Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

kensutz wrote: »
    Once you get a first touch on it, you should be ok. The trick is to look before you get the ball so you know if someone is coming in on you.

So are you saying that if someone is coming in on you not to bother trying to control it or what?

I was saying on the sidelines that you almost need to use a touch to control it, rather than using your first touch to knock it in the direction you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Any of you want a game in KK next Tuesday, only 30 mins away with the new motorway, ive a pitch booked for 11 a side for 7:30 next week.. We are towards the bottom half of Div 3 in kk so ye will have a fair idea where ye stand after it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hi lads,

So I have had the few hours to think about last night and all and here are my bullet points:

Dave(keeper) is a real find and it's something I was worried about it's fair to say we could have lost that game 3-1 had he not been playing.*

Backline: did very well. Johhny was rock centre half and alan also played a blinder almost scoring what would have been a cracker. We seemed to get first balls away well and played simple balls, which I think is key. But it's slightly unfair to single out anyone because in both halfs against a handy team yee were top drawer. **

Midfield: Ken got stuck in very well as did tomas and both can pick out a good pass which is going to be crucial. Dave, Liam and Eoin all did very well because they had a couple of quality players in there and I know it was hard.*

Forwards: Gary very strong and set me up with a peach which I just couldn't get onto to take a shot. Dave took his goal like a pro and basically held the line as well as we all know he can. *

Subs: I can't say I saw much as I was playing at this stage but Mick did well thrown into centre back as did (alan's mate) also won a couple of good balls but everyone played an important part at some stage.*

Overall: we can all admit we made various mistakes that we could and maybe should have been punished for but as a unit we did well. We are gonna have to work on corners and frees but like most things I think match practice will sort out allot. But I'll say again for our first full game and missing a couple of players being Ken, Fergal, Adam *and one or two more I feel we stood our ground well. I might say that maybe based on chances that they deserverd a draw but we are gonna get games like that when we should have creamed someone and decisions and the roll of the ball will go against us.*

Downside: none, it's not my place to call out anything. When Gerry is around I hope he will pull us up on stuff. It's fair also to say that Jerrys shape and starting 11 could be a world apart from mine. In the future if and when Jerry is missing I'll send out as close to what he thinks is our best team. I didn't like the situation tonight because I want everyone to play a full game and I'm no more able to pick a team then anyone else and if anyone does have a problem either mention it here or PM me. I won't take any offence to people thinking that someone else could be a better assistant.

Suggestions: again, not really my place but I'm just going to throw it out there that maybe we should think about only booking a 1/3 pitch for two hours on a Monday then work on things such as passing, control, finishing, corners and so on before a 7 side game. Say only train for an hour and a half hour match and then have a quick chat after? Again, it's only an idea!

Finally: Kevin told me that there is a pre season tournament in august that is pretty much set up for new teams so I think we should aim to play in that with maybe one more friendly thrown in. Also, it's the summer boards beers this Friday night in downes at 9pm if you wanna call in and have a chat. Me, Niall, Johnny, Eoin and Adam all are going at last check so if your free call in. It's always a bit of a laugh.

Anyway, feel free to make any comments. I really wanna know what toy story 3 was like :) *

Yes they are second from bottom in summer league but I'm pretty sure the standard in summer league is a good deal higher then ours.

I think we might find it hard against a top team but I was talking to Kevin. And he said it's important not to loose heart if and when we do ship a few goals.

Ya Niall, she was great to come down but strangely didn't think it was a game that could have been shown all over the world like ai did.

I'm going to Kevin on Thursday and we need to have a Name and Jersey picked by then. Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

That team are in our group in the summer league but I missed the game against them so not sure what they were like (we did beat them though). Looking at their results, they were beaten handy in most games but what Kevin said is true about keeping heart. I haven't seen many routs in the few years I have played the summer league, most big scoring games happen in the last 10 mins when you are tired and already down 2 nil. Players just lose interest at that point, what ya need to drum into fellas heads is keeping your shape in a case like that. No one likes losing but there is a difference in losing 2-0 to a good side and playing well and losing 6-0 to an average side when the midfield decides to stop tracking "because the game is lost already".

It's all about attitude really when ye are in a situation like that!

Ye do have one advantage over most winter league teams in that ye are all nerds and will analyse the game here and try improve :D
    A lot of teams just go from game to game and chat about it before it, what ye lack in skill ye should make up for in organisation which will beat a lot of teams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭kensutz

The faults from last night.
    • Not playing the whistle - too busy calling for offside and standing still
    • Second half became a bit sloppy with the wingers not coming back to help the full backs. They can only mark 1 attacker and sometimes had 2 on them
    • Sometimes when a player burst out of defence I screamed at someone to cover them. It's just positional awareness for us that need to be looked at.

