Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

ziedth wrote: »
    I'll never forget the carling cup game against west ham and he scored two winning the game 3-2.

By god he was a useless oaf though, i think we should resign him. I'd prefer him to Kevin Doyle TBH :)

He's a centre back now though. Still better than McShane!
    anyway, great numbers again by the look of it. I would say we will
    get away with 7 a side on the third pitch so my suggestion after that is that we play a rolling subs type deal and everyone take 5min during the game.

Yeah it's mad saying it but we might have to restrict numbers. If 20 show up every week it will be crowded. Subs will have to be used. But if we end up with 3 subs on a 7 man team it could be tricky. If we regularly got 18 or so we could look into setting up three teams of 6 and rotating the teams every 10 minutes or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I dunno would I behind limiting the players, like for one thing how would you decide who to play and not if everyone was around?

Last week was a once in a blue moon job I'd say but if it does start to be a problem sure we can play for 70 min and everyone take 10 minutes.

Yeah 19 was probably a once off. Still if we had 16 each week it would bode well for forming an 11-a-side team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I heard he was released from Norwich alright. He'll be a welcome addition to our team!
    gscully wrote: »
    He's never been a welcome addition to any team! That right Ziedth?

Leave my best mate the Doc alone. Player of the season twice in the past 4 years. I'm paying homage to him on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

kensutz wrote: »
    Leave my best mate the Doc alone. Player of the season twice in the past 4 years. I'm paying homage to him on Monday.

And yet they released him. Can't understand that one myself.

• Advertisement

1) jonnyfingers
    2) Ziedth
    3) deise48
    4) deise48's friend
    5) MickClince12118
    6) Shy_Dave!
    7) mailrewop
    8) alco.29
    9) DKB
    10) Gary Doherty
    11) Mr Check raise
    12) Fergal

That's a good number right there but I'm sure there'll be more. Especially if the weather stays good.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

one of the lads is coming along with me later so thats another for the list.. he is a no nonsense defender type like john terry but without the hassle:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Have a feeling we will have upwards of 18 again which is crazy!
    I didn't mind it the last day, even when we started on the small 1/3.
    Don't particularly like the idea of using subs...Guess we will see how it goes!

I think two of my mates are coming down too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

we might have to start booking two pitches maybe soon and start using a bigger pitch like last week. we might get lucky again tonight with noone on the other pitch..dont think the subs thing would work really

• Advertisement

No harm in asking the Kingfisher if there's anyone else booked in for the same time as us.

Ya with a bit of luck we will be grand, I think we'd get away with 16 but after that it will be tight,

alco.29 wrote: »
    he is a no nonsense defender type like john terry

Jesus, watch your wives and girlfriends!

Good game again lads,

We were saying there at the end for a chalenge match with team America we were saying 8-9.30 on the Monday AFTER the bank holiday that's like the 12th by my count.

How does that sound? I'll PM Ian who posted here later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Good game again lads,

We were saying there at the end for a chalenge match with team America we were saying 8-9.30 on the Monday AFTER the bank holiday that's like the 12th by my count.

How does that sound? I'll PM Ian who posted here later.

How many were there have this evening lads?

I'll be making my long-awaited return next week so you can all stop worrying. :P

I didn't count but I'd say the bones of 16 maybe 17.

Good game again lads.
    I was out of it after 5 mins when my shin got clattered! :(:p

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    Good game again lads.
    I was out of it after 5 mins when my shin got clattered! :(:p

Yeah dirty tactics by the blue team. Us fancy footed people always get a kicking!!

But I really enjoyed the game, even if I played most of it in defense. Eoin (I think that was his name) and me made a decent defensive pair. I do love my runs forward though!

Regarding this challenge match. How are we going to pick the team? We had 16 there this evening, of which most seem to be regulars. Who's going to be the manager that has to make the hard decisions when picking the first 11 and leave people out?

Also I have no idea who can play in which positions. Everyone seems to prefer attacking and only a few stay back in our games, mostly because they have to.

Personally I don't mind playing in defense but I think I might be more effective in midfield, passing and moving.

That is where the major problem is going to lie.

Now I don't mind being involved with picking the team but I'm def not doing it on my own. It was hard enough doing it when I managed a 7 a side team with lads I had played with for years.

Luckily some players and positions seem to pick themselves like mark, dave and ken I'm sure nobody will argue would be grand in one spot each up the middle.

I think it might be an idea next week for everyone to play in their positions that they feel they are most comftable in.

Like there was a chap on our team (blue) that seemed to be a rock in defence he had a black tshirt IIRC. For the life of me I couldn't name him though,

The bones of a decent 11 are there IMO and sure if we can get this challenge going at the very least it would be something different.

I'm going to have to go back through this thread because I'm sure someone said they played junior league goalie and wanted to come down.

If I find them I'll PM them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

Yeah i Agree, we should all take a minute before the start of the next game to set positions. Simplest way is to just split up into attackers midfielders and defenders and pick the teams that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

I'm going to have to go back through this thread because I'm sure someone said they played junior league goalie and wanted to come down.

If I find them I'll PM them.

keep on meanin to come down for a look/game meself ,just too busy atm.

on the goalie,if he currently plays junior league he wont be able to play in the floodlit if ya enter a team,new rules are stating no junior league players allowed at all.

I think he said he was giving up but maybe he changed his mind.

A good keeper is essential IMHO so even if we got away with for the challenge match if we are gonna go ahead with the league we will def need one.

I think he said he was giving up but maybe he changed his mind.

A good keeper is essential IMHO so even if we got away with for the challenge match if we are gonna go ahead with the league we will def need one.

yeah a good keeper is the foundation really of the team imo. maybe ye ll get lucky .ye playing team america in it?played against them last week in the summer tournament.

Maybe playing a match so soon is a bad idea.
    I think we should have a few weeks of everyone playing in their positions see who does well and pick from that.
    Also would let us get our fitness up and familiarity with each others style of play.

Maybe your right Dave,

I'm certainly in no rush so maybe from this week we start playing things like offside within reason, playing somewhat of formations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr check raise

Yeah dirty tactics by the blue team. Us fancy footed people always get a kicking!!

But I really enjoyed the game, even if I played most of it in defense. Eoin (I think that was his name) and me made a decent defensive pair. I do love my runs forward though!

Regarding this challenge match. How are we going to pick the team? We had 16 there this evening, of which most seem to be regulars. Who's going to be the manager that has to make the hard decisions when picking the first 11 and leave people out?

Also I have no idea who can play in which positions. Everyone seems to prefer attacking and only a few stay back in our games, mostly because they have to.

Personally I don't mind playing in defense but I think I might be more effective in midfield, passing and moving.

Yep that was me! Just too lazy to attack. I think an aul game wouldnt do any harm. Its only a friendly anyway

Dirty tactics??

This is what happened to me http://tweetphoto.com/23823250

whats the standard/level/fitness like down there?

• Advertisement

Standard i would consider to be fairly good, 4 if not 5 down there would be very good IMO and another 10 well able to play.

At the same time I wouldn't be worried about being left for dead. I'm useless like!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement