Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fun Cars to drive?

• 09-04-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hey :)

I drive a Pug 306, 1.6l that came in from the UK around 2001, before that I had another 1.41l 306. I've driven a few different cars and found very few I was impressed with. Recently I had the car in for some minor crash repair (nit hit me in a car park) and was given a 08 Bravo for the duration.

Needless to say it was very different from my pug, lighter clutch, steering and accelerator, can't see the front end due to miles of dash. Weird placement for the wing mirrors and a much smaller back window etc... I know technology has moved on re the clutch and designs change with more focus on crumple zones etc but I didn't feel connected to the car or the road and felt a bit like I was driving a bubble.. it got me thinking..

I will eventually need to get another car for family or other reasons, so how do I find a car that gives back what I enjoy most about my pug: the feel of feedback thru the steering and cornering and a sense of fun.

I know some of this is personal and everyone likes different things but some things are universal. Do the guru's here have any recommendations for mid range cars that don't strip the joy out of driving?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

manti452 wrote: »
    Hey :)

I drive a Pug 306, 1.6l that came in from the UK around 2001, before that I had another 1.41l 306. I've driven a few different cars and found very few I was impressed with. Recently I had the car in for some minor crash repair (nit hit me in a car park) and was given a 08 Bravo for the duration.

Needless to say it was very different from my pug, lighter clutch, steering and accelerator, can't see the front end due to miles of dash. Weird placement for the wing mirrors and a much smaller back window etc... I know technology has moved on re the clutch and designs change with more focus on crumple zones etc but I didn't feel connected to the car or the road and felt a bit like I was driving a bubble.. it got me thinking..

I will eventually need to get another car for family or other reasons, so how do I find a car that gives back what I enjoy most about my pug: the feel of feedback thru the steering and cornering and a sense of fun.

I know some of this is personal and everyone likes different things but some things are universal. Do the guru's here have any recommendations for mid range cars that don't strip the joy out of driving?

I've never been happier since getting my Golf gti. Don't know if it could be classed as a "family car" though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

If you don't mind an extra bit of servicing, get an Alfa (147 or 156/159), great fun to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A humble Ford Focus will give you the sharpness you're used to but without the quirkyness of the Bravo. Just avoid the 1.4 and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

Mac: I'd have a hard time selling a GTI to the Mrs as a family car. I should state we've no kids yet but just want a 5 door similar to the pug so I don't have to trade in once the first sprog arrives :)

Hobo: always loved the 147, my first crush in royal blue :)

Colm: good to know, the newer focus seems to be a lot better. I must tap a mate for a spin in his. :)

Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Agree with Colm on the focus, I loved my one when I had it (old model)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

If it's just the two of ye, and you want something that's fun to drive, get an MX5! They're cheap enough that you can get one now, and a family wagon when the baby arrives. Life's too short for dull cars. Every bit as reliable as the hatches mentioned above too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

306 gti6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Tigger wrote: »
    306 gti6?

Yes please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Alfa 156, even the diesel is great craic to drive.

Also pretty much any small car with a big(ish) engine, had a blast in an Arbath punto ages back, that was just something else. :D

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

I wish it was a GTI6, only ever saw one of those for sale at the time but it was in cork. I've a mate who works in Gowan Merrion and he advised against it due to maintenance costs, I was only a youngster at the time so took his advice. I would have gone for the HDI's but they were only 2 door :)

Always liked the 156 so might be one to reconsider if I can source a clean one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I love my Ford Puma.
    Its cheap, looks better than most cars in its group, has a massive boot for its category and gives an extremely responsive drive. Its a properly fun car to drive!
    I'm glad I didn't go for the Panda instead and got this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Mini Cooper, or better again - a Cooper S. You won't regret trying one at least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Mac: I'd have a hard time selling a GTI to the Mrs as a family car. I should state we've no kids yet but just want a 5 door similar to the pug so I don't have to trade in once the first sprog arrives :)

Well, ahem, the Gti badge is removable.....'yes dear, all Golf's are like this....LOL...;) ' Heck you could even buy a TeeDiddleyEye badge...

As for the 5 door thing - what's that got to do with anything ? ? Even 3-door cars have rear seats you know........including 3-door Golf's........(they're not all vans....).....you do realise that the doors on 2 & 3-door cars are ......longer than the 4/5 door versions ?

Oh, and they're cheaper, lighter, too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

langdang wrote: »
    Mini Cooper, or better again - a Cooper S. You won't regret trying one at least...

I think they're ridiculously overpriced. All you're paying for in a mini is the "retro" style and the badge.

A new Mini Cooper S can very easily cost you over 35k after just adding a few basic option. Its something BMW loves to do. Standard car comes with no interior, then you start clicking on options and the price starts going skywards!

Though they do handle pretty well. I'ld rather have a Renault Sport Clio 200 Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Toyota Chaser JZX100. Grand sensible family saloon! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

1.7 Ford Puma or if it wouldn't bother you a Ford Ka - both like go-karts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

galwaytt wrote: »
    As for the 5 door thing - what's that got to do with anything ? ? Even 3-door cars have rear seats you know........including 3-door Golf's........(they're not all vans....).....you do realise that the doors on 2 & 3-door cars are ......longer than the 4/5 door versions ?
    5 door cars are so much easier to load sprogs into than 3 doors though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Into the boot with them - they'll have more room to play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

My Honda Integra type r is very fun to drive ;).

Go for something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Beta1

Hi - I was onto someone else yesterday about my Ex-Bravo. It was a T-Jet 1.4 150BHP. It is a completley different car to a normal Bravo - fantastic to drive, and they are great value for money !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lisnagry

Let the wife keep the pug and get one of these

DSCN2374.jpg

Advertisement