Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options?

• 09-04-2010 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, im in galway city and have upc 15mb broadband, and a tv pack and a home phone.
    im trying to cut my bills and im looking at getting rid of the home phone altogether, tv.. well i might get a basic sky package, so my problem is broadband.

I dont want to go with a mobile dongle broadband provider as i currently run my laptop and the kids pc from a wireless router, so i would want to keep that.
    question is , upc and eircom are they my only options?? also does vonage (or simular) work in ireland? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

legatti wrote: »
    Hi, im in galway city and have upc 15mb broadband, and a tv pack and a home phone.
    im trying to cut my bills and im looking at getting rid of the home phone altogether, tv.. well i might get a basic sky package, so my problem is broadband.

I dont want to go with a mobile dongle broadband provider as i currently run my laptop and the kids pc from a wireless router, so i would want to keep that.
    question is , upc and eircom are they my only options?? also does vonage (or simular) work in ireland? :)

It depends on what sort of broadband you are willing to settle for.

Certainly you will not find a provider offering 15Mb broadband for less than the €39.75/month (or €32 in a bundle) that UPC charge.

For instance
    Smart Broadband - 5Mb = €41.97
    Magnet Force 5 - 5Mb = €49.99
    Eircom Broadband 7Mb = €39.82

If you are willing to settle for say 1 or 3 Mb then you will find cheaper deals but not a whole lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

wow!! really is rip off ireland.. I Moved to galway from the uk 2 years ago, and 15 mb in the uk is only £20 a month (equates to around €18.50)
    then theres vonage and a whole load of others for voip options.
    as well as free skybroadband, having said that i wouldnt move back to london for anything

thanks for your answer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

wow!! really is rip off ireland.. I Moved to galway from the uk 2 years ago, and 15 mb in the uk is only £20 a month (equates to around €18.50)
    then theres vonage and a whole load of others for voip options.
    as well as free skybroadband, having said that i wouldnt move back to london for anything

thanks for your answer though

The really sad part is, as ridiculously expensive as they are -a lot of peeps can't even get them.

UPC are generally only in city/town centres.
    Magnet, Smart etc. are only available if you're connected to an upgraded adsl2+ exchange (generally not the case).

Other than that the only real option is Eircom or resold Eircom.
    I know, sucks to live in Ireland:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

The really sad part is, as ridiculously expensive as they are -a lot of peeps can't even get them.

UPC are generally only in city/town centres.
    Magnet, Smart etc. are only available if you're connected to an upgraded adsl2+ exchange (generally not the case).

Other than that the only real option is Eircom or resold Eircom.
    I know, sucks to live in Ireland:(

Ya know it doesnt suck to live in ireland!!
    no water rates, or council tax, 30%income tax, most of the guns and knifes are kept within the criminal players rather than people randomly stabing each other daily, Ireland and the uk dont compare!!
    IRELAND wins hands down everytime even though the broadband does suck thats just tiny though:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

You could try mifi. It's mobile broadband that can share the connection with more than one device.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Get rid of the home phone, and switch to VOIP. UPC can offer that, or there are others (Blueface.ie for one). Cut the TV package to the minimum, as you really don't need all those channels showing repeats of CSI and Top Gear.

That should bring your costs down.

Mobile (and Mifi) is not the way to go, as it's a false economy. Mobile will not be of the same quality, standard or speed, and really isn't suited to sharing. It won't be a patch on what you have now, and won't be significantly cheaper than UPC's 15Mbps that you currently have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

If I had 15mb bb I would think I was lving on another planet!! water rates on way, council tax on way, income levy, everything dearer than uk by a lot ... but London ... no way at my age.

gb--

Advertisement