Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭kensutz

No harm in giving the admins a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'll see what I can do,

Might be a bit late in the day for this year but I'll see what I can do.

I'm not fussed on the name, maybe some play on words involving boards should be used but I'm easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

1) tombliboo83
    2) Matt VanBasten
    3) Ken Zidane
    4) Jonathan 'Keano' Kelly
    5) David 'Messi/y' Power
    6) Adam 'Chopper' Murphy
    7) MickClince12118
    8) Eoin "dimitir" Foley
    9) Alan Ossou Ekotto
    10) Kieth the Power
    11) mailrewop

1) tombliboo83
    2) Matt VanBasten
    3) Ken Zidane
    5) David 'Messi/y' Power
    6) Adam 'Chopper' Murphy
    7) MickClince12118
    8) Eoin "dimitir" Foley
    9) Alan Ossou Ekotto
    10) Kieth the Power
    11) mailrewop
    11) Dave Gomez (our new goalie)

just a reminder lads this is for a chalenge match in WATERPARK on Monday at 9. Meeting at half 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

1) tombliboo83
    2) Matt VanBasten
    3) Ken Zidane
    5) David 'Messi/y' Power
    6) Adam 'Chopper' Murphy
    7) MickClince12118
    8) Eoin "dimitir" Foley
    9) Alan Ossou Ekotto
    10) Kieth the Power
    11) mailrewop
    12) nkay1985
    13) Dave Gomez (our new goalie)

• Advertisement

We are all organised for Monday,

Kevin is going to Ref the game so if anyone has amy questions let me know here and I'll raise them with him.

I must ask about jersey colour for one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I suggest everyone reads up on the floodlit soccer league rules, http://www.floodlitsoccer.com/ things like not being allowed slide-tackle we must know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've requested the early shift on Monday, and with the staff night out on Sunday there should be no shortage of people willing to swap with me should the powers that be ignore my request.

Is the surface on the full-sized pitch the same as it is on the smaller pitches behind it? I've played a few times on those but never competitively. I seem to remember the ball skidding off the astro-turf whenever it was played up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

its not too bad when the weather is dry. When its wet, the ball is like a bar of soap in the bath. Skids off the surface like a B****. Great for strikers - not so great for keepers :D Also has an incredible bounce off the surface when coming from a height.

Yeah, it's a slip sliddy pitch that one :(
    First touch is even more important on it.

• Advertisement

Spraying balls over the top is out of the question then i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

That should be good for us anyway, as we generally send far too many aimless balls over the top of defenders rather than passing to feet when we get into the final third

I agree mick,

Gerry will tell us what's what but I'd say we try pass and move with short passes.

On another note, that keeper I mentioned that I played with before said he might come down for a look.

Nothing is confirmed yet but if he did I'm sure himself and dave wouldn't mind taking 30min each for this game.

Route 1 football worked for us last time. I say "us" collectively because I know that it was basically whatever team that had Dave belted the ball forward while the other team tried to play one-two balls over the top etc.

Route 1 works so long as the defense is uncomfortable and likely to make mistakes. I myself made two mistakes last week and both eventually led to goals. I'm really looking forward to Monday to see how we get on against an established team. Can we manage to adapt to the situation, or is Route one all we can hope for?

My only advanced warning is that I'll attack the ball, so I'll appreciate a midfielder temporarily covering my position while I'll attack. It's in my nature unfortunately.

I think both teams attempted one-two play and over the top the other day, we had some decent bits of play.
    The key will be seeing what is working best for us on Monday and using it!

I'm very surprised by the coherency of my post there considering I can't remember making it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Any ball over the top that's even hit a foot too long will simply take one bounce and either reach the keeper or go out for a goal kick. I played as a striker for a few games a few years ago and I don't think I touched the ball once. I'll I did was chase lost causes.

So unless we have someone with David Beckham-like long passing I think we should try to play it to feet as much as possible.

In my experience the wings are very important in Waterpark. If we can get the ball into a crossing position it's a nightmare to defend against. If the ball bounces it could go anywhere. If the defender heads it clear all we need is a midfielder with a good shot to pick it up outside the box and he'll get chances.

And a tip for anyone playing in defense. If you're under pressure clear the ball first time. As d-sher said, if it's wet the ball is like a bar of soap. Trying to take a touch with attackers closing in is very dangerous. Better just to hoof it up the pitch or out for a throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Whats the story with kit tomorrow nite, do we have 11 bibs one colour, if not we'll need to fill out the excess by lads wearing the same colour as the bibd we're using..which colour will we use then?

we have 10 red ones but maybe one didn't one didn't get put back one week.

ziedth wrote: »
    we have 10 red ones but maybe one didn't one didn't get put back one week.

10 will do, the goalie doesn't need one really.

By the way, lovely weather for some football!

• Advertisement

Supposed to rain for the day so hope it don't turn anyone off. We'll have to be used to playing in this weather anyway

I reckon it will clear up just in time for the match.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

Anyone got an idea of how many people we are expecting to turn up tonight?

Right lads,

I never thought of mentioning anything to Gerry and he's away tonight so we are flying solo.

My suggestion is that a couple of us just pick a starting 11 as best we can and roll the subs.

Tomas is coming down so we seem to have about 14/15 going.

13 according to the list, I'd expect 15. Looks like it won't be raining alright but the pitch will still be wet. We'll need to sort out a proper kit soon, that site Johnny posted seems good. Anyhow, tonight should be a learning experience for the better I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

Looks like its down to you so Matt. Im sure ya have an idea who and where to play people anyway... Are you goin to play tonight so or do some coaching from the sidelines???

Ya,

We'll have a chat tonight about kits, we should be fine.

Any word from Kev these days? Also, I assume Fergal is good to go tonight ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

1) tombliboo83
    2) Matt VanBasten
    3) Ken Zidane
    5) David 'Messi/y' Power
    6) Adam 'Chopper' Murphy
    7) MickClince12118
    8) Eoin "dimitir" Foley
    9) Alan Ossou Ekotto
    10) Kieth the Power
    11) mailrewop
    12) nkay1985
    13) Dave Gomez (our new goalie)
    14) gamercfc

Can someone clarify exactly where abouts the waterpark pitch is. is it actually in Waterpark school?

Also, what time have we to be there at the earliest?

• Advertisement

Funnily enough Matt and Ken gave me directions to Waterpark a few months back when we didn't know each other :D
    It's by Ardkeen hospital.
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.2476&lon=-7.07689&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF

We should be there between 8.00-8.30 I imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement