Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adult cavaliers

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

What is it at the moment with the amount of adult dogs for sale esp adult cavaliers. Some seem to be making sure people know that they are about to go in heat. Another thing im worried about, at least by these ads is, are there going to be any people left in Ireland. It seems everyone is leaving??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I know Roxie, its awful isnt it. I always wonder about these "genuine reasons for selling" and why they are selling their lovely pet, its awful.

I cannot even imagine selling my dog, hes with me til the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I just did a search and found loads for sale. :(

Also a "purebred Papillon, non-reg" which looks nothing like a Papillon to me and says that they can be bred well with Cavaliers and Poms.

The other day I saw "Purebred non-reg British shorthair kittens". They were definitely just normal kittens. That's not really anything to do with it . . . but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

was just flicking through and saw this one
    gonzo is a lovely friendly pure bred boxer dog who had an accident recently with his eye, unfortunatly i have lost my job and can not afford to look after him anymore. he is nearly one year old and comes with papers and microchip. he needs some vetinary attention

Full?id=2813553

FYI contacted a local welfare group to see if they can help on this one

PaulB91 wrote: »
    was just flicking through and saw this one

Full?id=2813553

FYI contacted a local welfare group to see if they can help on this one

:( poor dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Unfortunately, pure bred dogs can come with a lot of health problems, the cavalier for example is a known breed to have heart problems from an early age. The expenses involved can be huge.

It is disheartening to see so many adult dog up for sale non lthe less and I do hope there are ligit reasons for selling for the animals sake :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

had a call from a girl i know, i think this is been sorted. poor boxer, not only does his eye look bad but he looks like he is starving. hopefully this dog will be rescued. Stupid person is even giving papers, fingers x that he dont end up with breeders

morganafay wrote: »
    :( poor dog

welfare group already got him :D so he should be alright now poor lad

Unfortunately, pure bred dogs can come with a lot of health problems, the cavalier for example is a known breed to have heart problems from an early age. The expenses involved can be huge.

It is disheartening to see so many adult dog up for sale non lthe less and I do hope there are ligit reasons for selling for the animals sake :(

Totally agree about the health probs with the cavalier but the drugs aint expensive, Ralph a cav i had who died with this several yrs ago was on 3 types of tablets daily, think the cost was only about €12 a week. Not a fortune, sure i would spend that on mags a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Also, if anyone decided to buy a purebred dog which they know could possibly develope particular problems then they really should factor in the cost of insurance into their budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MHDesigns

I think since 'Pedigree Dogs Exposed' was aired people have become more aware of the health problems with pedigree dogs and so are more conscious of who they buy their pups from. I wudnt be surprised if a lot of those adult dogs are ex breeding dogs from backyard breeders.
    Also with the dreaded R word some people cant afford to keep their dogs, although I would go hungry so could feed mine, they are part of the family and selling them would be the same as selling my children :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Thats soo weird you have started a thread on this - I was only commenting to a friend the other day about the amount of adult CKC's for sale on a certain website. I couldn't believe it and was actually getting really upset just looking at them - would love to take them all home. I don't beleive that any of these adds are for real though - if someone really had a dog that they couldn't look after anymore due to not being able to afford the dog or they are emigrating etc...surely all you would be interested in is finding a good home for your dog and not making a profit out of it i.e. selling the dog on these websites!!:mad:

Thats soo weird you have started a thread on this - I was only commenting to a friend the other day about the amount of adult CKC's for sale on a certain website. I couldn't believe it and was actually getting really upset just looking at them - would love to take them all home. I don't beleive that any of these adds are for real though - if someone really had a dog that they couldn't look after anymore due to not being able to afford the dog or they are emigrating etc...surely all you would be interested in is finding a good home for your dog and not making a profit out of it i.e. selling the dog on these websites!!:mad:
    totally agree with ya. i know i shouldnt be doing this but seen a add on a website this morning about a 4 and half yr old cav female, such a sad face, kept going back to pic. any hows am on my way to pick her up shortly. there asking €70 aint really got it but felt so sorry for her and yes i know shouldnt be giving these money to these people but says she was never breed from, wife is going back to work and dog is stuck in house all day by herself.

good on ya! was thinking about the boxer myself - but with 4 large dogs already pulling me down the road i don't think it would have been wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Well even though I don't agree with people selling the dogs - I'm glad to see at least one of them if getting a good home - fair play to you roxiesmammy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

good on ya! was thinking about the boxer myself - but with 4 large dogs already pulling me down the road i don't think it would have been wise

Thought your head would be ticking over considering the option of taking him yourself!

totally agree with ya. i know i shouldnt be doing this but seen a add on a website this morning about a 4 and half yr old cav female, such a sad face, kept going back to pic. any hows am on my way to pick her up shortly. there asking €70 aint really got it but felt so sorry for her and yes i know shouldnt be giving these money to these people but says she was never breed from, wife is going back to work and dog is stuck in house all day by herself.

