Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed Berry scones

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have some left over mixed berries that are now defrosted - do you think these would work in a scone mix. Plan was to just use usual receipe and mix them, however I just googled it and all recipes seem to use frozen berries.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You'd have to use less liquid, or maybe none at all because the berries would be so wet now that they've defrosted. I bet they'd taste lovely but the berries would colour the mix and be all through rather than here and there. Could be fab though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Toss them in flour first. It helps them stop sinking, and will soak up some of the moisture hopefully.

Also, pick out any really big berries, like strawberries. I've used mixed berries in muffins before, and the big berries mess everything up. You end up with half berry/half cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You could blitz them and add to the mixture directly. Otherwise, as Dizzyblonde said, they'll bleed into the mix.

Alternatively, cook them with some sugar and lemon juice, and make a jam to serve with the scones, alongside a nice dollop of mascarpone or creme fraiche.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Thanks all - they are made now... ended up using lots of extra flour because very sticky however the end result is Ok - . Kinda dry in spots due to all the flour but then the berries provide some moisture... Would say though that frozen berries are the way to go!!!

Advertisement