Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recover cable from celling void

Options
  • 09-04-2010 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭

Just after some tips to recover some cables that I laid in a new build. The place has been slabbed now and I a missing 5 or 6 cables. The builders have left holes for the cable in the celling. As I laid the cable myself its my responcibility I have been told :-(

I was thinking an old coat hanger or even a magnet contraption but I am looking for the most "stress free" solution.

The cables are Speaker and CAT 5.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A magnet is no good as magnets will only attract metals with iron in them, not copper. If is not plastered remove a slab. Next time be there when they slab! I learnt the hard way too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

if you know somebody who has a cable locator/oscillator it would help you locate them a bit easier, other then that just go fishing with the coat hanger with the end bent into a hook :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

I drill and pull down all my spotlight cables immediately after slabbing
    But obviously the walls are marked with arrows

I normally use a piece of 10sq earth for your job.The narrow trunking lid can be handy too

• Registered Users Posts: 29 safesecure.ie

Had the same issue with projector cable in the ceiling.

Got a lend of a cable tracer / locator and I was able to get a faint signal from the cable and knew where to drill the hole. Most electricians would have one, definately worth a try

must be a good one -i never had any luck searching with them:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I find one of these to be useful in this sort of situation:
    http://www.provision100.com/index.html

The PV300 is pretty available on ebay for around $100, and can be used for all sorts of little jobs that would otherwise require destroying stuff.

Better to drill a few peep holes than have to tear down whole chunks of ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If its the roof you are worried about, if its upstairs can you get it from the attic? or can you lift the floor upstairs to get them?

A toner might help to find them, but regardless you will be making some un-wanted holes to find them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Thanks all, the cables that are missing are on the ground floor celling. I have a 4" void and then a concrete 1st floor so no hope tracing from above.

It looks like I will making lots of holes for plasterer if I cannot fish them out.

Like the look of camera, may be of use in other areas of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

leadership,if you are fitting speakers in the ceiling,would you cut out the hole to give more access to the cables,other than that its just luck and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

as mcebee says 10sq earth or plastic lid of mini trunking and off ya go fishing!really have to be there when slabbers are in cause in general they dont give a toss if your cables are buried in the ceiling!lesson learnt for ya im sure:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Fishing rods with a hook attachment at the end. The tone generator might help you to locate the cables.
    Or if you want to go all out get a small bullet cam and attcch it to a test monitor
    If you drill a hole with a hole saw then screw it back in place with a piece of 2X1 then finish it with profin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

meercat wrote: »
    leadership,if you are fitting speakers in the ceiling,would you cut out the hole to give more access to the cables,other than that its just luck and patience.

What a simple and great answer, Jesus I will be cutting out 6 inch circles anyway. Thanks!!!!!

Now then only 2 data cables to worry about.

krissovo wrote: »
    What a simple and great answer, Jesus I will be cutting out 6 inch circles anyway. Thanks!!!!!

Now then only 2 data cables to worry about.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement