Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trading in a car whose NCT is due

• 09-04-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭

I'm looking at a deal which would cost me ~18,000 with my trade-in. NCT on my trade-in is due in 3 months. My argument for trading it in as it is would be that getting it thru NCT is going to cost the dealer a lot less than it would me - team of mechanics at the ready and all ...

Is this a reasonable argument? Considering the nett worth of the deal to him?
    The car I would be buying has been on his lot since last year.

For example, I was looking at buying a used car from a dealer at a pretty good price, and even at that he was willing to change the timing belt and put it thru NCT all at no extra cost from the agreed price.

The issue for me is one of timing really, as I might not get it to NCT for another month or two. Plus of course I could be saving myself ~500 Euro ...

Would appreciate any opinions, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes, it's a reasonable argument.

But the dealer will hold it against you (giving you less trade-in for your car). Did you consider NCT-ing it and trying to sell it privately? You'd get a much better deal on the car you are looking at if you are a cash buyer. Did you know that you can NCT your car 3 months before it is due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I wouldn't have thought an NCT would make any difference to the trade price a dealer will give you. If the dealer has done a thorough check of the car he'll know whether it will pass through the NCT or not and value accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

R.O.R wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought an NCT would make any difference to the trade price a dealer will give you. If the dealer has done a thorough check of the car he'll know whether it will pass through the NCT or not and value accordingly.

They cannot cover every possible problem or failure so I'm sure they will have a fair idea but come to a trade-in value that will allow them to potentially get surprised in the NCT. There still is a certain level of risk involved taking a trade-in with no NCT but that is part and parcel of the trade they are in.

Advertisement