Well done you :)

I saw that add this morning(well think its the same one, a blenhem?) and was going to ring, even though i really dont have room for another one. Did you see how filthy the poor little thing was :eek:

I'm sure you will be rewarded with endless love and devotion :)

:D would this be her by chance
    View2?id=2806283

look at this poor lad - "free to good home" boxer/collie mix, 6 months old

Full?id=2696747

and another
    Free to good home ..Wanted ...someone who loves dogs and will be willing to take on a boxer dog with some health issues. Shes a beautiful dog that has mast stem cell problems and is being managed with steroids as i dont want to take her down the chemo operation root....she needs an enclosure thats safe and a warm bed to live out her days. The vet reckons she has anything from a year to 5 yrs...to live. I am moving to England and am not able to bring her with me.

View2?id=2788223

i can't understand why people leave family pets go - i have had the odd argument with my partner about the hounds and she know she be gone first hahaha

:D would this be her by chance

Thats the one i was on about anyway, the poor thing is filthy :mad:

That boxerXcollie looks so sad :(

• Advertisement

i'm going to have to stop looking now
    3 yr old fantastic dogue de bordeaux. very large dog, loves kids. used to cats and other dogs. house and lead trained. very quiet dog. due to house move and not enough space. would like him to go to family.he is nuetered so no breeding. willing to swop for bull terrier or sell for good offer as money not the issue as long as he gets gud home.

That's great that the boxer will be looked after now anyway :)

If I had money and my own place then I'd buy all those Cavaliers . . . and find good homes for them or keep them. :(

I know that's giving money to them, but really, when I get a job and move out then I'm gonna do that!

another one for the made up name brigade
    A very rare breed pup we call them dachback pups they are a cross between a Dachshund and a Rodheisn Ridqueback they are very cute and friendly pups there are 2 males ONLY 1 LEFT

View2?id=2662396

And I saw kittens for sale for €300 each, mother is Maine Coon, apparently . . . though they look like normal kittens . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Dachshound & Rhodesian Ridgeback!?!?!?

Noopti wrote: »
    Dachshound & Rhodesian Ridgeback!?!?!?

err ye - was trying to work that one out myself - think they might have borrowed a step ladder

ahh this is winding me up
    TED IS A 12MTH OLD TERRIERX HE IS very quiet and would make a good GUARD DOG VERY GOOD WITH KIDS and gets on well with other animals 2 GOOD HOME ONLY HE HAS A GOOD TEMPERMENT WOULD SUIT AS COMPANION TO A ELDERLY PERSON who likes walking and good on the lead ted or teddy loves his space to and loves chasing crows that annoy him ted is also NEUTERD

Full?id=2357070

err ye - was trying to work that one out myself - think they might have borrowed a step ladder

My friend has a JRT X Wolfhound! I didn't ask which was the mother and which was the father . . .

morganafay wrote: »
    My friend has a JRT X Wolfhound! I didn't ask which was the mother and which was the father . . .

:D LMAO

right, getting a lotto ticket tonight, will obviously win the millions, buy a farm, sort out the outhouses and get of these bow wows somewhere warm and dry and with love to live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

It's an unfortunate reality that comes with hard times - people suddenly realise just how much it is to keep a pet and no longer want to put in the investment. Obviously, sometimes there is a genuine reason for selling a pet and often it is the last option (eg. child develops allergy, lost job, emigrating etc.) but so many "genuine" reasons are very petty things that I couldn't imagine ever giving up one of mine for.

Pounds and rescues are stuffed beyond belief and so many are former family pets that are no longer wanted. Loads of dogs are pure breeds that are just tossed aside when the owners no longer want to deal with them. My main concern with people selling pure breed dogs is that so many are not neutered and people don't really do home checks etc. so their beloved family pet could end up in a terrible situation due to the charisma of the buyer. Many breeders downsize or stop breeding a certain breed and so sell their dogs, which often come with health and behavioural problems that the new owner then has to deal with. Breeders (just to note, when a say "breeders" I really mean "sh*t, scumbag breeders") will get rid of dogs that do not produce decent litters and it sickens me that these people lie blatantly to the buyers about "genuine" reasons for selling the dog. :mad:

Advertisement