Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos 12 Month warranty

Options
  • 09-04-2010 12:45pm

Hey Guys,

Just have a quick question I was pondering and thought I'd throw it up here.

I have an Olympus E-420 that was bought in Argos early last June. The camera has been great and never given me a bit of bother until a week or so ago. The shutter started to make a noise, like it was catching on something or something like that (I'm not too knowledgeable on the interior of camera bodies).

Anyway, whilst it hasn't affected picture quality, I've asked on the photography forum and they reckon it can only get worse. I've always kept the camera clean, been extra vigilant when changing lenses, etc. and always keep it stored properly in a camera bag away from dust and dirt, etc.

Anyway, I know Argos will take it off me and send it to Olympus, they've already told me this.

My concern is; What happens if...

1. Olympus say it's my fault, for being careless, clumsy, etc. or just not using the camera properly? I wouldn't mind this if I was chancing my arm with it and knew I was in the wrong, but as I say above, I've taken care of it properly, so I wouldn't really be prepared to accept that reply...?

2. What if the camera becomes faulty again with the same issue after getting it back? Do Argos extend their warranty or anything to your product once they know you've had an issue with it? They reckon it'll take three weeks for the camera to get back to me (I plan to bring it up on monday).

And also... How do Argos fair out with Irish Consumer Law? If i do cross the 12 month period, does our law not cover a product for three years, and up to five years if you can convince them that the product should've lasted that long? (I know my camera is an entry level DSLR, and only cost me €450, so I probably wouldn't expect five years from it, but I would expect it to get to three!).

Anyone been in a similar situation before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Argos won't extend their warranty, they'll either tell you to go away after the 12 months has passed, or tell you to deal with Olympus. In order to force their hand, you should first contact them in writing, and if they still won't deal, then use the Small Claims Court. This is really a last resort, once everything else has failed.

If Olympus do say it's your fault, and produce an engineer's report saying same, then your case is significantly diminished. I'm not sure how you would go about fighting that one.

Wait to see what is said when it comes back. Get a written report of the status of the camera, and hold on to that. If it does get worse, you'll just have to deal with it then.

Advertisement