Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indoor, 40ft up - any idea how to shoot this?

• 09-04-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get a picture of a large window, which has a thick frame running through the entire window, the centre of which is easily 40 ft up. When I take the shot from the ground, and adjust for the angle of view, I'm missing detail at the bottom of each window pane, as it's partially obscured by the thick window framework.

I'm not doing this commercially or anything, so I'm restricted for budget, but any ideas on how to construct a 40ft mast to support a DSLR? I do have a 15mt usb cable, remote software, and live view on the camera, so making sure I have the yoke pointing correctly is the easy bit!

Oh yeah, I should also point out, that due to some lighting restrictions, I may need to bracket the shot, so it's going to need to be fairly stable. Lastly, needs to be able to fit into an average size car boot!

Not asking for much am I????:rolleyes:

I have been looking at some types of portable radio masts, with a tripod type base, but they look quite expensive, and I've no idea who, in Ireland, supplies these.

Might go to a local engineering firm and see if they've any ideas.........

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you trying to get a picture *of* the window, or *through* the window...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

are you trying to get a picture *of* the window, or *through* the window...

Sorry, it's of the window. Some sections are painted, some sections are stained glass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how much clear ground is there under the window?
    what i'm getting at is that it might be easier to shoot it from a distance with a long lens, which would be easier to organise, if that setup was possible. sounds like a church?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

If you can lean something against the opposing wall, rent a 40+ft roofing ladder and use a gorilla pod or the like to mount the camera on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I have a 9m mast which is not tall enough for this and is 2.9m retracted so it won't fit in the boot of a car (roof rack maybe). 40ft ladder sounds the way to go short of using a drone. www.diydrones.com or www.microdrones.com will give you some ideas of their usefulness or otherwise.

• Advertisement

Ahh...the car boot conundrum...:confused:

The ladder does not fit...:confused:

What is to be done?

Roof rack?:)

Blanket on car roof and strapped down?:)

It's a problem...ummm...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Trampoline.

it might be easier to shoot it from a distance with a long lens, which would be easier to organise, if that setup was possible. sounds like a church?

'Tis indeed inside a church. There is a good 100ft of clear aisle way leading away from the window, but the best angle I can get with a 200mm zoom, still cuts off some on the inscription around the lower edge of some of the highest panes. If I go further back, to get a better angle, I'm getting a smaller image in the frame. I've considered taking multiple images and trying to use photomatix / or PS, to patch the images together, but I'll try to get it "in one" first.
    If you can lean something against the opposing wall, rent a 40+ft roofing ladder and use a gorilla pod or the like to mount the camera on it.

Nearest opposite wall is no use, I'm afraid. Although good idea.
    trad wrote: »
    I have a 9m mast which is not tall enough for this and is 2.9m retracted so it won't fit in the boot of a car (roof rack maybe)....

Indeed, I spotted that on Adverts, and may be able to do something with that. I'll ask you a few questions about it, on the thread, just to see how workable it may be. I might be able to get 2.9m into the car, with the seats down.

Fenster wrote: »
    Trampoline.

lmao - that's brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

bit obscure but why not contact a local building contractor and get a scaffolding built to the level you require and click click photo done .... shouldnt cost too much.

Alternatively ..... if there is sufficient space/permission .... a pulley system based off the rafters.

Thinking outside the box !!!

• Advertisement

Use sandbags (or other weighty item*) to stabilize a tripod and find some pipe that is the same diameter the tripods center column. You could use pipe fittings to only use pipe long enough to fit in car. :)

Not 100% sure this will be stiff enough.:o

*like a backpack full of camera gear

PCPhoto wrote: »
    bit obscure but why not contact a local building contractor and get a scaffolding built to the level you require and click click photo done .... shouldnt cost too much.

Alternatively ..... if there is sufficient space/permission .... a pulley system based off the rafters.

Thinking outside the box !!!

I have permission to take as many shots as I like, and I've already, briefly, discussed scaffolding, which wasn't encouraged, so I disn't push it. If I did manage to figure out a useable system, I'd soon come up with other uses for it.

Not a blooming rafter in sight, just a smooth ceiling, about another 20-30ft higher than the window.

Use sandbags (or other weighty item*) to stabilize a tripod and find some pipe that is the same diameter the tripods center column. You could use pipe fittings to only use pipe long enough to fit in car. :)

Not 100% sure this will be stiff enough.:o

Like where that's going.
    Thinking out loud, could get a 3"/75mm spigot made up that screws onto the top of the tripod, turned down to fit inside a 2"/50mm aluminium tube. 8 foot lenghts x 5 (to fit in car), connecting spigots, and up see goes!

