Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do....

• 09-04-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Long story short - my 30km 2004 Alfa Gt had a bit of an incident with another car. Luckily no one was hurt! However the car looks like it will cost about 4-5k without airbags and about 7-9k with airbags to fix. Engine and chasis etc are fine. Its mainly front right suspension,brakes, hub, interior torn apart by airbags.

So here's my conundrum!! What should I do with it? Who would buy it in this state. If anyone knows anyone or can help me to get rid of it and get a bit of money from it - then i'd sure appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If I were you I'd give it to me for free :p

Anyway whats the story with insurance? Are they writing it off or do you only have 3rd party?

I'm assuming the accident was your fault as if it wasn't the other party is liable to cover the costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Where are you based OP?

Someone will definatley take it off you. I've seen much worse damage than that repaired.

Someone who works in a bodyshop would probably buy that and fix it up in their down time. The guys we use do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Based in Dublin - and yes it is fixable, definitely - I just don't have the time or money to get it done. I've gotten another car in the mean time, and this one is just in storage til I decide what to do with it. Its a shame to see the 3.2 V6 just sitting there. I gotta get some money out of it - I can't just give it away :(

Edit-The insurance was only third party....dont ask!! My mistake along with a blunder by a Quinn Insurance employee - still i should've double checked! The accident was a result of black ice and trying to avoid the guy in front who already crashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Its a shame to see the 3.2 V6 just sitting there.
    Ouch; I felt a twinge when I saw the pic but then you tell us its a V6! Sorry for your pain.:(
    I bet some of the Italian fans on Octane.ie would like the chance to take this off you if you do sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Such a shame :(

If the V6 is in good running order, you'll get a good few €€€ for it as they are so rare.

Sell off anything that is good, doors, boot etc...There are always people looking for parts.

Try posting (as mentioned) on Alfa related forums, folks will travel & buy a V6 lump. If they know its in good order...

Only other option is put it in a shed, until you can afford to repair it...

Best of luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Worth throwing an ad up on www.alfaowner.com , plenty of enthusiasts there that would be tempted by such an easy fix (I would but funds etc etc.).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Thanks again for all the great advice!! I'll put it up on a few forums and see what happens out of it. Ideally I'd love to keep it and perhaps turn it into a kit car etc - but at the same time how many of us have had the same idea but can never find the time.

I'd love to return it back to its former glory asap - but money just doesn't permit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

If you can find second-hand air-bags it should reduce your costs, try www.partfinder.ie or similar in the UK. Being 2004 I doubt it's worth fixing tbh, you'll probably find a straight car for that money if you look hard enough.

Advertisement