Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mediterranean plants

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Hope to plant up the front garden with some smaller plants to complement the cypress and olive trees.
    Would like to keep it kind of Mediterranean-ish.
    Was hoping to plant some lavender, but problem is the house blocks the sun until late afternoon. Think lavender really does need full sun.
    Any suggestions?
    Was also thinking maybe some ferns or small grasses. Ferns aren't really Mediterranean though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Santolina, Helichrysum, Halmium, Convolvulus Cneorem, Ceanothus Repens, Thyme, Rosemary and Sage.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks, will check em all out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The plants that Sonnenblumen listed are Mediterranean plants, but you mentioned that your site does not get sun until late afternoon. I think you will have problems growing sun loving plants with only the evening sunshine, especially in Ireland.

Your suggestion of ferns and grasses would be a better bet, also woodland plants that prefer semi-shade. I think you will be disappointed if you try to persue your mediterranean theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

looksee wrote: »
    The plants that Sonnenblumen listed are Mediterranean plants, but you mentioned that your site does not get sun until late afternoon. I think you will have problems growing sun loving plants with only the evening sunshine, especially in Ireland.

Your suggestion of ferns and grasses would be a better bet, also woodland plants that prefer semi-shade. I think you will be disappointed if you try to persue your mediterranean theme.

Disagree, most of my suggestions are not 'strict' Mediterraneean, but most will provide a similar effect. Nonetheless, may I suggest you take a closer look at the species and you'll find most are very tolerant.

Advertisement