Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics.

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm in 5th year physics and am finding it fairly handy. . But i heard from some sixth years that its their hardest subject. Does it get that much harder in 6th?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Light, sound, temperature and mechanics start off simple, but once you get into all the information that you have to encounter in Electricity and Electromagnetism, you'll start finding revision more difficult. Especially since some of the units, names and signs are similar, eg. power.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

If you keep on top of it, it is grand...

It is however deceptively easy in 5th year and too easy to lose track and feel you can get away without any work.

For example, in my class, for the mocks, anyone who did any work at all got a C1 minimum and we got a number of A's, however a sizeable portion of the class did absolutely nothing for it and failed...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

tbh, I thought it got easier when you went in to sixth year.

Light/Lenses is just so tediously boring that I found it impossible to actually study. Mechanics was simple enough, but it can be hard to get used to.

I thought you started doing the more interesting bits when you get into 6th year (Radioactivity, particle physics, and what not).

Depends what you're into really.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Well i suppose it depends on what you do in each year. I thought that it was alright in 5th year but now I think that there is a way too much content in the course compared to other subjects, only thing thats hard though is the calculations side of it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Wow Rex's class makes mine look really bad. Out of 15 honours only 5 passed it with the top student only getting a C2 o_O.

I personally hate the light chapters. I'm hoping to skip it altogether and just focus on everything else. Also, I think the calculations itself isn't hard but there's such a huge variety of it that it's hard to remember what to do in the exam >_<.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I preffered the 5th year work to what we are doing now (electricity and nuclear radiation etc) but some people prefer that. I love the Mechanics section, mainly because Applied Maths makes it really easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

niamh2709 wrote: »
    I'm in 5th year physics and am finding it fairly handy. . But i heard from some sixth years that its their hardest subject. Does it get that much harder in 6th?

Not necessarily true. I hated physics in fifth year, used to fail exams.

During sixth year, it just clicked and i got a B in my mocks:)

So if you're finding it handy enough now, just keep doing bits & pieces and you'll be plus grande:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niamh2709

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

It's grand if you just keep going over the stuff. Definitions and experiments are key. The rest is fairly easy to follow. Mind map once you get onto modern physics, like, which guy discovered what and such :p Our teacher is a wee bit mental so we've always had the pressure on! And there's about 12 doing honours, and a good few of us are pushing for the A1 :p

Advertisement