Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5, Episode 2 - "The Beast Below"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Superb work Pixel! Will be back later to add to thread! Really nice little snippets on all some future episodes in DWM this month, including this one!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

win win winnity win win.

What was with all the star wars references?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not bad. The smilers were a bit of a let down though.

Next week: Daleks. Eugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

That was alright.

It was interesting that Moffat did what was essentially a twist on The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas

The Star Wars references were weird indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

i liked it, especially when smith went off on one when Amy made a decision for him.

he's very quirky..and jumpy (but not DT jumpy)

Think he's a keeper. Sorry Dave tennant.

Swwawwaaaeeeeeeeeettttt!!!

better than Geronimo anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

But i don't like how the Daleks are going to be crammed into a one episode story.

I mean 'come on', these guys are supposed to be a nemesis of the doctor. The Cybermen seem more threatening now from the air time they've been getting these days.

And we need more sadistic Daleks, these guys will be all cuddly in their union jack camouflage suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Doctor could have saved a lot of hassle btw if he'd simply flown under the spaceship in the Tardis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Good episode... Nice to see the series is headed in a much darker direction with Moffat in charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nucking futs

I thought it was a bit meh to be honest, not terrible but not great, I thought Eleventh Hour was much better
    What was with all the star wars references?
    I have to be honest, I didn't spot any of these :o

I thought it was a bit meh to be honest, not terrible but not great, I thought Eleventh Hour was much better

Well, the key dudes where dressed like jedi, the queen said "help us Doctor, you're our only hope" ala certain female royalty in a new hope, and we had a wet refuse collection scene...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Me neither

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I really like the relationship that's being built up between Amy and the Doctor.

I also like seeing this flawed,imperfect side of the Doctor, and the fact that Amy did more than look around in awe :P

I really liked the ending. Although there still were some unanswered questions, I really liked the whole parallel of
    the Doctor and the SpaceWhale (or whatever it's called :o)

Overall...8.5/10. Not as good as last week, but still pretty good. A great Doctor who has very quickly found his feet, and a companion I am quickly warming to.

Hell, I'm even starting to like the new opening titles :D

Now, everybody...
    Say 'WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

There was a line in the whales mouth... "there' will not be much dignity in this" or the like.

My favourite line in the new series so far. :)

There was a line in the whales mouth... "there' will not be much dignity in this" or the like.

My favourite line in the new series so far. :)

*ahem* "This isn't going to be big on dignity.....GERONIMOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Not the best story but not the worst. It dragged a bit for me but liked the 'Virgin Queen' reference and it delivered in the end. The smilers seemed a bit irrelevant to me, like they were just there to be menacing and didn't do anything to advance the plot. I think the ending was good, didn't like the idea of the 'space whale' personally but wasn't the worst idea. I liked when the doctor got angry with Amy and I like how she figured out what to do. I also like the scene at the window. The acting from both Amy and Matt was stellar, saved the episode IMO.

Basically, good beginning and end, middle dragged, not my favourite story idea but handled well with writing both appealing to children and adults and with brilliant acting. (Wow even my sum-up lines are long and rambling).

Oh also, liked the crack reference at the end but was far too obvious and I hope they don't have one every episode because that's just overkill rather than foreshadowing.

Just one thing.

Is this companion going to make a habit of being rendered unconscious?
    She was KOed twice tonight, once last week...

It seems to be a big thing on Doctor Who, companions/occasionally the Doctor being knocked out in one way or another nearly every episode.

Just an observation :p

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

Stark wrote: »
    Not bad. The smilers were a bit of a let down though.

Next week: Daleks. Eugh.
    daleks arrrrrgghhhhhhhhhhh they terrify me ever since i was a kid im worse now since they can hover :eek:

Just one thing.

Is this companion going to make a habit of being rendered unconscious?
    She was KOed twice tonight, once last week...

It seems to be a big thing on Doctor Who, companions/occasionally the Doctor being knocked out in one way or another nearly every episode.

Just an observation :p

It's just an easy way to change scene. :)

Oh also, liked the crack reference at the end but was far too obvious and I hope they don't have one every episode because that's just overkill rather than foreshadowing.
    Wait, I missed that as well, definately have to re-watch it so :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I liked it for the most part.

good creepy opening, nice motif of the set, the plot was fine for the most part (I was expecting torchwood honestly so the twist with the stranger in the mask was actually very good I thought) and while I worked out most of the plot twists before hand I liked how it twist and turned.

