Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adult cavaliers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Oh yeah, oh one website I saw something like

"We rehome your dog for you. We are a rescue and will come and take your dog off your hands. We'll pick up dangerous dogs. We rehome:
    Pitbulls
    Staffies
    Rotties
    Akita
    German Shepherds"
    (Basically just all "dangerous" dog breeds).

It sounds really dodgy to me . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Obviously, sometimes there is a genuine reason for selling a pet

I don't think there is actually. I agree that there might be a genuine reason to get rid of a pet, but to want money for it as well? That doesn't sound very genuine to me... Surely you would take it to a rescue or try and find it a home for nothing?

Although I have heard that some people put a price in the ad to put off the chancers and unscrupulous sorts, but don't actually take any money once they find someone genuine.

I think I'll have to stop looking at this thread, it's making me cry. I grew up with a boxer and I want both those two :(

shanagarry wrote: »
    I don't think there is actually. I agree that there might be a genuine reason to get rid of a pet, but to want money for it as well? That doesn't sound very genuine to me... Surely you would take it to a rescue or try and find it a home for nothing?

Although I have heard that some people put a price in the ad to put off the chancers and unscrupulous sorts, but don't actually take any money once they find someone genuine.

I think I'll have to stop looking at this thread, it's making me cry. I grew up with a boxer and I want both those two :(

Yeah, I'd be kinda wary of giving away a pet (on the internet). You'd want to ask for something for it . . . but I wouldn't sell my pets on the internet anyway (I wouldn't sell them anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

yeah the pic that was posted is the one. Susie is her name and OMG what a state the poor thing is in. I cant describe the state she is in, the dirt, where she is supposed to be white is yellow. the stink i can not begin to describe it. Its not a dirty, wet dog smell its ???????. Her teeth are rotten, when asked what she eats told anything off the table. they said she hasnt had a litter well that is bullsh**t.
    dont think she has ever been on lead, and the funny thing was he, whoever he was, wasnt the person on add, was told first his wife was dropping her then was told his brother, anyhows i was told to look after her as she was spoilt?????
    the worst thing is what i thought was she was over weight im now convinced she could be pregnant. Her boobs are hanging and her belly is more i think a pregnant belly. So if she is, maybe im wrong, hopefully i am and she is just overweight, but if she is preg i would imagine there not pb and that is why she was sold. Will have at vets monday, if at all poss tomorrow as my vet will take emergencys on sat.
    At this stage if she is i would think, im no expert, that its to late to do anything, is this right

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

yeah the pic that was posted is the one. Susie is her name and OMG what a state the poor thing is in. I cant describe the state she is in, the dirt, where she is supposed to be white is yellow. the stink i can not begin to describe it. Its not a dirty, wet dog smell its ???????. Her teeth are rotten, when asked what she eats told anything off the table. they said she hasnt had a litter well that is bullsh**t.
    dont think she has ever been on lead, and the funny thing was he, whoever he was, wasnt the person on add, was told first his wife was dropping her then was told his brother, anyhows i was told to look after her as she was spoilt?????
    the worst thing is what i thought was she was over weight im now convinced she could be pregnant. Her boobs are hanging and her belly is more i think a pregnant belly. So if she is, maybe im wrong, hopefully i am and she is just overweight, but if she is preg i would imagine there not pb and that is why she was sold. Will have at vets monday, if at all poss tomorrow as my vet will take emergencys on sat.
    At this stage if she is i would think, im no expert, that its to late to do anything, is this right

Oh my god thats so sad! Are you going to report them? If they are breeding dogs in that state they should be banned from owning dogs.

• Advertisement

Poor little dog. If her boobs are hanging down then she must have had a litter or be pregnant right? Hopefully she is just overweight.

Vets can spay a heavily pregnant dog, but most won't do it. I don't know if there is a medical reason that they won't, it might be dangerous, or if it's just that they don't like to do it.

Oh my god thats so sad! Are you going to report them? If they are breeding dogs in that state they should be banned from owning dogs.
    dont know if they were breeding, they said dog was spoilt. She has def been fed, if not preg way to much. So she stinks, her teeth are bad, but what can i prove. At least shes out.
    Will bath her 2moro, would love 2 do it 2nite but want her to settle first. Will haver her at vet either in morning or monday and will get her checked out, wormed and if not preg, vac.
    Suise is such a sweet girl, tail is wagging all the time.
    one thing is def. im not looking on them sites anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MHDesigns

The poor little thing, its just sickening that people can keep their dogs in such a state. When we got our Roxy she was the same, the stench off her was unreal and she had to have a lot of her teeth removed because they were rotten.
    I hope she is not pregnant, esp if you dont know what kind of dog she has mated with. Cavaliers are so small that there is a reall danger to giving birth if they mated with a large dog :(
    Keep us updated and well done for giving her a loving home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

When I was looking for my Rottie pup I got a call from a guy who had a 12 weeks old pup, he said he bought it for his girlfriend. He said they had since realised he was blind in one eye so they no longer wanted him, they were asking for just €50 TO GO TOWARDS THEIR NEXT PUP :eek:
    I couldn't believe it, I think I said something like I'd ring him back because I just couldn't take in what I had just heard. I never did ring him back though, as much as my heart broke for the poor little pup I couldn't let my heart rule my head. I didn't know if he had just made up the story to pull at heart strings or whether he was just another unethical breeder trying to off load a sickly pup and I definately didn't want to line the pockets of someone like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

Hey there as you know i just went through the rescue bitch who came out pregnant, so any help i can be of give me a shout, are you in Cork because i know of two vets who are open Sat - one in Midleton and the other in Mahon - mind you the Midleton one missed the fact that the bitch i got out was pregnant about two to three weeks prior to birth

if her nipples are hanging down and she seems swollen around her belly its likely - gently stroke around her midrift and see if she feels uncomfortable with it, also gently squeaze the nipples, if she comfortable with you - if there is milk the pups will soon be appearing - where abouts did you pick her up - from their home or a "meet"

if it turns out she is pregnant don't fret and think about the fact you are not merely saving one dog but the pups as well

• Advertisement

PaulB91 wrote: »
    Hey there as you know i just went through the rescue bitch who came out pregnant, so any help i can be of give me a shout, are you in Cork because i know of two vets who are open Sat - one in Midleton and the other in Mahon - mind you the Midleton one missed the fact that the bitch i got out was pregnant about two to three weeks prior to birth

if her nipples are hanging down and she seems swollen around her belly its likely - gently stroke around her midrift and see if she feels uncomfortable with it, also gently squeaze the nipples, if she comfortable with you - if there is milk the pups will soon be appearing - where abouts did you pick her up - from their home or a "meet"

if it turns out she is pregnant don't fret and think about the fact you are not merely saving one dog but the pups as well
    thanks paul, i actually live in offaly so long way from u. She is swollen round belly but she is very big all over so not sure, will ring few vets 2moro and see if i can get her seen. I picked her up from carpark in carlow, i know you are never to do this but i knew the score from seen her pic and talking to owner on phone. just really wanted her out and didnt mind wher i picked her up. I was giving her reg papers as well, and no surprise they are the carlow kennels one. Im also thinking maybe she could be preg as he was only looking for €70 for her, seen breeders selling them for alot more even ones that are older than suise

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Well done for taking her. That's what I call a real rescue case...
    Let us know how you get on with the vet.
    You are great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

shanagarry wrote: »

Putting a price definitely puts off some dodgy types, but not all. I would always recommend someone putting a "price" if they are trying to get rid of a dog (sounds awful!) for this very reason. So many people, unfortunately, don't go the rescue route and so many rescues are so stuffed that many can't take in more dogs.
    dont know if they were breeding, they said dog was spoilt. She has def been fed, if not preg way to much. So she stinks, her teeth are bad, but what can i prove. At least shes out.
    Will bath her 2moro, would love 2 do it 2nite but want her to settle first. Will haver her at vet either in morning or monday and will get her checked out, wormed and if not preg, vac.
    Suise is such a sweet girl, tail is wagging all the time.
    one thing is def. im not looking on them sites anymore

Hope your little ladies vet check goes well - often, if they have been heavily bred from they can have very saggy breasts without being pregnant because they have stretched beyond belief. They can have very rounded bellies for this reason too. She could also be riddled with worms or a gastric infection, or have been fed crap thus have a bloated belly. I'm so glad you took this lady on, well done! Please let us know how it all goes with her :)

Have sent you a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

let us know how you go - the other thing we thought when we got Roxy was that maybe she'd just delivered pups so giving her the sagging nipples

couldnt get her to vets today but got her seen by a fella i know that deals with animal cruelty cases. His says she has all the classic signs of been a puppy farm dog. her teeth have all been broken and chewed down where she has been trying to chew out of a cage, her nose is also cut and marked from this. her nails havent been cut in god knows how long, her coat still after a bath stinks. it is also covered in urine stains, where he says she has prob had to sit in her own waste. her ears are full of mites and stinking.
    the good news is that she aint preg but he says a litter has just gone from her and he says she has prob had god knows how many litters.
    So today she has had a bath, her nails clipped, her ears cleaned. a collar and lead put on her but after all this she is still wagging her tail. she is such a quiet, shy girl but you can tell she wants to be loved and petted.
    Will have her at vets monday as i want to get her ears treated, and want to get her vac and wormed. also want to get her heart checked as she is panting a lot, so i wont be surprised if she has a heart murmer.
    anyone any tips to getting the smell of her as the smell, even after a bath is very over powering

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

I would say after the trip to the vets on Monday she will smell better. It could be coming from the ears and they probably need to be trimmed too. I would say a good clip/cut would take a lot of the smelly hair away. Can you give her a good brush out too?
    Phew about not being pregnant anyway. At least she can now live out her years in total comfort with you.
    Once again, well done for saving her from her miserable life.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Wow, roxiesmammy, fair play to you for taking her on and giving her a chance. Poor thing, it just makes me sick to the core to hear stories like that. What wonderful animals dogs are, to still be loving and trusting after that abuse.

I'd say your best bet with the smell is to try and get her clipped as tight as possible and get rid of the old hair completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

anyone any tips to getting the smell of her as the smell, even after a bath is very over powering

I've heard of people putting tomato juice on dogs sprayed by skunks????
    This would only work though if the smell is coming from her coat and not her ears, anal glands or some other infection

couldnt get her to vets today but got her seen by a fella i know that deals with animal cruelty cases. His says she has all the classic signs of been a puppy farm dog. her teeth have all been broken and chewed down where she has been trying to chew out of a cage, her nose is also cut and marked from this. her nails havent been cut in god knows how long, her coat still after a bath stinks. it is also covered in urine stains, where he says she has prob had to sit in her own waste. her ears are full of mites and stinking.
    the good news is that she aint preg but he says a litter has just gone from her and he says she has prob had god knows how many litters.
    So today she has had a bath, her nails clipped, her ears cleaned. a collar and lead put on her but after all this she is still wagging her tail. she is such a quiet, shy girl but you can tell she wants to be loved and petted.
    Will have her at vets monday as i want to get her ears treated, and want to get her vac and wormed. also want to get her heart checked as she is panting a lot, so i wont be surprised if she has a heart murmer.

That's great that she's not pregnant and that she is such a nice dog. I think even after years of neglect a Cavalier could never be anything other than lovely. :)

Does she like exercise, and have you heard her cough at all? I hope she doesn't have a heart murmur, I guess there is a good chance though. I hope she'll be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

She could smell due to a nasty skin/ear/anal gland infection, if this is the case she will need to get treatment before the smell will go away.

Out of experience, anti dandruff shampoo is the best thing to get really dodgy smells out of them - sometimes followed by a rinse of apple cider vinegar. If you leave the shampoo on her for a minute, rinse, repeat the shampoo, rinse, then do the vinegar rinse (leaving it on her for a minute or two) and rinse really well afterwards she should smell better. She might small a bit like the vinegar for a bit but this goes away pretty fast and it's much better than a smell of poo and such. If she has a lot of matting, try to cut some of it out because it will hold onto the smell much more than normal coat. Pay particular attention to her paws when you are clipping and washing because they may be sore from standing in poo and pee and getting as much out of them is a really good idea to get the air at them. Also, her bum will need some attention (lovely!) because she will have been sitting a lot of the time and if there is matting she may have been pooing on herself.

Good luck and hope all goes well at the vet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Fair play to you for doing what you did, god only knows what the poor girl has been through.

My rescue girl panted alot when I got her, it's a sign of stress in dogs. She did stop eventually when she settled. Your girl has been through alot so it could be down to that.