I like it! I'm away for the weekend, but if there's no better suggestions by Monday, I'll start looking into how easy, or difficult this would be to make.

:D

I was think of using the pipe to replace the center column. Thus allowing you to rest the bottom of the pipe in the ground. I think this might give more rigidity.

There should also be a way to mount a Screw that fits your tripod head or just straight in to the tripod mount of the camera. (Can't think of the bolt size/thread for those right now.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

you could rent a scaff tower from local hire shop

get it delivered

or failing that you could rent a zarges A frame ladder that would get you 4 meters in the air or so, then if you were far enough back you might get everything then

failing that get a boards meet together for human pyramid

I was think of using the pipe to replace the center column. Thus allowing you to rest the bottom of the pipe in the ground. I think this might give more rigidity.

The center column of my tripod isn't round, it's got 3 flat sides on it, with curved bits at the corners. I think you're right about the diameter being a bit small, and perhaps not rigid enough.
    There should also be a way to mount a Screw that fits your tripod head or just straight in to the tripod mount of the camera. (Can't think of the bolt size/thread for those right now.)

That's what I was thinking, getting a spigot/plate made up that has the same screw thread as the tripod, with a shaft that can fit the internal dimensions of a 50mm aluminium pipe. That should be sturdy enough to keep it from swaying, I hope :eek:

stcstc wrote: »
    you could rent a scaff tower from local hire shop

I'm afraid scaffolding is out.
    or failing that you could rent a zarges A frame ladder that would get you 4 meters in the air or so, then if you were far enough back you might get everything then

I like that idea, must check local tool hire places for an A frame ladder.

failing that get a boards meet together for human pyramid

Funny you should mention that...... :D

Why not just stick a 20 foot folding ladder in the church and either lay the camera on top of the ladder or sit atop it like Shawn Michaels would?

hbkphotography.png

Surely you must know someone with a ladder you could use? If you can get 20 foot in the air, then you're half way, so I reckon that'd be good enough for a decent photo?

Wouldn't fit in a car though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

as far as i am aware a normal A frame ladder isnt allowed to be 20 FT here, its only allowed to be 14 rungs i think which happens to be about 14 ft

this was why i suggested the zarges, its a special kinda A frame with and extension which should get you to about 20Ft ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

many Ballons, some helium, lots of string, take your time

bam

• Advertisement

Idea: Use the pipe to mount the camera to and get the height. Use the biggest A frame ladder you can in coordination with the tripod, as the base for stability.
    Lash the pipe to the top of the ladder, more stability and more rigidity.

Simple as pie...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

put the camera in a bucket on a pulley system .... raise bucket and use remote to operate camera.

camera obviously pointing in direction of window (hole in side of bucket for lens would suffice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

You need a hoist, more to the point a boom hoist. Working height of about 15-20 meters.

http://www.skylift.ie/machines.php?&c=11&pd_id=38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

mrmac wrote: »
    I'm trying to get a picture of a large window, which has a thick frame running through the entire window, the centre of which is easily 40 ft up. When I take the shot from the ground, and adjust for the angle of view, I'm missing detail at the bottom of each window pane, as it's partially obscured by the thick window framework.

I'm not doing this commercially or anything, so I'm restricted for budget, but any ideas on how to construct a 40ft mast to support a DSLR? I do have a 15mt usb cable, remote software, and live view on the camera, so making sure I have the yoke pointing correctly is the easy bit!

Oh yeah, I should also point out, that due to some lighting restrictions, I may need to bracket the shot, so it's going to need to be fairly stable. Lastly, needs to be able to fit into an average size car boot!

Not asking for much am I????:rolleyes:

Where is Tir Conell???? Not Irish so dont read it. I have a 17m pnumatic mast and all the gear for elevated photography. I'm in Clonmel, is it too far away??:confused:

QUOTE]

Hi mlumley, thanks very much for the offer, but Tír Conaill is actually the Irish for Donegal! :)

I'd be interested to hear some more about the mast though, if you'd care to share? 17m is a fantastic height, did you get it in Ireland?

If you'd prefer, feel free to PM me! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

rent a manlift/scissor lift? so many just parked up now you'd probably rent one cheapish.

http://www.heightforhire.ie/index.php?option=com_oscommerce&osMod=index&cPath=22

http://www.cherrypicker.ie/Scissor_Lifts/scissor_lifts.html

a lot of these can be driven through standard doorways etc. no setup/dismantling...and you can rent ones up to 65 ft platform height...worth a look anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Ballon and Helium defo the cheapest but it will take many hand to keep it stable and take the perfect shot

Advertisement