Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

anyone know when the league is actually starting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Slksht wrote: »
    Sure looks like we aint gonna get 11 a side tonight lads!!

And on the price, how is it suddenly a 10er if we are planning on having 22 people?!?

If we neeed people I will make up the numbers very easily but the people who will be playing on the actual team would be a much better option...

what Johnny said,

I think the idea is on every 4th game to have it free and we need money to cover the nights when only 12/14 turn up. We have never had more then 19 and I'm nor going around asking people to bring €7.50.

Yea shin pads tonight lads, I must go buy a cheap pair down town now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

im looking for a few matches to get fit, i play nightowels in kk, and might be around waterford tonight, will i go or do ye have enough.. and if so where is it..

Hi there,

No call in for a game, your more then welcome. It's beside Superquinn it's called kingfisher and the pitch is just out the back of it you can't miss it.

On at 6.45 and €10 k?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Think it starts in 3/4 weeks but I'm not definite!
    If anyone needs shinguards tonight I have a spare pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I got a pair of Adidas shinguards in Lifestyle for €9 - nothing wrong with that!

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I got a pair of Adidas shinguards in Lifestyle for €9 - nothing wrong with that!
    snap got the same ones meself.. my friend said he will play for us too but cant make it tonight because of work but wants to register up.. he plays right full.

I'm just filling in a preilminary online fourm,

we need to decide on:

Team Name:

Colours:

Manager: Name? I can't put Alans da :)

Phone: PM me alan?

Assistant: I'm happy to do this but if anyone else want's to i'll leave it to them

alco.29 wrote: »
    snap got the same ones meself.. my friend said he will play for us too but cant make it tonight because of work but wants to register up.. he plays right full.

Thank God, I don't wanna play there again :)

Matt did you get in contact with kevin Daly??Sorry Matt didnt see your post above me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

my mate bryan cant make it tonight, so we're down to 15 i think but there should be 4 or so from offline

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm just filling in a preilminary online fourm,

we need to decide on:

Team Name:

Colours:

Manager: Name? I can't put Alans da :)

Phone: PM me alan?

Assistant: I'm happy to do this but if anyone else want's to i'll leave it to them
    Done

Tomas is coming so we are back up to 16.

How much is registration for this?

I didn't get a chance to ring Kevin yet as it's been a hectic week and I was away till today but we have till Friday so we are grand.

We gotta pick like a name and colour jersey in the meantime anyway.

We'll have a team talk again after the match I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's AdMMM + 2 now.

1) jonnyfingers
    2) mickclince12118
    3) mickclince12118's mate brian
    4) nkay1985
    5) Matt Klose
    6) tombliboo83(Gary)
    7) Slksht (Fergal)
    8) Shy_Dave!
    9) mailrewop
    10) Jeremy Goss
    11) alco.29
    12) Kieth
    13) AdMMM (i propose this guy our new centre half
    14) Mr check raise
    15) Tombliboos' brother
    16) Davvve
    17) AdMMM's friend
    18) AdMMM's friend

Can possibly get one or two more along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Regarding colours for the team, looking at the squad photos last week most colours have already been taking. One that hasn't seems to be black. Can't be sure as the squad photos are no longer up. So that could be good for us as we'd avoid clashing. Don't know what visibility would be like under the floodlights but we could go for a striped effect like Newcastle if that would be an issue.

Plus black is slimming which suits me!

Something like this?

http://www.soccerkits.com/Vertak-Black-White-15-x-Shirts-Shorts-p701.html

The above are only available in size Small but just an idea of what we could go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Referees wear black so you'll need to get it striped with another colour.

In Theory,

could we pick whatever colour we wanted and just get numbers put on the back of the red bibs as backup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

1) jonnyfingers
    2) mickclince12118
    3) mickclince12118's mate brian
    4) nkay1985
    5) Matt Klose
    6) tombliboo83(Gary)
    7) Slksht (Fergal)
    8) Shy_Dave!
    9) mailrewop
    10) Jeremy Goss
    11) alco.29
    12) Kieth
    13) AdMMM (i propose this guy our new centre half
    14) Mr check raise
    15) Tombliboos' brother
    16) Davvve
    17) AdMMM's friend
    18) AdMMM's friend
    19) gamercfc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    Think it starts in 3/4 weeks but I'm not definite!
    If anyone needs shinguards tonight I have a spare pair.

Dave can you bring a spare pair? Mine have gone walkabouts

• Advertisement

Decent game tonight lads,

Good to see a bit of shape and organisation.

I'll register us tomorrow and anyone not sent me name, number and DOB please do.

Sorry Ken, only seeing that message now!
    Good game guys, was poor myself, oh well. :p
    So will you be able to register each of us Matt? No form for each individual to fill in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I decided to go play two other games last night. Really paying for it today!

I enjoyed last night and we definitely have the bones of a good starting XI at the very least.

I'm not really a centre back though, as speed is probably my biggest asset and would prefer to either be a Sweeper with a free role, or a deep-lying midfielder. I'd have absolutely no problem playing there if it transpires that I'm better suited to that position in the bigger picture of the teams abilities though - I'll just have to stop committing myself to tackles further up the field :).

The biggest problem I saw last night was that we don't know each other. I know I can't be saying much, with it only being my second game, but all too often I saw the ball being played into space when people weren't running or into their feet when they were expecting it to be played into space. This is something that will come in time but we definitely won't have it off in time for the start of the league, so I'll imagine we'll have to deal with some initial frustrations of nothing working for us.

Also, do we have a goalkeeper? Being a goalkeeper (or playing any other role for that matter) shouldn't be seen as a chore. If we have a goalkeeper, great, if not we need to find one pretty quickly because you need to be able to rely on players and lets be honest, you can't rely on a player who is unfamiliar with the position.

good point there adam about a goalkeeper. I think we need to find one prerty soon. Any body know any good goalkeepers? Hows the registration coming along matt we all signed up now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Goalkeeper is a must but I think someone who's signed up has said he's a goalkeeper??? Maybe I'm wrong.

And Adam I think you should be a shoe-in for centre back. There's no need for a sweeper really in FLS because of the offside line. The defense pretty much have to stay on that line for the game so they will already be deep. And with your heading and pace you're exactly the type of centre back we need.

I think we definitely have the makings of a good back four, a few good midfielder and some good attackers. But many of the goals the other night were due to simple mistakes, not clearing the ball properly, getting stuck in possesion, defense not lining up, midfield not tracking back etc.

Then in attack there was a few too many balls hit in over the defense for the attackers to run on to. Most of these were hit too long or not at the right time. And other times a pass was on but wasn't played, instead the player tried to run or tried a fancy flick. These are the little things we need to work on but I think we've improved a good bit in a short while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Enjoyed the game the other night, in kk where i play fll, the main differance between all the teams is quality Goalkeeper and 2 Quality Central Midfielders, other positions can be learned easily, but to find 2 players who are fit and tough and can pass around the middle along with strong heading, is by far the most important thing, at this kind of level.. Fill those 2 positions first with the strongest fittest, and work from there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

ziedth wrote: »
    In Theory,

could we pick whatever colour we wanted and just get numbers put on the back of the red bibs as backup?

Go for whatever colour you want.

If your colour clashes with the referee he will change (they normally bring a yellow or black kit) and beforehand he will know the colours of both teams involved so it is normally not an issue.

Bibs can do for a 2nd kit but what most teams do is bring along a certain colour tshirt for a game they know there will be a clash. You will see the colours of the team you are playing on the websites fixture part and I can't remember off the top of my head but but I think the away team has to change their strip in a colour clash. It means ya have a bit of notice.
    If ye are doing this long term chip in and buy a 2nd kit next season to have decent options!

And what Aidan said is true, if you get the spine of the team right you will be hard to beat. A decent goalkeeper is a must because of the nature of the surface anyone not used to the position will be caught out badly. A fast strong center half that can break forward will open up any team, one good touch can take 2 or 3 people out of the game because of how difficult it is to turn and get back. 2 Midfielders that can pass the ball and shoot will win you most games and expect to see a lot of goals coming from that area of the pitch!

Best of luck with it anyway.

P.S. Good thing ye didn't enter the Summer Cup, a team shipped 11 goals the other night in it. Not good for moral!

Goalkeeper is a must but I think someone who's signed up has said he's a goalkeeper??? Maybe I'm wrong.

And Adam I think you should be a shoe-in for centre back. There's no need for a sweeper really in FLS because of the offside line. The defense pretty much have to stay on that line for the game so they will already be deep. And with your heading and pace you're exactly the type of centre back we need.

I think we definitely have the makings of a good back four, a few good midfielder and some good attackers. But many of the goals the other night were due to simple mistakes, not clearing the ball properly, getting stuck in possesion, defense not lining up, midfield not tracking back etc.

Then in attack there was a few too many balls hit in over the defense for the attackers to run on to. Most of these were hit too long or not at the right time. And other times a pass was on but wasn't played, instead the player tried to run or tried a fancy flick. These are the little things we need to work on but I think we've improved a good bit in a short while.
    Ye Thats kieth who comes down with me. I think he is goin off the idea now though cause he is not great... I agree about Adam too thought he had a great game at CB..I thoght that was his natural position..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

If Kev's special friend will agree to sign up we could have the best keeper in the whole league. If not, then we will need to sort one soon enough to be fair..

Adam played great at CB, I think Thomas is very handy CM, and Brian is also quite good at the touches into space and short passes. And with Tramore Dave running around up front, the spine could be very good indeed!

There are alot of other very decent players who will do good jobs so really, I reckon we could have quite a strong XI..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr check raise

Slksht wrote: »
    If Kev's special friend will agree to sign up we could have the best keeper in the whole league. If not, then we will need to sort one soon enough to be fair..

Adam played great at CB, I think Thomas is very handy CM, and Brian is also quite good at the touches into space and short passes. And with Tramore Dave running around up front, the spine could be very good indeed!

There are alot of other very decent players who will do good jobs so really, I reckon we could have quite a strong XI..?

Whos this special friend...oh and i told ye Adam was a shoe in for centre back!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement