Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rush hour spins?

• 09-04-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

So, not having the chance to do many weekend or evening spins, I've recently tried heading out early in the morning on the way to work. Did 50km this morning out near Naul (49.6km, avg 25.4kph, max 49.8kph). Anyone else do this sort of thing?

Of course the kids are back to school on Mon so I'll have to persuade them to get the bus sometimes...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

A few of us in swordscc do a scenic commute once or twice a week, it's a great way to get the miles in and make use of time that might be otherwise wasted in a car/bus/train.

Most of us live in and around Skerries, but there might be other groups near you, a trip around Howth would be a nice addition catching the sun rise over Dublin bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

How far do you go? What sort of start times?

usually 50 km, leaving Skerries at 6.45ish, arriving in the city centre at 8.30 averaging about 30km/h, we cover a few hills on the route.

Some days we just do a straight commute, leaving Skerries at 7.45 and arriving in the city at 8.50 no hills other than the drag leaving Skerries, 28km in 55min, 30-32km/h

Errm, would that be 6.45ish for the first run? 'cos 50km in 45 minutes is pretty impressive in my book.

28km in 55 is well ahead of my pace. Is this in a bunch and all that?

You're right, 6.45 (post edited).

it's a small bunch, three to five people.

• Advertisement

Nice spin this morning.
    Set out from Baldoyle and did a 32'12" 16.1km to Blakes Cross. Avg 30.5kph, max 45kph.

Went on from there up to Balrothery, across to Naul and back down to Glasnevin. 67km, avg 27kph, max 50.5kph. 3 hours door to door, 2h30 rolling time... Polite traffic pretty much all the way with the exception of one van who couldn't wait to overtake. Nice scenery and a bit too hot after a while (long sleeves 'cos I'm not ready to bare my arms to the elements just yet...).

Another one this morning. 0645 to 0950. Baldoyle to Skerries, climb from Dublin road railway bridge to Ardgillan, down to Balrothery and N1 to Glasnevin. Just a bit warm, I don't think I lost any water, sweating like bejasus but carried it all with me 'cos it wouldn't evaporate!...

Oh, and I came across a traffic-light controlled road works section in a mild climb on the N1 and ended up doing 40kph in the midst of the traffic for about 500m or so...

70k, Avg 27.2, Max 58.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

like you I find it hard to get spins in during the weekend so I commute into work on my road bike once a week instead of my fixie and then head home from Citywest over the wicklow hills.

Last night went home down the N81, around the lakes and over the Wicklow Gap and home via Laragh/Roundwood.

here are the stats:

Time:03:43:15
    Moving Time:03:34:01
    Elapsed Time:03:59:27 - got a puncture and had a minor derailer issue.
    Distance:90.81 km
    Elevation Gain:908 m
    Calories:3,148 C

Avg Speed:24.4 km/h
    Avg Moving:25.5 km/h
    Max Speed:63.8 km/h

Last week I went home via Sally Gap and next week the plan is to head straight to Donard and over SlieveMane and home (112km) - never done it before so be interesting to see how tough it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Santry through ballymun, back of the airport out to Oldtown is nice. 40km in total and roads very quiet once you turn in towards St. margarets. 5 kms on southside of Oldtown is however, akin to cycling on the moon (10k in total).

This morning, 3 hours to do 62km. Computer reset around Skerries so I don't have proper stats. I think it came out about 27.5kph average, max 58.9kph. I managed to climb from the Dublin side of Skerries up to Ardgillan in 30x21 and 30x19 (with one drop to 30x24 near the start) which is an improvement on my previous attempts at 30x28.

Nice easterly breeze helped me home on the second half...

• Advertisement

67.13km today, avg 27kph, max 54.3kph (headwind on the descent...).

Did the Ardgillan TT climb in 6m56 using 30x21...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

cdaly_ wrote: »

Did the Ardgillan TT climb in 6m56 using 30x21...

Been meaning to ask this, as im getting too use to howth, where exactly does this start from at the bottom of the hill and where does it end, is it to ardgillan gates?

Also if anybody knows the exact start and finish of the swords nags head TT (to be done at end of teh season) id be grateful. would like to do these as practice and compare my times

Ta

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Been meaning to ask this, as im getting too use to howth, where exactly does this start from at the bottom of the hill and where does it end, is it to ardgillan gates?

Also if anybody knows the exact start and finish of the swords nags head TT (to be done at end of teh season) id be grateful. would like to do these as practice and compare my times

Ta
    Ardgillan starts about 50m after the railway bridge - there is a white line about 1m in length from the side of the road. Finish is about 100m before the T-junction (the house is called Cross of the Cage) - again there is a short white line, with "Finish" marked (but fading) (there's a gateway into the field opposite the line) - it's at least another 500m after the entrance to Ardgillan. One boardsie managed it in 3m 45s, so that's your target:D

Not sure where Nags Head starts - I presume it's somewhere near the roundabout off the old N1. I understand you take a right at the top towards the quarry, and it finishes presumably at the top of the short sharp hill there.

Chilly start this morning but it warmed up quickly enough with the clear sky and bright morning sunshine. Baldoyle - Balrothery - Naul - St. Margarets - Glasnevin.

I met a lad from SwordsCC somewhere north of Blakes Cross and kept company until he turned off at Murtaghs. Didn't catch his name but he's recently set up as a bike mechanic so some of you lot should recognise him.

62km, avg 27.1 kph, max 50.3 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Short and sweet.... Ballyboden to Dublin 2 on the MTB..... 14:24, Avg 33.9km/h max 45.4km/h, distance 8.15km... start time around 8:45am....

Advertisement