Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing the fiddle in an appartment

• 09-04-2010 1:18pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I need help some advice please. I was in Charles Byrne Musik Instrumente last week, and realised with horror that I can't play the violin. Not a single note. Madness, I tell you.:eek:

Anyhoo, I'm going to buy a fiddle that I really can't afford (+lessons in Waltons), and I was wondering if you have any advice on playing in an appartment please? They showed me a rubber yokie you put on the bridge to mute it, but I don't know how efficient it is?

Have you ever used one? How good are they? Would it be realistic for me to play the fiddle in an appartment (at reasonable hours) if I have the damper on? My neighbours are decent folks so I have no reason to annoy them.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Constant music/noise coming through walls at any time of day is extremely annoying. Also, hours that are 'reasonable' to, may not be reasonable to neighbours.

Ask yourself this, would it bother you if you neighbour was learning an instrumant and you could hear it through the walls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Everybody has to learn sometime.

Its legal to do whatever you want in your own house between the hours of 8am and 10pm, so go mad with the fiddle mate!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

It may be legal but if the walls are thin it could be considered inconsiderate.

But, if you really want to learn and aren't best buddies with your neighbours you may as well go ahead

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Ask yourself this, would it bother you if you neighbour was learning an instrumant and you could hear it through the walls?

I must have been something right so far as I've never had a complaint from a neighbour my whole life. And I'm trying to keep it at that, hence the question. Thanks for the input though.

But back to the point, does anybody have actual experience of practicing with a damper (or whatever it's called), or of working around the issue somehow?

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks Stephen. The thing is,I could just keep it legal and screw the neighbours, but I would like to try and keep noise down to a non-annoying level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Get youself a violin mute

http://www.fiddleaustralia.com/images/ebony_violin.jpg

It does quite a bit to reduce the sound, this paired with walls should do enough so your neighbours can't really hear it.

Also i would advise against Waltons lessons, i would get private lessons as you learn a lot more and the whole lesson is focused on you. They're not too expensive either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

TheBandit wrote: »
    Also i would advise against Waltons lessons, i would get private lessons as you learn a lot more and the whole lesson is focused on you. They're not too expensive either
    Waltons do private lessons, and they are quite good.
    So do try restrict yourself to giving advice on that which you know about!

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I forgot to leave my credit card at home, so looks like i might buy it this evening. :( and :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Waltons do private lessons, and they are quite good.
    So do try restrict yourself to giving advice on that which you know about!

Someone is obviously a big fan of Waltons. I wasn't aware waltons did private lesson but the point was to avoid group lessons, i don't think there is a need to mount the high horse all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

This is not the place to push your wares. Do it again and your access from this forum will be removed.

-feylya

I got me a fiddle and a mute and fiddlin lessons, and I'm all happy and broke :D.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Mods, methinks 'tis time to lock this thread. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement