Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options
  • 09-04-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm currently on unemployment benefit for myself and my wife since returning from a year abroad a month ago. We are looking for a place to stay in Dublin now and I think I may be able to get rent allowance. From the citizens information website it looks like we can rent a place with a monthly rent of around 800 but I was viewing a studio flat a couple of days ago and was told by the landlord that the max rent on a studio is 122 per week for rent allowance (approx 530 a month). Is he correct in saying this? If I did take a studio that cost say 650 a month would I not be entitled to apply for rent allowance because I would have exceeded the maximum rent? I have no problem taking a nicer apartment for 800 if I qualify for it but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure I'll actually get rent allowance so I'd rather take a cheaper place in case it doesn't work out.

Thanks for any help with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

That's correct. If your rent is above the maximum level allowed then you will be refused rent allowance or asked to find somewhere cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

Thanks for the reply but I guess I should have been clearer in my original post. I just want to know is there a difference between a flat and a bedsit when applying for rent allowance? Does the 800 per month limit apply to both types of accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

joannaman wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but I guess I should have been clearer in my original post. I just want to know is there a difference between a flat and a bedsit when applying for rent allowance? Does the 800 per month limit apply to both types of accommodation?

might be an idea to contact your local social welfare office.

different rates for different arease etc.

exact answer from your local one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

THE rate in dublin city is the same ,ie no difference between bray or coolock re rent allowance .You can get more detailed info from centrecare ,or threshold .SEE www.threshold.ie
    The rate for a single person in dublin for a flat,or bedsit is 120euro max per week approx.THEY dont care if you are living in a flat,or bedsit as long as its meets the standard for accomodation.
    See http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_
    THAT says a couple in accomodation max rent is 186 per week in dublin in non shared accomodation.
    I dont know what does non shared accomodation mean.Sounds like an apartment ,or a building with
    only 1 rental unit.best to clarify this be4 you move into the residence.
    YOU apply for ra at your local health centre.

SO your max rent is 744per month.You might get a 2bed older house 4 that in a working class area.Look on www.daft.ie

Advertisement