Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help finding a Place and B&B?

Options
  • 09-04-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey guys sorry if this is in the wrong place.But I don't know Dublin very well and I'm after ringing my boss.He's after giving me very vague directions (as usual. but enough about that this isn't Ranting and Raving:P).I'll be getting the train to Dublin so I'll be in Heuston station.He told me the site is 400 yards away from Heuston.There's 3 tower cranes (Ratigans is the name of the cranes ) and beside them there's green gates that's where I'm based.Have any of ye seen such a place could I hop into a taxi at the station and be taken there without too much hassle?
    Another thing I'm going to be staying up there for 4 days (If he doesn't complain too much about me coming up late Monday on the train that is).Does anyone know of or better still recommend any B&B's close by that i could stay in(Last time I was in Dublin stayed in Lucan was renting a room doing nights and during the day there was roadworks outside the house everyday)So hoping for a bit of peace this time :D.Thanks in advance your help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Do you happen to know the name of the road? If it is where I think it is, it will only be a few minutes walk from the station heading out of town.

As for accommodation you might be as well off looking at somewhere like the Maldron Hotel in Smithfield (the luas goes from Hueston to Smithfield) for €69 a night room only, 9.50 extra for Breakfast but there is a fresh next door to it and you could grab breakfast there. It's a nice enough hotel, more comfy than a B&B and you could end up paying more or less the same for a B&B!!

EDIT: Actually, If you try trip advisor and search the Maldron Smithfield and then enter your dates and check the rates I'm guessing you will get even cheaper deals with breakfast included!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I hazzard a guess that your job is around the parkgate st area,which is a two minute walk from Heuston.Basically, ask anyone in the station to direct to the river side,then just walk across the bridge. I can't remember if there are any works in that area since the new courts were finished though.The other alternative would be Milltary Road,another two minute walk via the front entrance of Heuston. There were sites there until recently, not sure if the works are finished.Here's a map of the area.
    http://www.dublinks.com/maps/Heuston-Station
    Also,the Ashling Hotel is 2 minutes from the train,river side.directly opposite the bridge,parkgate side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The only cranes I know of in the area are at the back of "The Eircom Building" on Military/John's Road aka "Ground Zero".DubTom mentioned the place.

There is also development at the old Clancy Barracks a bit further up the road but I can't recall if there are any cranes left there!

The Ashling Hotel may suit you for accommodation, has been completely rennovated recently. and is only a 5 mins walk from Heuston. The only thing is the Luas passes the front of the hotel so perhaps a room at the back would be wise :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it Rhatigan's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

why not go for B + B in Palmerstown or Ballyfermot? Much better value in fairness and easily accessible to and from work.

Save yourself a small fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Jay D wrote: »
    why not go for B + B in Palmerstown or Ballyfermot? Much better value in fairness and easily accessible to and from work.

Save yourself a small fortune.

B&B's in Ballyfermot. Thanks for the laugh. OP ya might be woken up by the horses in the back garden :D

There is also a B&B in Inchicore but It's on a very busy road and may not suit!
    http://www.glencorehouse.com/index.html

Also West County Hotel in Chapelizod may be handy. Not sure about the price.
    http://www.westcountyhotel.ie/
    http://www.osheashotel.com/merchant_hotel/accomodation.asp
    (Handy for geting to Heuston Sth Quarter in morning as you are going against the traffic).

You might be just as well getting a B&B in town because you will be travelling agains the flow of traffic along the quays (unless you are travelling out to HSQ at rush hour) and can also time your buses perfectly. It's only 10 mins from town on a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RoryFla

The site you are talking about is Hesuston South Quarter http://www.hsq.ie/ just off the Galway road and a 3 minute walk from the Heuston train station. You wont need a taxi. Its behind the Eircom main office. I dont know much about B & Bs but you shouldn have a problem finding one near by. There might be one or two on Park Gate street.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

Sundew wrote: »
    B&B's in Ballyfermot. Thanks for the laugh. OP ya might be woken up by the horses in the back garden :D

I've lived in Lower Ballyfermot for two years now (not from the area) and it really pisses me off to see comments like this. I've lived all over Dublin, from the leafy south side suburbs to the inner city and Ballyfermot beats them all hands down. I have shops, parks and excellent transport routes on my doorstep, the people in the area are the warmest and friendliest they could possibly be and I come and go at all hours of the day and night and feel totally safe and secure. I have never had a bad experience here, but it's comments like yours that perpetuate the out-of-date bad name given to the area over the years by lone scumbags. I would - and do - recommend Ballyfermot to anyone.

Advertisement