She has however more than likely had a litter recently so please do keep a close eye on her for pyometra (infection of the womb). I help out with some rescue dogs and the cases of pyometra I've encountered seem to occur with bitches who've we think have recently given birth.

Best of luck at the vets tomorrow!

Just wondering, is the dog badly matted?

thanks for all your advise, after i have a check by vet will get seen by a groomer. her coat isnt really matted just discoloured and stinks. Forgot to mention as well beneath her paws are so sore and red. the fella i took her to pointed that out yes. he clipped the hair gently there to let in some air, anything else i can do. will be getting that looked at tomorow as well. Someone asked does she like exercise. well the answer is no, not at the moment anyway. Dont think she has ever had a collar and lead on, let alone walk. she seems to at the moment fell more secure in her bed. when i come in she sits up and tail wags and you can tell she wants to come running over like the other dogs. you can see her watching them and see how they are reacting to us.

I bet she'll feel so much better after a bath :) She must feel horrible being all dirty. Good thing to get her checked by the vet first.

I was just asking did she mind exercise in case she has heart problems, but the vet will know anyway

Poor dog, but she will be so happy now :)

I heard about a charity in america that goes to auctions and buys breeding Cavaliers and rehomes them. I'd love to do something like that one day, they must have such bad lives. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I just read your posts roxiesmammy and its sad the state you got that dog. I myself got a Cavalier puppy last november from a dodgy character. She was full of worms which the over the counter worm dose wouldnt help with , so I bought good worm dose from the Vets and it helped a lot. My puppy is now 7 and a half months old and she is the most loving , affectionate and energetic puppy I have ever known. She also loves to go for walks and she walks me instead of me walking her.

Attached is a picture of bonny at christmas time. She is much bigger now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

morganafay wrote: »
    I heard about a charity in america that goes to auctions and buys breeding Cavaliers and rehomes them. I'd love to do something like that one day, they must have such bad lives. :(

Many Tears do it in the UK. http://www.freewebs.com/manytearsrescue

Roxiesmammy I'm sure they'd be good for advice regarding your girl too. They've seen it all before unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was out walking with my much-loved Cav.

I know this thread was moved on a little since the opening post but here's my €0.02.

Cavs have become very popular in the past 10 years or so as a pedigree breed. Because of their small size, requirement for only moderate exercise and good tempermanent with children, they've become popular with the demographic that seems most affected by the recession; young working families with children. Take a typical family where dad's working and mom's home with the young kids and suddenly net income in severly cut, the money just isn't there for pet insurance, premium food, vet bills etc. In a lot of cases, former stay-at-home mothers have to work due, kids go into creche and nobody's home to mind the pooch.

Add to that the "normal" reasons dogs are abandoned/surrendered; lack of knowledge about health issues in the breed, novelty wears off after a few months of picking up dog poo.

On top of that, dogs that have been popular are subject to overbreeding and so you have the typical puppy-farm scenario of overbred bitches being surrendered.

There are a lot of health issues associated with Cavs but most are very treatable and health insurance is a must. Sadly, people have the knee-jerk reaction of thinking that something like a heart murmur is a life-sentence and want rid of the pet before establishing a routine of meds and vet checks.

It's all very sad and really unnecessary. If I had it my way, pet insurance would be a legal requirement for pet owners having the two-pronged effect of a) ensuring all animals receive the medical treatment they needs and b) making sure all owners are aware from the start of the costs involved in ethical pet care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Any word on how you got on with her at the vets roxiesmammy? Hope she's ok anyway and settling into her new life with you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

If I had my way you wouldn't be allowed own a dog without insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Noopti wrote: »
    If I had my way you wouldn't be allowed own a dog without insurance.

While I understand where you're coming from, Insuring your pet doesn't make you a good pet owner, and certainly wouldn't prevent animals being dumped because people can't handle them or get fed up.
    It would cost me nearly €500 a year to insure my pets, that doesn't cover neutering and vacs. The most I have paid out in vet bills in many years of owning pets is €200(including vacs for 4 pets), and after talking to my vet i decided against insurance, Instead I keep money aside for emergencies.
    There are many ways they can refuse to pay out and won't insure older animals.
    What we need is more laws about keeping and breeding pets, they should all be chipped and registered.

I have been thinking of this poor dog since this was first posted and really hope she is ok and finally gets to live out her days with a loving owner.

Advertisement