Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio or Accent?

• 09-04-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi all, I know nothing about cars, so nervously looking at the two of these.

Hyundai Accent is 2006, 1.4 petrol, 36000 miles,one owner.
    Kia Rio is 2007, 1.4 petrol, 15000 miles, one owner.

Both seem in good condition but I would really appreciate any guidance as to which may be the better buy in general? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Both are very poor cars in my opinion but if i had to choose i think i'd go for the Rio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Both are very poor cars in my opinion but if i had to choose i think i'd go for the Rio

+1 there are better cars out there but of the two I'd go for the Rio. It's not the worst of them actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

EPM wrote: »
    +1 there are better cars out there but of the two I'd go for the Rio. It's not the worst of them actually

05+ rio is not bad, but, not great.

Earlier rio's are **** boxes,Reliable,but **** boxes non the less, I unfortunately know this from experience.

AFAIK accent and Rio are variations of the same car, they share many parts.

Generally with a Rio the engine is nippy enough for a 1.4,but the ride and handling is where it fails, body roll is Un-nerving on corners and you feel even the slightest of bumps.

whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭the goon

Thanks for the quick replies! Have the Accent at the moment, find it alrite to drive. budget is about 6500 at a scrap! Kind of urgent that I get some car asap as have to drive to work etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're talking about the latest models of both, then there's little to seperate them. They're essentially the same car.

Unless you're getting them really cheap, there have to be better options out there.

If the 2 cars are the same price, then the Rio is the one to get.

• Advertisement

I'd look at the following:

ford focus, Peugeot 307,VW golf, Fiat Bravo, Mazda 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Burn to death or freeze to death ?

TBH, you won't get much of a Golf for the money the OP has. from a sensible POV Id rather have a 15,000 mile Rio than a 70,000 mile Golf.

I dunno what the 307 has to recommend it.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Burn to death or freeze to death ?

Not following you?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    TBH, you won't get much of a Golf for the money the OP has. from a sensible POV Id rather have a 15,000 mile Rio than a 70,000 mile Golf.

I dunno what the 307 has to recommend it.

I was just suggesting a few cars that would be in or around that they type of car the op is looking at.

hdi engines are very good in the Peugeot's. I personally would either look at a focus or a mazda 3 from that list.

• Advertisement

but you suggested those other piles as well :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

hobochris wrote: »
    Not following you?

Thats what you're asking yourself when you're choosing between a Rio or an Accent. :p

Neither are nice cars. I myself dont like Korean cars but there are plenty of people on here who do talk highly of them. And I myself , even though I dont like them , will have to admit that they're are not bad cars anymore but only the newer models. Accents and Rios are a throw back to the very bad old days of the crappy Korean car. Dont go near them IMO. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I was forced into driving an Accent for a few weeks...reliable and it took all the punishment I threw at it.....but overall a pile of crap but better than a Citroen Picasso...not that you asked though.

I cant believe people actually buy cars like that.

There is great bargains on 3 Series or 5 series BMW out there if you want some respectability...obviously bigger engines so car tax might be an issue for you.

Thanks for all the info. All I really want is a car thats solid on the road and reliable. It seems that there is a pretty low opinion of both but I have to say having driven the Accent, I quite liked it! I mean it's no Golf, but it was smooth and peppy. NCT due by October, full service provided before it. Will test the Rio over weekend. Havent seen much else out there in this price range to be honest.

The thing to remember here is that as a new car, they're priced to compete with the likes of the Yaris, Polo etc. If you want a bit more space, to keep up in the years, and have old school simplicity then either car could be just the thing.

The gripes people will have with these cars:
    Don't look stylish
    Interior plastics feel cheap (robust though)
    Handling wouldn't be as good as a Focus or Golf
    Engine and road noise more intrusive

You couldn't say that either car would be unreliable or badly built, and pretty much any of them I've seen have 4 electric windows, air conditioning, remote locking etc.

Thanks Colm, thats the kind of response I wanted really. I dont really care what it looks like as long as its reliable. Thanks everybody for all yer advice.

Advertisement