Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafes/restaurants/bars etc that offer free wifi in /Galway city

Options
  • 09-04-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hi there!
    Can ye guys tell me of places that offer free wifi (when you buy something) in Galway city.
    I only know of a few for definite so if anyone would add places they know that definitely offer it i would be very grateful.
    • McSwiggans
    • The Front Door
    • Supermac's, Eyre Square
    • Boogaloo Burger
    • Food For Thought
    • Massimo's
    • Social Space (which i now believe is closed)
    There is probably loads.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some on this map, might be old
    http://thoughtwax.com/sandbox/galway-wifi/

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Morgans
    Mocha Beans

cool enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Headford Road & Shop St. McDonalds both do, if that's of any help.

I try not to eat in McDonalds, but thanks for replying.

there has to be more places that have wifi right??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Who says you have to eat? I get coffee there for €2 and it does the job just fine. Allows me to use my iphone to browse the web and kill sometime should I need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Havent checked these recently but try

Huntsman
    Skeff
    Morgans ?? (not sure of name, south side of Forster St I think)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There was a biggish thread on this a few years back. Search for 'wifi'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

O'Briens in Liosban

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

An Tobar Nua.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Port Cafe does too. (I realise I recently posted about them - not affiliated though!)

• Advertisement

arrgh boards never told me there was more replies to this thread!

anyways, thanks for replying.
    Where is the Port cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

it's at the south west corner of Eyre Square.

okay thanks, i'll have to dig out my compass...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bluenote

I have a vague feeling that the Salthouse does too, but keep forgeting to check the window for stickers when I walk past.

it's cool, i asked co-worker where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

O'connell's on eyre square, get the code off the barman
    Fagans under the meyrick hotel eyre square, no code required.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

The House Hotel had free wifi last time I sat in for a cuppa on their comfy couches ;) Can't think of the name of the exact street, but it's the side street between bottom of quay street and merchants road (ish)

lampsie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I'm always looking for spots here, in the city, are few I frequent with comments and the network key (some places seem to change it regularly - mostly the places were younger staff and crowds go):

Bunch of Grapes bar - High Street - Code from the bar staff its "guinness" several other bars us this code. Very dodgy connection goes up and down the whole time, not the fastest either.

Massimos - Williams Street West - code from the bar staff, they seem to change it a good bit too. Not the fastest either but works generally.

Blue note bar - Williams Street - code from the bar staff, changeable. Same deal as Massimos.

Front Door bar - High Street - code from the bar staff it is "AAAAA11111". Fast connection, haven't been in there for a while cos it wasn't working the last few times. May have to go back. Normally my favorite due to speed. You can pick up the Bunch of Grapes network in there though :D

Salthouse bar - Ravens Terrace - code from the bar staff last time I was in there it was "goodbeer". The Australian barman in there doesn't like freeloaders though be warned - he will give out. Charged me €0.90 for cordial there before....

PJ O'Flahertys bar - Lower Salthill Road, Salthill - code is "flahertysbar". Usually fine, average speed.

E. Brun bar Lower Dominick Street - code is its "guinness". No problems here average speed.

McDonalds and Supermacs various locations - most seem to have open networks. Speedtests are usually around 1.5 down 0.7 Mbit up.

Imperial Hotel - Eyre Square - open network. Didn't use it though.

Can anyone confirm that Mocha Beans locations are payed for wifi ie. bitbuzz or the cloud? I hate Mocha Beans anyhow - food and service are normally ****e and way expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Salt House

• Advertisement

oh a great list, thanks!!! :D
    was a bit stuck the last day due to the fact that all the bars i tried on dominic street seemed to be closed last saturday at 1.15pm.
    anyways it started raining so i ended up going to the townhouse.
    password was townhousebar, a bit slow but did the job.

also i can't remember if i said this one already but the house hotel is another spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can anyone confirm that Mocha Beans locations are payed for wifi ie. bitbuzz or the cloud? I hate Mocha Beans anyhow - food and service are normally ****e and way expensive too.

Last time I was there (I'd only go for the wi-fi!) it was free, might have changed since then though.

fyi, there must be an open network somewhere around the Eyre Square entrance to the Eyre Square Shopping Centre: there's an older guy who hangs out there with his laptop most afternoons, and the internet is the only reason I can think of for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Free Wifi Hotspots; although a great way for an establishment to attract business, I advise people to use them with caution. The point of needing a key to access a wifi network is to a) regulate access, b) encrypt data frames in transit via the air between your wifi device and an on site access point (facilitating their hotspot infrastructure). If a key is public knowledge, many of which are, then we can scrap both a & b right there for anyone in the know.

So why should anyone be concerned...
    If you are connected to a public wifi hotspot, it is reasonable to assume that most will not know who else is also connected to the same network at that time. So now your device is connected to the same network as a whole bunch of strangers. You have no idea what their intent is. Some may be innocently browsing the web like yourself, and others could be recording every single bit of data that your device utters. Others could be attempting to access your computer/device. Others could be stealing the identity of your device, etc, etc, etc. All of this can be done without you ever knowing it happened (again depending on your own setup).

Generally on private/home wifi networks, we don't publicly advertise how to access them. So therefore the likelihood of strangers sharing the same network as you is greatly reduced in those cases. You are the owner of the infrastructure in that case, so you decide and can keep a log of who has been given access in the past. In a public hotspot, that's not the case.

So if someone with malicious intent wanted to do some damage, then it is a "hotspot" indeed. Not to mention that their locations are public knowledge also. So many of the hurdles have been removed for those who have little or no ethics and a bit of skill. Maybe this guy...
    JustMary wrote: »
    fyi, there must be an open network somewhere around the Eyre Square entrance to the Eyre Square Shopping Centre: there's an older guy who hangs out there with his laptop most afternoons, and the internet is the only reason I can think of for doing it.

So do I use wifi hotspots: Absolutely, and will continue. You can't protect yourself 100%, but you can take basic measures like a stricter usage policy while using them, local firewall and most importantly (and the point of my post) is an awareness of the risks. "Free Wifi Zones" are advertised all over the place, but few providers are concerned about user security.

So just be careful is all I say and be aware of the greater risks.

Advertisement