If we get those sorted we'll be laughing. I know it sounds a bit bitchy but I could only do so much shouting at people before I got frustrated :) Fitness seemed to hit some people too. Don't worry about it, between first game nerves etc you'll be flying in another couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Great night last nite!! We tended to play better when we got our foot on the ball and passed it about in final third. Enjoyed playing with Dave, think there's lots of goals to be had. Looking forward to next Mon.;)

Ken has a point there about playing the whistle.

That offside line a crazy rule, I couldn't get my head around it for the 20 min or so I was one. It's just natural instinct to ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭kensutz

That's why I told Gary and Dave to push up on to the line. Some defenders are still playing the old school rule and it's there to be taken advantage of. Another point I forgot to mention is that our 2 attackers should split their defenders on goal kicks. That limits their options and stops the quick/short goal kicks being made. It still happens every week when we're playing in the Kingfisher, that we allow quick goal kicks to be taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

The faults from last night.
    • Not playing the whistle - too busy calling for offside and standing still
    • Second half became a bit sloppy with the wingers not coming back to help the full backs. They can only mark 1 attacker and sometimes had 2 on them
    • Sometimes when a player burst out of defence I screamed at someone to cover them. It's just positional awareness for us that need to be looked at.

If we get those sorted we'll be laughing. I know it sounds a bit bitchy but I could only do so much shouting at people before I got frustrated :) Fitness seemed to hit some people too. Don't worry about it, between first game nerves etc you'll be flying in another couple of weeks.

I'd agree with everything here. With regards to the offside shout, sometimes you have to hesitate a second so that the guy looks offside to maximise our chances of getting the call! It's risky but effective. But I agree play the whistle as much as possible.

Other than that we just need to sort people into positions and work out a game plan. Last night on the dodgy pitch, without a real game plan, I decided to hoof everything and just stop the opposition from getting anywhere. The more we play together and depending on ability and skill we might start controlling the ball and passing it off when possible instead to try to keep possesion. Having a good keeper behind us made a huge difference as we didn't fell under so much pressure.

I think the majority of us could to with getting the fitness up, especially those in midfield. They really need to go from attack to defense and back again continuously so need to be able for it. I think with left and right backs who are comfortable on the ball and two capable wingers in front of them we could have a lot of joy going up the wings. One of the central midfielders could always give the option of an easy pass into the centre and also cover defensively if the back has gone forward.

Up front I think we need someone big and strong to park themselves on the yellow offside line. He can throw himself around a bit and become a nuissance to the defense. His strike partner could drop a little deeper and maybe try and turn on the ball and run at the defense.

Most importantly I think we all need to improve our touch. I think we should treat the monday nights as training and play a game of two-touch football on the short pitch. One touch to control it and the second to pass it, no running with the ball. This would get us used to controlling the ball and looking up for a pass. It would also get us used to making ourselves available for a pass. Also it would build our confidence. I think a lot of us panic when the ball is coming and the defender is running at you. The more we control it and pass it the more confident we'll become.

Other than that we should all have a go at freekicks, corners and penalties and see who's the best and assign those people the duties when on the pitch. We could do with setting up a basic formation for corners and frees, both defensively and offensively and the same for throw-ins.

I think it's obvious from the game last night that there will be very few teams that are miles ahead of us. Most will have a few decent players but nothing special. So with a bit of work I think we'll do ok.

• Advertisement

That's why I told Gary and Dave to push up on to the line. Some defenders are still playing the old school rule and it's there to be taken advantage of. Another point I forgot to mention is that our 2 attackers should split their defenders on goal kicks. That limits their options and stops the quick/short goal kicks being made. It still happens every week when we're playing in the Kingfisher, that we allow quick goal kicks to be taken.

Shhh! That's my favourite thing to do as a defender!

I think a three touch game on a Monday is a great idea johnny. Also, I agree about a strong player up front with tramore dave along with Gary or maybe even could try push daave up and give fergal ago left midfield as another option.

Fitness is by far my biggest problem and I could see it in a few others too so maybe in august we should all make an effort to try bring it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

I couldn't agree more that it was extremely helpful having a good keeper behind the defense.I was extremely impressed with daves communication as well as his overall play last night.

I also think that having one of the midfielders holding back on forward runs would help a lot, so that when the ball comes into the defense their might be an easy ball on, instead of having to clear it all the time.

Another point that was made was that when our wingers got tired,they stopped tracking back a bit and opened the full backs up to a lot of attacking by their wingers. Then when the full backs had to go to the extra man it left the center of defense with extra men to handle. So it all comes full circle lads. No one can blame anyone for getting tired lads, its not as if any of us are marathon men. But i would say especially on the wings, when u are getting tired you need to think, are you going to be able to get back if you make that run forward. if not u need to be a bit hesitant about your runs.

However apart from loosing our shape a bit when lads were getting tired, the performance was very encouraging, especially considering it was our first game together and we had lads missing. Before we got tired everybody was working hard for each other and it was a very honest performance by everyone i thought. So if we can just keep a bit of organization about us when we are tired we should hold up well against the other teams in our division(if last night is anything to go by).

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

I have nothing more to add really think everything was said already...For the first time playin together as a team against a team that plays together once a week we done pretty well no matter how bad or good they are.. Me personally i felt the tiredness creeping in last night and i asked the lads to make a switch but there was only 2 mins left by then so i just stayed on..I was telling Gerry about the game last night and he was happy for us but the main thing he wanted to know was Did we enjoy it??? I really enjoyed it and what made it more enjoyable was that we won happy days.... Oh and ten out of ten for everyone for effort alone..

That's a good point about enjoying it actually. What'd be the point in doing something if you weren't enjoying yourself. I personally really enjoyed it anyway.

It'll also be handy to have Gerry there so that we can make use of the rolling subs thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I've always tended to be a player who only enjoyed playing if I played well and good for the team. I've always been my hardest critic.
    I've noticed we have a great laugh a lot of the time we play together and I'm starting to enjoy just playing.
    For instance I misscontrolled the ball a lot last night but didn't feel like you guys would kill me for it, which is great, can only be beneficial for someone like me.

Actually,

I think dave has mentioned an important point there just to expand a bit one.

Watching that game last night when a mistake was made by fc twenty benson there was groans and some gave out to the player while we more said hard luck or good effort. It's important IMO to keep that kind of thing up.

Yea I remember when that happened I thought "Thank god we're not like that with each other!" :D

Good point. I remember one instance when the lad I was on at the time shouted "What the fcuk is that sh1t!" at one of his teammates. Nice team spirit there!

Yeah when the opposition started shouting at each other I knew we'd won the game! :D

Truth is we're all in it for the laugh, our expectations are not high and we're just happy to be playing a regular game of football. That's a pretty good attitude to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

Anyone have any suggestions on the starting XI formation?

The posts are about it being a very good win and a decent performance etc but apart from that did we learn anything about where someone should or shouldn't play? As in from their original positions which they were in (or subbed into), did they suit it or show skills that might be better suited to other positions?

Is it gonna be 4-4-2? 4-4-1-1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Think Gerry will have an idea when he sees us play a bit more bout who plays where and what formation. Think we should play another 11a-side Mon nite to give him a better idea as he's only been down twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

If ye are struggling to get up to the 22 I'll play next Monday with ye.

I didn't come along last Monday as I've already committed to a Night Owls team for next year but I would happily still come along to the odd Monday night in the Kingfisher.

Slksht wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions on the starting XI formation?

The posts are about it being a very good win and a decent performance etc but apart from that did we learn anything about where someone should or shouldn't play? As in from their original positions which they were in (or subbed into), did they suit it or show skills that might be better suited to other positions?

Is it gonna be 4-4-2? 4-4-1-1?

It's hard to know,

i'm not a fan of a 4-4-2 personally. but, this is Gerry's decision. I think we learned allot to be honest. I would say that 7 if not 8 positions were nailled down and i'd be the first to tell Gerry that if he asked for my input.

Anyway, I'm going into Kevin tomorrow and register us so we need yo get a name sorted. Boards United is the one I gave to him orginally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

"Boarderline Brilliant"? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

Regarding the name Matt. Does it have to do with boards or could we come up with something witty??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

ziedth wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm going into Kevin tomorrow and register us so we need yo get a name sorted. Boards United is the one I gave to him orginally.

The Geoffs Appreciation Society ;)

Damned United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

I actually quite like Boarderline Brilliant... Boardom United...

Is Gerry up for actually managing lads? I know he said he is but is he definitely serious about it yeah?

• Advertisement

I'm not at all fussed about the name,

It doesn't have to do with boards at all but if down the line we were gonna ask them for sponsorship of some kind it might be an idea ya know?

Gerry seems to be fully up for it Fergal ya.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement