Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a cheapish, fun, RWD car

• 09-04-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Thinking of an MR2 as tax and insurance are quite reasonable. But also considering BMW 320Ci or maybe a 200sx (insurance nightmare?).

Any advice? Suggestions?

What do you think of this one?:
    Full?id=2821058
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1252932

Paul

Comments

I'm 29 with 9 years NCB and I was recently getting some insurance quotes, no bother on the BMW, even a 328ci was only €500 or so, €1300 for a 200sx though :( Although they're a lot cheaper to tax than a 2.8.

that's a very reasonable asking price for an MR2, I wouldn't be put off by the track use if its maintained properly. Check for a whiney gearbox though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Does an MX-5 do it for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm 29 with 9 years NCB and I was recently getting some insurance quotes, no bother on the BMW, even a 328ci was only €500 or so, €1300 for a 200sx though :( Although they're a lot cheaper to tax than a 2.8.

that's a very reasonable asking price for an MR2, I wouldn't be put off by the track use if its maintained properly. Check for a whiney gearbox though.

Only problem with the MR2 is the engine bay is so compact its very hard to carry out any work on it yourself so its nearly always a case of handing it over to the mechanic.

If I was to go for a RWD fun car I'd be looking at the Silvia/200sx.
    Insurance-wise, out of interest, I recently got a quote from Britton on a S15 Spec R (the turbo version) for €2900:eek:. I know its steep but considering Im 21 its not that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

llatsni wrote: »
    Thinking of an MR2 as tax and insurance are quite reasonable. But also considering BMW 320Ci or maybe a 200sx (insurance nightmare?).

Any advice? Suggestions?

What do you think of this one?:
    Full?id=2821058
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1252932

Paul

I used to have a MR2 Turbo.....very fun, possibly the most bang you'll get for that kind of buck, beware of leaking roofs and dodgy brakes and cracked turbos, also if you do get one....keep her original so much nicer that way. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm 29 with 9 years NCB... €1300 for a 200sx... that's a very reasonable asking price for an MR2, I wouldn't be put off by the track use if its maintained properly. Check for a whiney gearbox though.

1300! eek. Yea track use doesn't bother me... it will get more :)
    B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Does an MX-5 do it for you?

nope!
    martydunf wrote: »
    Only problem with the MR2 is the engine bay is so compact its very hard to carry out any work on it yourself... I recently got a quote from Britton on a S15 Spec R (the turbo version) for €2900

Will be doing all the work myself no matter what!

2900!!!! You are crazy.
    Viper_JB wrote: »
    I used to have a MR2 Turbo... keep her original so much nicer that way. :D

think i'll avoid a turbo... but will keep whatever I get standard, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

whats cheapish..... to you budget wise....

big question before anybody can answer that...

as to some people a 2009 €40k M3 is cheap.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

You should try both non-turbo and turbo it makes a big difference, although I know it's probably more down to insurance costs, was insured on mine for 800 I have lots of ncb though. Had one for 2 years though, once it's in good nick I'd definitly advise one on....so much fun.

Advertisement