Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband service in Kiltullagh area

• 09-04-2010 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey,

Was just wondering what broadband providers are best in the Kiltullagh area. Just moved into the area recently.
    any prices or reccommendations?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭multifunction

HI.
    TRY LIGHTHOUSE NETWORKS. ITS THE ONLY SERVICE I CAN GET IN THE AREA . I CANT TELL YOU ABOUT SPEEDS BECAUSE IM TO OLD TO UNDERSTAND SUCH MATTERS BUT IT WORKS FINE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwaygal09

we have 3G wireless, (19E a month) folks have eircom part of there phone package, bro just got O2 (20E) but is thinking of returning as service isnt great

our service on 3G is good in general but can have days when slow
    can always try out something like 3G or O2 and return within few days if not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 35 velogalway

Can definitely recommend Lighthouse Networks but you have to be in Kiltullagh Village to receive a signal. Other than that try Eircom, the Kiltullagh excange is now broadband enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

Also can recommend Lighthouse Networks, but you don't need to be in Kiltullagh village - I know of many connections all over. Three Mobile is also pretty good in most areas around Kiltullagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Would some of you in the area mind doing a quick speed test on your connection so the OP (and myself) can get an idea of the value for money to be had.

All you have to do is follow this link: http://www.speedtest.net and click on the yellow star (when it loads). The test will start & run by itself from start to finish. Once it has measured the "DOWNLOAD" speed, just come back here and post the result. An example value would be something along the lines of 2.90Mb/s.

This should only take about 2mins of your time and would really be a great help to us all.

Many Thanks ;)

• Advertisement

Hi Bobbytables down load speed at 2145 .62mb/s.
    hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Thank you multifunction ;)

I'd say its more like 2.15mb/s, or 2145.62kb/s. Which is a little over a 2meg connection, you're possibly paying for a 3meg connection and losing roughly 30% on signal attenuation.

Do you mind me asking which service provider (ISP) you're using?

Thanks again, that's a great help.

Sorry bobbytables 2145 was the time test taken.The .62 was the speed which i have a feeling wont impress you.LIGHTHOUSE NETWORKS is the provider @35 euro a month.Its the only service I can get here.Did a test
    now and its 1.03 mb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lavaghball

Hi folks,
    I have managed to persist with my vodafone dongle for the last few months but am about to pull my hair out. It is bringing back memories of dial up.

Is there anyone using Airwire broadband in the Kiltullagh/Kilconeirn area?
    If so can you advise what your typical Download speeds are? I have heard good results from Monivea area, but am curious abour our area.
    As mentioned by bobbytables above the below link is the best tool to run the test.
    http://www.speedtest.net
    Muchas gracias

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

lavaghball wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I have managed to persist with my vodafone dongle for the last few months but am about to pull my hair out. It is bringing back memories of dial up.

Is there anyone using Airwire broadband in the Kiltullagh/Kilconeirn area?
    If so can you advise what your typical Download speeds are? I have heard good results from Monivea area, but am curious abour our area.
    As mentioned by bobbytables above the below link is the best tool to run the test.
    http://www.speedtest.net
    Muchas gracias

been with airwire for a few years

up till recently its been very reliable
    the upload speed is brutal lately for whatever reason
    and ive yet to find out why
    im 3 miles from monivea

heres my recent test results http://www.speedtest.net/result/897570513.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/897588824.png
    1mb i have

download upload
    7/30/2010 6:58 PM GMT 0.88 Mb/s 0.21 Mb/s 27 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open
    7/30/2010 6:56 PM GMT 1.33 Mb/s 0.09 Mb/s 8 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open
    7/29/2010 2:58 PM GMT 1.21 Mb/s 0.77 Mb/s 11 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open
    7/29/2010 2:56 PM GMT 0.89 Mb/s 0.93 Mb/s 11 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open
    7/28/2010 9:39 PM GMT 1.25 Mb/s 0.31 Mb/s 51 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open
    7/28/2010 9:36 PM GMT 0.73 Mb/s 0.31 Mb/s 19 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open
    7/28/2010 9:34 PM GMT 0.59 Mb/s 0.08 Mb/s 14 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open
    7/28/2010 9:31 PM GMT 1.27 Mb/s 0.08 Mb/s 15 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open
    7/28/2010 9:31 PM GMT 0.88 Mb/s 0.18 Mb/s 8 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open
    7/18/2010 1:23 AM GM 1.40 Mb/s 0.48 Mb/s 11 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open
    7/18/2010 1:18 AM GMT 0.88 Mb/s 0.43 Mb/s 49 ms Galway ~ 50 mi Open

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Libra 2010

Hi There,

Does anyone know what Broadband provider is good for the New Inn area? We have the landline with Eircom but the dial up connection is complete rubbish!

And what prices would we be looking at?

Thanks

Also where can I but one of those modum things that you need for wireless connection as I would be wanting the broadband on the PC and on a laptop. And is this any extra charge for getting it wireless? Oh and how much would that modum thing cost?

Thanks again

Hiya, just got the broadband in in the last 10 days (Kiltullagh/Kilconeiren area) and it is working a dream so far.
    i got the 2meg package with airwire and it come in at around €45 per month http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products.

I did a speed test and seemed to be getting a decent download rate of 1.5mbps i seem to recall. will retest when i go home and post the results.

But i did get a fella calling to the door in the mean time selling 3 broadband. he claims that they have been hired by the government to provide the service to the area. he claimed that he could get download speeds of between 3 and 4 mbps for half the price so it might be worth your while checking them out too. i will once my 6mth contract is up.

I just changed over to 3 and am amazed by the speeds. My first speed test gave a download speed of 4.38 mbps so hopefully it stays at that. they are still €19.99 per month, so fingers crossed the speed remains constant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

+1 for Lighthouse networks as well

Just did a test -for me upload is v.important, (photo's) and it's 4 times quicker than the so-called 6mb/256k at work - faster to come home and use my 1/1 mb

Result, here: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1238268944.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

switched from airwire to 3 under NBS scheme last september. ten euro a month cheaper and a hell of a lot faster. was getting .5 meg download and .2 upload from airwire. now average around 2.5 down 1.5 up.
    have the odd bad day but overall delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Miss_F

I am finding the newer models of mobile broadband receivers are providing a stronger singal than the earlier models, I am getting 5mb/s from 02

Advertisement