Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US mother 'sending back' the child she adopted from Russia

Options
  • 09-04-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

I just thought some people here might be interested in this story- I guess it shows that while the waiting system in Ireland might be a pain, at least the people who do succeed are committed, unlike some in the US, who can get through within months? Just a thought-

Anyway, this kid was adopted from Russia in September last year, and now the adoptive mother has sent him back, by himself, to Moscow, and wants the adoption annulled.

Somehow, I don't think it works like that...

Link to story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

.As a new mummy whose husband is adopted that story makes me feel sick...what is going to happen to that poor child and what charges will the American woman face. The poor angel, just want to give him a hug, all children are precious but we are only their guardians...how could anyone do that...it makes me feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 destinybabe

Oh gosh this is just heartbreaking that darling little boy, thats no way to treat a child or person she didn't just return him,she actually put him on a plane with a note!! :eek:-how traumatic on top of being sent back unwanted to be on a plane alone,then taken to a police station & then taken to hospital for a checkup! grrrrr :mad: Makes me simmer I know it's not right to judge without knowing both sides of it but her case seems to be that facts were hidden regarding his mental state & she adopted him under this false information perhaps she did do everything within "her capability" to parent the child :confused: but firstly she sounds like she hasn't the first and most fundamental idea of what a"Mother" is.... any behavior on his part absolutely doesn't justify treating any child in this manner.I wonder what Russias screening processes for prospective parents are?It sounds seriously like this woman has just added to damaging this childs psychological state but on the other hand if she felt/treated this child consistently with such blatant disregard he's better off without her :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

zoegh wrote: »
    I just thought some people here might be interested in this story- I guess it shows that while the waiting system in Ireland might be a pain, at least the people who do succeed are committed, unlike some in the US, who can get through within months? Just a thought-

Anyway, this kid was adopted from Russia in September last year, and now the adoptive mother has sent him back, by himself, to Moscow, and wants the adoption annulled.

Somehow, I don't think it works like that...

Link to story
    We Irish are just as heartless as is indicated in this floowing story http://www.adoptionrightsalliance.com/tristanarticle.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 23 menorcababy

That story just makes my blood boil. I'm really annoyed at the fact the woman returned him alone, why could she not have travelled with the child?? Not only that the family was checked upon in January and everything was fine?? Anybody else think the grandmother plkayed a big part in getting rid of this child??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Pink Adoptions

That story just makes my blood boil. I'm really annoyed at the fact the woman returned him alone, why could she not have travelled with the child?? Not only that the family was checked upon in January and everything was fine?? Anybody else think the grandmother plkayed a big part in getting rid of this child??

I suppose she knew the authorities would not let get away with it.

She is a terrible monster, but the child is probably better off not being raised by her and her family.
    I think the American authorities should investigate her for child abuse, or at least endangerment. After all she is the legal guardian.

Not all adoptions work, just like not all birth parents can raise their child.
    But she is blaming the child (and the adoption agency).

The right thing to do, if it did not work out and if she felt she could not cope, was to contact her local health authorities and discuss her legally abandoning the child.
    It would have been a terrible failure, but it is better than being a monster.
    It would have given a chance to try and fix things, and if not, to minimize the impact on the child's self-esteem.

One wonders what was the role of the American and Russian authorities in following up how the placement was going. Why were there no alarm bells ringing.
    She may not be the monster the media tells us (though she is some type of monster), there may also have been some deeply worrying systematic failures: failures in the system.

@itsonlywords: that story is terrible, and shows how the proper channels and red-tape are a necessary pain, to try and prevent the unacceptable evil of trading children as a commodity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

This is a disgraceful story and the mother in the case should be ashamed of herself. However, I have a huge problem with the airline allowing a seven year old child on board a flight alone. Can't believe this aspect of the case is not been mentioned..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Pink Adoptions

This is a disgraceful story and the mother in the case should be ashamed of herself. However, I have a huge problem with the airline allowing a seven year old child on board a flight alone. Can't believe this aspect of the case is not been mentioned..:mad:

In fairness, unaccompanied minors can be usual travelers in some countries and the airline may have done nothing wrong.
    Aer Lingus would not do it.
    American Airline would have done it from 5 years of age (direct flights only): http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/specialAssistance/childrenTraveling.jsp&anchorEvent=false#AgeRangesForTravel

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

I think children should not be allowed to fly alone as it places another burden on the flight staff and puts the child at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

it's funny how you need a licence for a dog but any idiot can have a child.

I'm adopted and OMG how I would like to do something about those awful ppl out there when there are really good, honest ppl out there looking to adopt but can't.

oooo sssooo mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mulmulcahy

Well the only good thing to come out of this is that at least the child is away from that woman and has a chance of building a life with a family who love him. Im adopted myself and have sometimes struggled with being 'rejected' once let alone twice...

• Advertisement
Advertisement