Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Al Jazeera cards

• 09-04-2010 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Seems the rumors are true that Al Jazeera are issuing new cards to replace the Via 3 cards this month. Al Jazeera will be switching off Via 3 and be using Via 4 from the end of April. How we will get new cards from our 3rd party suppliers is another story. My card is still valid until feb 2011.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

snaps wrote: »
    Seems the rumors are true that Al Jazeera are issuing new cards to replace the Via 3 cards this month. Al Jazeera will be switching off Via 3 and be using Via 4 from the end of April. How we will get new cards from our 3rd party suppliers is another story. My card is still valid until feb 2011.
    How much is an Al Jaz card Snaps and which 3P supplier do you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Well at the moment i wouldn't advise buying an Al Jazeera card until we know whats happening for def.

Ive googled around the last few hours and came up with this conclusion (Fingers crossed its correct)

Al Jazeera are phasing out Via 3 cards. You cannot upgrade a Via 3 card anymore to watch +9/+10 for the world cup (Doesn't affect us as BBC/ITV Have the rights in Hd)

If you want to get the world cup channels you have to get a Via 4 card.

Via 3 will be switched off next April 2011.

So anyone buying a Al Jazeera card now beware you don't get a Via 3 card. Also Irdeto cards are a pain in the arse!

So hopefully our Via 3 cards will be ok until they expire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Well at the moment i wouldn't advise buying an Al Jazeera card until we know whats happening for def.

Ive googled around the last few hours and came up with this conclusion (Fingers crossed its correct)

Al Jazeera are phasing out Via 3 cards. You cannot upgrade a Via 3 card anymore to watch +9/+10 for the world cup (Doesn't affect us as BBC/ITV Have the rights in Hd)

If you want to get the world cup channels you have to get a Via 4 card.

Via 3 will be switched off next April 2011.

So anyone buying a Al Jazeera card now beware you don't get a Via 3 card. Also Irdeto cards are a pain in the arse!

So hopefully our Via 3 cards will be ok until they expire.

Bugger just got one in February, hopefully they will last the 12 months the seller stated on the ebay ad.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hm, don't like the sound of it all. Though, I hope you're right Snaps, and our existing Viaccess 3 cards will continue to work until 2011 (mine expires before then) for the existing 8 channels.

Is anyone having problems clearing AL jazeera 1-8? I currently am only clearing showtime....

• Advertisement

Showtime is part of Art and not Al Jazeera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Londoner

I have the Irdeto card (hotbird) and all channels 1-8 were working fine until Thursday evening, now no channels will clear? Are they gone for ever?

Madrd v Barca tonight typical eh!! lol :mad:

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gizzy2

I have viaccess card .Upgraded with jsc-cards and card is valid until march 2011.it has stopped working about a week ago .I mailed jsc cards and they told me they were in talks with al jazeera and more than 1 million customers are affected.their other solution was to upgrade for world cup card at a cost of 100 dollars.

What about those who dont want the damn world up?

All I want is the spanish football, champions league, what I paid for!!!

just 1-8 channels I want

Showtime is part of Art and not Al Jazeera.

Sorry meant to say it was an ART card. Just checked there and showtime is not working either

• Advertisement

Showtime maghrib is working fine for me on hotbird, ART card only.

Jazzera sport still scrabled 1-8 on hotbird! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My art card isnt clearing jsc either at this moment and time :(

byte

Those Irdeto JSC cards seem to have been having regular issues, from what I've read over the past while on various fora.

My Viaccess JSC card is still OK (bar +9 and +10 of course), and I hope to Jaysus I get the full life of my subscription, as they've great coverage.

byte wrote: »
    Those Irdeto JSC cards seem to have been having regular issues, from what I've read over the past while on various fora.

My Viaccess JSC card is still OK (bar +9 and +10 of course), and I hope to Jaysus I get the full life of my subscription, as they've great coverage.
    Are you on Hotbird?

My Irdeto just went on Thursday night, viaaccess went last week for most.

weird all this!

byte

Londoner wrote: »
    Are you on Hotbird?

My Irdeto just went on Thursday night, viaaccess went last week for most.

weird all this!
    Yeah, I'm using Hotbird.

Al Jazeera is only gone if your using an old Art sports card. Why i do not know, But Al Jazeera is fine on an Al Jazeera card.

Al Jazeera is only gone if your using an old Art sports card. Why i do not know, But Al Jazeera is fine on an Al Jazeera card.

Is this confirmed? Time to contact the seller methinks.

Ebay seller advertised 12 months and I only got it in February......where does this leave me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gizzy2

I am using an original blue viaccess on hotbird and I am unable to get any of the channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

viaccess ART card on Hotbird.

everything gone.

time to call marconi !

Pal wrote: »

everything gone.

time to call marconi !

Keep us posted, I bought off their ebay shop. Sent a mail off via ebay and will keep yous's posted.

• Advertisement

I am using Irdeto orginal Al jazerra card on hotbird and my channels went thursday evening! :( still nothing now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

100dollars to get the card working again with jsc. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

My JSC Viaccess Card Still Working Perfect.

Anyone else got the hotbird Al jazerra Irdeto card?

Looks my channels have gone forever, oh well lucky the football season is coming to an end!

I will never purchase another al jazeera card again, too unreliable!!

My art sports card-Just Showtime Maghreb working

My BLUE Al Jazeera card-All channels 1-8 working.

reply received;

try rescanning your channels into your reciever as they are self activating cards. dont forget to save after rescanning.

Thanks Pal.

I tried deleting the existing channels and rescanning them in saved them but still nothin on my Irdeto white and orange card card for hotbird. :(

frequency 11296, H.

As I typed this lol my showtime maghrib was working fine on my ART card but it seems to have gone now too, anyone elso showtime not working?
    lol

Got the same standard reply myself...

''rescan the channels into your box making sure you save once done''

Charming.

Can somone please confirm that Showtime Maghrib is still working for you all?
    As mine stopped this afternoon after the re scan of channels lol...

All this is insane! :pac:

• Advertisement

Showtime not working for me on ART card, worked for a bit yesterday

Yeh a friend of mine his not working too. All channels not working now lol...Lovely.

Mine did work this afternoon, but once I did a re scan of channels, channels seem to be scrambled. oh well...:(

rescanned

nothing working

Pal wrote: »

everything gone.

time to call marconi !

I got a reply from Marconi in regards to a card swap.

He said and quoted "that broadcasters have the right to change their terms and conditions that Marconi will not be liable for".

Anyhow my Art and my Al Jazeera card are still working fine (No AJ channels on my Art card but showtime is still there)

"that broadcasters have the right to change their terms and conditions that Marconi will not be liable for".

Might have to open a dispute in Ebay if thats the case. Nowehere in the Ebay add does it mention this clause. Only have the card 2 months on ''a guaranteed 12 months viewing''

What do you reckon my chances are?

Superfin wrote: »
    "that broadcasters have the right to change their terms and conditions that Marconi will not be liable for".

Might have to open a dispute in Ebay if thats the case. Nowehere in the Ebay add does it mention this clause. Only have the card 2 months on ''a guaranteed 12 months viewing''

What do you reckon my chances are?

Possibly you'll have a case alright we'll see what happens come April, But to be honest ive had 10 months out of mine, So I for one won't loose to much sleep.

But have to admit my Al Jazeera card has been solid all the 10 months ive had it and ive been more than happy with its coverage.

Im thinking of going 100% Polish for next season onwards.

Cyfra+ multi channel and then full Polsat package (Including HD)

• Advertisement

Actually just read the Ebay listing again

''All programmes broadcast are subject to the broadcasters own terms and conditions available on their own websites. Marconidigital or Sharplcd45 shall not be held responsible for any broadcast changes''

Sh*t, thats not good.

maybe time to make that great leap into spiderbox

I too am looking at the spiderbox now, is there ones where you can use wifi instead of a Ethernet cable to connect to the net!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Londoner wrote: »
    I too am looking at the spiderbox now, is there ones where you can use wifi instead of a Ethernet cable to connect to the net!
    I'm open to correction but there may be some problems as regards futureproofing.....?

Can't really say much more than that.
    I'd imagine the attraction with this box is the price? If so, I have also come across another box recently called an Opticum HD 9600 - was very cheap for a HD box. Have no feedback as regards quality/reliability but it doesn't seem to have compatibility issues and must therefore be reasonalby well supported..

byte

This evening all my JSC channels are scrambled, using Viaccess JSC card. :(

Edit: Rebooted the box, and they're back in action. False alarm! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thomasking22008

my showtime is not working aswell on art card with techomate 1500ci:mad:

Well bad news, ive just heard now that all blue viaccess Al Jazeera cards will be turned off at the end of April.

I feel sorry for anyone that has just brought one.

Thats a huge bad bad business mistake by Al Jazeera, as people will loose all trust in them.

Its already been confirmed by my supplier he will not be held responsable for a card change, so lesson learnt, not to buy an Al Jazeera product again.

I always thought this package was too good to be true.

Blue Al Jazeera cards begining with 319 will be switched off end of April 2010. Blue cards starting with 322 will be fine.

byte

FFFUUUUUUUUU..

This is quite a shame, after already paying to retain the 6 newer channels.

I guess, if we lived in UAE, we'd just request a replacement FOC.

The joys of buying cards from outside the proper region :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

byte

Hm, could be worth a gamble!

Have to admit, I'd hate to lose JSC, I love that package a lot, despite lack of EPL!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thomasking22008

me too i hate to lose al jazeera sport cos those package are great value showing more game i been hoping waiting until end of july if al jazeera sport will showing epl plus any footy european league

byte wrote: »
    Hm, could be worth a gamble!

Have to admit, I'd hate to lose JSC, I love that package a lot, despite lack of EPL!
    im not paying any more money out.

come july i'll renew my cyfra+ and possibly get a polsat hd package for 230e.

Me too not paying no more money. Will wait till august and get digital + package on dreambox HD, had enough of these cards!

See this is what has annoyed me now, ive gone down the offical card route this year and companies like ART/Al Jazeera treat customers like a piece of dirt.

Sometimes i have no sympathy for them when they are attacked with piracy. If they treat offical paying subscribers like they have this year then they wont get any sympathy from me.

Digitalb has been a very poor service this season as well as far as i know.

For me Cyfra+ has been the best 150e ive spent this year!

byte

I'd guess though, that if you lived in the intended region of Al Jazeera and ART, then the card change would not be an issue - you'd just request a replacement?

I'm still considering taking a risk on that card upgrade, though a thought just occured to me, I'm not sure if either the Diablo CAM or TM cardslot can work with Via 4.0 cards? Anyone know?

Digitalb has been abyssmal. Coverage is sporadic, even the techincal side of things is dire.

Cyfra+ has been pretty good alright, though I struggle with the Polish chat :)

Going forward to the coming season, I don't know who to go for...

Maybe Tring? Or find a reasonable Czech Link supplier (though I'm worried the new Astra 3 sat at 23.5E, when it ever gets off the ground, will be more zonal, and if Nova Sport moved to a tight beamed sat, I'd be screwed).

*sigh*

• Advertisement
Advertisement