My only issue is there seems to be a craclk (to keep with the series theme) in the plot. The smilers are never really explained. Yes its a process thats been repeated a 100 times and they must commit a great horror to keep the secret, but its never explained who justified and developed the idea of half robot/half human enforcers who dictate things to everyone. Really the episode needed a 3rd side who probably would have been antagonistic then the two main issues.

On next week, looks interesting enough I am looking forward to the battle of britain in space bit and i'm glad they didnt opt for the obvious daleks with nazi's role. Though I am curious which dalek *empire* is going to be restored, we have season 1's emporer, season 2/3 cult of skaro and season 4 davros. which one is it gonna be?

Overall a solid 7/10, reminded me alot of gridlock from season 3, so i'm happy.

• Advertisement

Wait, I missed that as well, definately have to re-watch it so :o
    right at the end on the side of the ship there's a big white crack

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    My only issue is there seems to be a craclk (to keep with the series theme) in the plot. The smilers are never really explained. Yes its a process thats been repeated a 100 times and they must commit a great horror to keep the secret, but its never explained who justified and developed the idea of half robot/half human enforcers who dictate things to everyone. Really the episode needed a 3rd side who probably would have been antagonistic then the two main issues.
    I didn't like that they never explained how the ones in the booth had three faces when they clearly turned 180 degrees to show another face, i.e. logic says there should be two. Don't get me wrong, I like not knowing everything, but things like that annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

its never explained who justified and developed the idea of half robot/half human enforcers who dictate things to everyone.

It wasn't the clearest but how interpreted was the Queen gave the order to develop them and then chose to forget along with everything else. I'm not sure though. I need to re-watch the episode 'cause there are a few things I find confusing.

Oh, meant to ask earlier, anyone know why the time was different from last week and is going to be different again next week?

right at the end on the side of the ship there's a big white crack
    Oh that one yeah, I remember now, I thought he meant someone actually mentioned a crack in time. Thanks for that :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I enjoyed it, even if it was a typical second episode (the first trip / mission, where we get to know the Doctor a bit more, particularly from Amy's point of view, and that it won't all be sweetness and light). Again, I loved the back & forth between Amy and the Doctor, and there were some great quotables: "What are going to do?" "What I always do, stay out of trouble........ badly" :D The generally darker tone was also far more evident this time around

Having said that, I didn't like the Smilers. The world-building in general was a bit rubbish tbh: it just seemed to be some an odd mix of stereotypical British icons, mixed with those weird Smilers. What was the point of them anyway? The story never made it clear who or what they were. Why wasn't there a more normal police force - instead we got these strange robots? "Bwah?" is all I can say!

A bit on the fence about next week's story - Le sigh that it's the Daleks, who are seriously out-staying their welcome - but the concept sounds intriguing.

Oh, meant to ask earlier, anyone know why the time was different from last week and is going to be different again next week?
    Can't tell you why, but next week's starts at 6.30pm

actually looking at it again, I get the feeling the smilers/city design is coming from someone who played a bit too much bioshock 1/2 and didnt have the budget for the art deco :D

It wasn't the clearest but how interpreted was the Queen gave the order to develop them and then chose to forget along with everything else. I'm not sure though. I need to re-watch the episode 'cause there are a few things I find confusing.

That's been going on since the new series started. You should listen to them ranting about the time changes on the Podshock podcast (an interesting listen if you want to spend more time on Dr Who in any case!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stark wrote: »
    The Doctor could have saved a lot of hassle btw if he'd simply flown under the spaceship in the Tardis :)

:o I didn't spot that.
    I liked it for the most part.

good creepy opening, nice motif of the set, the plot was fine for the most part (I was expecting torchwood honestly so the twist with the stranger in the mask was actually very good I thought) and while I worked out most of the plot twists before hand I liked how it twist and turned.

On next week, looks interesting enough I am looking forward to the battle of britain in space bit and i'm glad they didnt opt for the obvious daleks with nazi's role. Though I am curious which dalek *empire* is going to be restored, we have season 1's emporer, season 2/3 cult of skaro and season 4 davros. which one is it gonna be?

Overall a solid 7/10, reminded me alot of gridlock from season 3, so i'm happy.

Shouted out "she forgot" a few times.

Good point on the Smilers. I suppose its an element of the paranoia and fits with an enforcer, keeping tabs on the citizens. Will also influence their decision to forget or not.

Thought the ending was a little too cutesy, then again it was similar to Amy packing her suitcase, the beast likes children and means no harm, so emotional in that respect.

Love the Churchill twist but unfortunately he isn't Brendan Gleeson and may suffer because of that!

Overall, 6.5/10, not bad. .5 lost because Amy wasn't in a uniform, would have been 1 point except for the Nightie!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey apparently.

Advertisement