Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Football - President saves player's life

• 09-04-2010 1:39pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09042010/58/international-football-president-saves-player-life.html

I say fair play, obviously a knock of heads and the ref shouldn't have allowed play to continue.

The president of a football club ran on to the field to save the life of one of his players during a match after the referee failed to stop play following a clash.

Slavia Sofia president Ventsislav Stefanov acted when one of his players collapsed and swallowed his tongue during a Bulgarian junior league game.
    Slavia player Radomir Nikov was left unconscious following a challenge from Zhivko Atanasov, which the referee did not stop play for, during the 1-0 win over city rivals Levski Sofia on Thursday.
    "I saw our lad collapsing and I needed no permission from the match officials to rush onto the pitch and help him," Stefanov was quoted as saying.
    "I didn't hesitate," he said. "But in a moment like this I would do the same for anyone, not only for a Slavia player."
    Reuters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

how did he save his life exactly.....you can't swallow your tongue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

adamski8 wrote: »

you're kidding right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Yes you can?

Hence the recovery position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

A tounge can block your airway.....The president probably had to drag it out from the back of his mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Can happen very easily when your knocked out, well done to the president for acting so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

You can swallow anything that will fit down your throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You can't swallow your tongue. Your tongue can however lodge in your windpipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

You can't actually swallow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ush1 wrote: »
    You can't swallow your tongue. Your tongue can however lodge in your windpipe.

Well done, Captain Obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I suppose it depends on the medical definition of swallowing, any doctors around? Maybe swallowing includes just after leaving the mouth, not necessarily all the way down.

Anyway, why are we discussing if it's possible to swallow a tongue?:confused:

The title should be clearer too, there's a big difference between a president and a club president.:p

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    Well done, Captain Obvious.

It obviously wasn't that obvious when someone said you can swallow anything put in your mouth.:rolleyes:

I suppose it depends on the medical definition of swallowing, any doctors around? Maybe swallowing includes just after leaving the mouth, not necessarily all the way down.

The title should be clearer too, there's a big difference between a president and a club president.:p

Medical definition is it must pass the oesophagus AFAIK.

And yeah, I was picturing Barrack Obama saving Landon Donovan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

why are people getting bogged down on semantics here. The president did a good thing, and could well have saved the players life, well done to him. Thats all that needs to be said really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

mars bar wrote: »
    you're kidding right?
    no
    peabutler wrote: »
    Yes you can?

Hence the recovery position
    no you can't, have a read why you do it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_position
    cause the article is boring :p

also its good to point out to people that "swallowing your tongue" does not happen and hopefully they wont do damage to an unconsious person by putting the fingers etc in the persons mouth to pull the tongue out or something else silly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I honestly can't believe some of the replies to this thread, there are people on this forum who will argue that black is white if they have a few minutes to kill.

Anyway, good on him, even if he isn't a real president :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Fair dues to the club president, some good people still out there :pac:

Advertisement