked out by a pro. Who sealed chimney? condenstation will be a problem if no vented, this can cause mould, that smells.

is your neighbours chimney backed on to yours? maybe be a crack, unlikely but get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cookiepus

Thanks Mickey
    Chimney was sealed by some roof guys who improvised gluing on a slate.
    It stopped the wind noise for which i am eternally grateful.
    And the room is warmer.
    There no vents anywhere in the hose as far as i can see.
    what kind of pro should i call?
    do ordinary plumers have expertise with this kind of thing?
    I hope im not told to open all the doors & windows anytime i switch the heat on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

By any chance is it a double chimney and the flue of the boiler is using the second chimney? This is a wired one. If the neighbours chimney is backing onto yours could they have there boiler flue going up there chimney and as said before there might be a crack in the lining.

Advertisement