Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good news for the fight against crime

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Fantastic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

A tiny drop in ocean.

€100k by Garda valuation, equates to about €30k actual value.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gymsey

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    A tiny drop in ocean.

I guess it'd be better if they didn't bother raiding the places......:rolleyes:

If some kid died taking that heroin I suppose you'd be on the band wagon saying "What are the Guards doing??? Wasting the hard earned tax payers money drinking coffee and driving around....bla bla bla."

Give credit where credit's due. Everything on Boards needn't be negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

good news all right!
    wasnt there another seizure recently, in the general Drombanna area, cant recall if that was heroin also?

Gymsey wrote: »
    I guess it'd be better if they didn't bother raiding the places......:rolleyes:

If some kid died taking that heroin I suppose you'd be on the band wagon saying "What are the Guards doing??? Wasting the hard earned tax payers money drinking coffee and driving around....bla bla bla."

Give credit where credit's due. Everything on Boards needn't be negative.

Eh I actually often defend the Gardai on here, as their dectection rates for serious crime in Limerick is very good, but the recovery of a tiny fraction of the heroin coming into Limerick is hardly worth getting too excited over.

It's the overvaluation of drugs by the drug squad that get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A tiny drop in ocean.

While it is true that initial reports of drug seizures in this country are prone to a ridiculous degree of overvaluation, any drugs taken off of the street and out of circulation is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

If they found "100,000" worth in one field it doesnt make me want to say well done gaurds.. it makes me think WOW imagine how much is actually in Limerick and WOW how late the guards have left it to tackle this.

Stab*City wrote: »
    If they found "100,000" worth in one field it doesnt make me want to say well done gaurds.. it makes me think WOW imagine how much is actually in Limerick and WOW how late the guards have left it to tackle this.

The amount found has now been reduced in value to €40,000, which means its about €10,000 worth to the dealers.
    09/04/2010 - 21:01:28
    Gardaí in Limerick have seized €40,000 worth of heroin, following a number of planned searches in the city today.

The haul was uncovered in an area of open ground beside O'Malley Park this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sounds like bad news to me.

Somebody needs to pay somebody for this which means somebody will likely be shot because one dealer cannot pay the supplier.

Berty wrote: »

Somebody needs to pay somebody for this which means somebody will likely be shot because one dealer cannot pay the supplier.

If your man was storing heroin he deserves to be shot, it would only be bad news if the gun jammed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Berty wrote: »

If a dealer gets shot and killed, then I don't see it as bad news. Bad news is when innocent people like Roy Collins or Shane Geoghan get murdered by scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

A tiny drop in ocean.

It would be a much better idea if they told us what weight of drugs they found and what purity it is. Street values are meaningless, and always overinflated. Police forces tend to seize about ten percent of what is actually flowing into the country so this seizure will make no difference whatsoever to anything at all really. Anyone that wants drugs will still be able to get them, without any problem. Stories like this just remind me of the hopelessness and pointlessness of the so-called war on drugs. Politicians love to whip up a furore about drugs and how tough they are on drugs, because it helps them get lots of votes from scared parents, when they really know they have no power to stop drugs entering our country. Allowing the distribution of drugs to remain in the hands of organised criminal gangs, who use the massive profits they generate from the sale of drugs to arm themselves to the teeth, is grossly irresponsible.

Kess73 wrote: »
    If a dealer gets shot and killed, then I don't see it as bad news. Bad news is when innocent people like Roy Collins or Shane Geoghan get murdered by scum.

Exactly, if it a dirty dealer gets "removed" from this world I'm not going to care.
    And today's haul maybe somewhat small in relative terms however "Every little helps" :D

Some fella got off a big drugs rap last year because although the Gardai said he was caught with €60k of drugs his solicitor was able to successfully argue that the Garda values were flawed and the value of the drugs was in fact less than €30k* which meant he wasn't subject a mandatory 10 year sentence.

* value may be wrong. Not sure what the exact threshold is.

And there in fails our system.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Millie wrote: »
    Exactly, if it a dirty dealer gets "removed" from this world I'm not going to care.
    And today's haul maybe somewhat small in relative terms however "Every little helps" :D

Why not take it one step further?
    Take the dealers , thieves and general scum in Limerick prison....
    Stick them in Thomond park....
    Litter the pitch with weapons (bats, swords etc), only enough for a few of them....
    let them kill each other off for a cash prize and freedom...
    Sell the rights on SKY and UPC....
    Tickets on sale for 50eur each....

The city'd make an absolute mint through tickets and PPV, the scum would be dead, we'd all be entertained and all for the low low price of freeing one crim with some cash!

Everybody wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

hightower1 wrote: »
    Litter the pitch with weapons (bats, swords etc), only enough for a few of them....

The city'd make an absolute mint through tickets and PPV, the scum would be dead, we'd all be entertained and all for the low low price of freeing one crim with some cash!

Everybody wins.

then while he is smirking thinking he is sorted blow his head off. Wahhhheeeyyyy great times ahead

Everybody wins.

About €10million?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

Any chance they could use the Gaelic Grounds,more people would fit in and its not been USED.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Everybody wins.
    We couldn't do that to the grounds, they'd wreck it, we should get them all to go paintballing with nail guns!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement