Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

Do I need to get extras lads?

22 players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Extra players are always welcome, espically if they'd play for us

Right lads,

small pitch was far from Ideal tonight but some of the lads did very well. Mick in particular I thought had a stormer. Anyway, we are off with the bank holiday next week and I have a religious retreat (:)) the fiollowing week so if someone could collect the money it would be great.

I thought the two new lads were very strong, are they on board Allan? If they are could you PM me their info?

Look lads, I don't care whether or not that challenge on me is considered legal (I actually think he would'av been caught for following through on my leg in a real match) but I tell you something, it's not half after pissing me funking off!!

I'm limping and have ice on it now and I'm saying now, that for me, if the team is in favour of those types of intense tackles in what is essentially our training game, then I'm out of this team.

The general consensus seemed to be that it was fine so if that's the case, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to leave it off.. I'm not playing to get hurt..

And as Tomas said, they'll prob tackled harder in the real FLS so I'm not sure I'm up for that tbh

Sorry,
    Fergal

IMHO Fergal that was 100% fine and Tomas is right, I hear they gonon fairly hard.

I for one would not want to see you go Fergal but If it's not for you it's your decision. I'll just say one thing Kev has wrecked his knee and it looks like he can't play again and would do anything to play in fact just to be involved he's gonna come in with me as an assistant to Gerry when the season starts.

Even though the tackle may or may not have been overly hard Adam is not the kind of guy to try and go in hard for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

Slksht wrote: »
    Look lads, I don't care whether or not that challenge on me is considered legal (I actually think he would'av been caught for following through on my leg in a real match) but I tell you something, it's not half after pissing me funking off!!

I'm limping and have ice on it now and I'm saying now, that for me, if the team is in favour of those types of intense tackles in what is essentially our training game, then I'm out of this team.

The general consensus seemed to be that it was fine so if that's the case, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to leave it off.. I'm not playing to get hurt..

And as Tomas said, they'll prob tackled harder in the real FLS so I'm not sure I'm up for that tbh

Sorry,
    Fergal
    Jesus its football your goin to get kicked if ya dont wanna get kicked then play basketball or knitting or something. Stop being so soft. It was not a bad challenge you just came of the worst is all.
    Yeah matt the two boys are on board im just waiting on tommy to get back to me with the details. A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Having playing nightowls now for 2 years I can definitely say that was a mild challenge.

I played up against adam all night and found him to be very fair. I certainly wouldnt have thought there was anything malicious in any of his challenges.

Im terribly sorry to hear someone has done a serious injury

I hope ye do well in the league lads except of course if ye play us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

Fergal, unfortunately that is just the nature of sport. Injuries do occur. If you had Shin guards on they would have prevented or lessened the injury in my opinion. It is also my opinion that if you are worried about getting little knocks then the league is not the place for you. There is no doubt that they will be kicking hard.

Adam's tackle was an excellent challenge and he did play the ball. There will be players in the league that will have no interest in playing the ball and will go through you for a short cut - I have no shame in saying that I am also one of these players when the time calls for it!
    Its done so that you will think twice about challenging for the ball the next time. It is also done because some people are just pricks....

Adam seems like a though competitive player (as a perfect centre half should be!) but I have to say he is a fair one and It would be a shame if you decided to drop out as you are a good player too.... If you do decide to continue playing you will need lots of deep heat, compression bandages and ice - Thats a certainty!

Good job we didn't decide to put a hurling or rugby team together! :0)

Actually,

Dave makes a point, I think it would be an idea to buy a first aid kit and sine deep heat out of the kitty. Any objections let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ziedth wrote: »
    Actually,

Dave makes a point, I think it would be an idea to buy a first aid kit and sine deep heat out of the kitty. Any objections let me know.

Sounds like a good idea to me Matt.

So are we not playing at all next week? I know Monday's a bank holiday alright but could we not move it to another day like we did before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr check raise

3 things:

1. Gerry said we'll play next Tues if we can

2. I have the keepers gloves that he left in the goal(Fabien Barthez gloves)

3. WTF Fergal, it was a perfect tackle. Its a mans game and sometimes you'll get injured. Dont go quiting the team because you got a bad knock

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

2. I have the keepers gloves that he left in the goal(Fabien Barthez gloves)

Nice 1, thanks Mr check raise, I only realised now that they were missing!

With being me away lads can someone else organise the game for Monday, only a matter of ringing kingfisher and seeing what's available. Whatever you do though don't mention our game on a Monday. I half mentioned something about maybe going back to a third size to them and they gave away our pitch.

Regarding this tackle, I think everyone should take a deep breath. I can understand where Fergal is coming from, I'm not a fan of overly hard tackles either due to my old lady knees but It is part of the game.

Last we want here is someone saying something in the heat of the moment ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I probably shouldn't have played that, groin is in bits! Can't say I enjoyed it too much!
    It's a shame to hear that Fergal, as has been said, I'm sure it felt bad but everyone saw it as a fair tackle. We will get worse in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Sorry,
    Fergal

hardly any kicking goes on in floodlit,not allowed to slide tackle etc its more shoulder to shoulder stuff.so youll be alright.also shinguards are compulsary too.

Ye.. I dunno like, I don't mean to imply that Adam is not a fair player (although he could'av asked if I was alright like) but my point is that tackles that are very fast and intense (as that one was, without question as he was sprinting) shouldn't be made in our training matches which is what Monday night is.

I have played soccer for clubs for 6 years and I have been busted many many times, ffs I got concussed and tried to funking play on, and had to leave as a result of getting bad tackles which were unnecessary but I accepted them as there were competitive matches. I'm clearly not a pussy Alan, just pointing that out boy... This was not competitve and I have no intention of coming along on a Monday before the season even starts to get tackled like that (which regardless of ye saying it was fair, was unnecessarirly rough in the circumstances).

Straining my ankles twice is bad enough when I was younger, I don't need it again...

I think it's a case of trying to play well in front of the coach Fergal, I think that's where the competitiveness is coming in.

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    I think it's a case of trying to play well in front of the coach Fergal, I think that's where the competitiveness is coming in.

I would agree with that mate but we all know he is a very good player. He doesn't need to prove it with strong tackles..

I dunno, I feel a bit stupid now but I stand by what I posted. Maybe I was a bit OTT with the first post but it really funking hurt and I was fairly angry,just because I was enjoying myself and then couldn't play on properly at all because of a stupid tackle...

And therein lies the answer with Dave,

With the two news lads (who I will say again seemed very good) I mean who would you have 100% starting? Our starting xi against FC twenty Benson did well but you got Adam, The two new lads, Bryan, Fergal and Mick had a cracker tonight there that IMO could replace pretty much anyone.

Everyone is going to have to play on Mondays as if they were playing the league. If you want to not play on a Monday Fergal and just turn out for the games your welcome to do that. Will Gerry go with that? He might he might not.

I'll say it again, your one of the more useful players down there fergal and I def don't want to see you walk but I'm not begging and I'm certainly not going to ask anyone not to play to their best. If I felt the challenge was rough (and I haven't seen an OTT challenge since we started) I'd be the first to call it out.

Take the week and think about it but it's ONE challenge since you started, all in all that's not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I would agree with that mate but we all know he is a very good player. He doesn't need to prove it with strong tackles..

I dunno, I feel a bit stupid now but I stand by what I posted. Maybe I was a bit OTT with the first post but it really funking hurt and I was fairly angry,just because I was enjoying myself and then couldn't play on properly at all because of a stupid tackle...

Look, I think you're taking it a little too seriously. The challenge was hard but fair. Yes it could be argued that challenges should be a little easier in friendly matches, but that was one tackle in, what, 10 games? Everyone agrees it was not a malicious challenge, you just happened to take a knock. It happens in every sport. I've dislocated fingers playing basketball, people get broken noses and black eyes in tag rugby, Tiger Woods got caught riding all around him in golf.....**** happens!

Now it's not very likely that you'll get tackled that hard again, even in the FLS, but it might happen and if you're afraid of that then don't play. But it would be a shame because you play well for the team and we would miss your goals.

Now I think that should be the end of it to be honest.

P.S. It wasn't a bad game tonight. Think the two-touch was a bit of an eye-opener! But I reckon we're improving each week.

• Advertisement

Okay fair enough. I would never expect to walk in on match days and play Matt, that would be against everything I believe about playing for the team etc.

I guess you're right and it was one but my whole point of this was just to suggest that things like this don't happen. I don't wanna just sound like I'm whinging but it bloody hurt and I don't believe that that should happen in our games in the future, and given that you're correct and this is the first time it's happened then maybe it wont. But I felt I had to make a point of it.

Maybe I overreacted but I stand by the point ya know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I am not going to apologise for the tackle. I gave it everything to try recover myself and get myself into the position to reclaim the ball. I'm not a malicious player and went for the ball, and got it. It was my sheer momentum that carried me into you after I made the tackle, there was no following through with the other leg or leaving the studs up.

What I will apologise for is not asking if you were okay. This tracks back to when I was playing in the schoolboy leagues and I was always told to just walk away from any such situations so as not to get myself into any trouble. I simply walked away because I knew I got the ball first and technically was in the right and didn't want to get into any arguments. As a team mate I should have been more empathic and I'm sorry that I wasn't but in my defense, it's been a long time since I've been competing for a place on a team yet also playing against the same players I'll be playing with.

My mentality towards football is that if you don't come off that field wanting to collapse, you haven't worked hard enough. I feel that I gave everything in that game and I'm happy with how I played with the exception of feeling like some retard when trying to play it out of defense only to pass it straight to the other team or knocking it into the high heavens.

I hope that you put this behind you, and that we don't collide like that again, but a word of caution would be that you should be prepared to receive tackles far clumsier than my own. Not out of maliciousness or anything but simply down to players heads moving faster than their bodies resulting in mistimed tackles that are essential cynical fouls. Thankfully I'm not at that stage yet and have some pace left in me!

[edit]As for the rest of tonights game:

Both teams midfields didn't track back enough. From my perspective, this gave Seamus (lassykk) and Tomas way too much time on the ball and both players were mixing it up and either running at us or playing balls over the top or through the middle which were very difficult to contend with. If the midfielders got into the habit of tracking back, they could put pressure on the other team and not allow them the time or space to play perfect passes.

Brian had a great game. He strikes me as a natural deep midfielder, positioned just in front of the defense. If we can play a simple ball out to him, he's well capable of either bringing the ball forward himself and drawing in midfielders or playing dangerous diagonal balls up front.

The two touch was very interesting. It will help people get better at their first touches for sure, but leaves them only one touch to get rid of the ball. With some players better at beating men and running with the ball, two touch essentially removes their most dangerous ability. I think the pitch was overcrowded tonight which I know influences my opinion as it meant that no matter how good a first touch was, you were always going to be running into traffic and left with only one touch to offload it and pray it reached a teammate.

I think a bit of work needs to be done on communication too. I heard quite a lot of cries of "leave it" and "my ball". These are instant frees against us in a match and are far too cheap to giveaway. It doesn't help that we're still getting to know each other and every man's voice sounds the same when shouting for a ball. A name is all that needs to be called and would save us a lot of embarrassment. I got caught a few times in possession of the ball by tackles from behind. Every single time, there were several people calling for the ball yet not warning me of the threat from behind. If I see a threat to one of our players who has the ball, I'll shout "man on" and any other relevant info like where they're coming from and how fast. It may not give us eyes at the back of our head but it definitely beats playing blind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I obviously wasn't there tonight so don't know what this specific tackle was like but knowing Adam and seeing everyone else's reaction, it seems obvious that it was a good, hard challenge and I've no problem with that, even in training. Like some of you have said, these games are a chance to showcase what you're about. It's only natural that people are going to play their hardest.

I'm sure if we were in a situation where there was someone playing dirty in our Monday games, it'd be a different matter altogether. I agree with Dave that there's a time and a place for being a bit overly physical with someone to let them know they're in a match but this shouldn't happen in training. It seems this isn't what happened in this case either.

The reality is that people are going to end up coming off the worse for a challenge every now and again, even among friends. Everyone should realise that and if they're not willing to take that risk and don't want to play, that's fine. No hard feelings. This is the first time something like this has happened but it won't be the last so, as long as we're clear, let's move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Good session last nite, enough said about the tackle, lets just get on with it and accept its part and parcel of the game. Think theres plenty of good competition for places and agood bit of versatility. What does Gerry think Alan?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

he said that it was a very good run out last night and got a good look at us all. I wasnt talking to him for long last night as i was so wrecked i couldnt talk ha ha. I think he wants to do the same again next week with us with the two touch so we can get in the habit of passing, moving and creating space. All in all i think we learned at lot more from last night then we did from the other sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

I thought last night was extremely beneficial with the two touch rule as even though the rule wont be there in matches we can still use it in matches.
    It will help everyone to get their head up more and look for a team mate and also encourages people to get closer to their men and work more for the team. I hope we can have a couple more sessions like that before we kick off the league because i know that i for one(not usually being a stand out player or anything) felt the rewards of it as the game went on.

As far as "The Tackle" goes from last night, I will say this; most people complain that soccer is not enough of a contact sport anymore. Fergal lad, I'm sure if you tell any of you're older relatives what happened tonight they will say something along the lines of," well at least he got the ball first wait till u see this scar on my leg" etc. I bundled dave over last night at one stage, groin already ****ed on the chap and all and before i could get to the lad to see if he was ok, he was up to his feet and after the ball.

I'm sure u would have done likewise if it had been possible, as u always have a hell of a wayne rooney attitude on you on the field. But i think if you think about it, that is the only reason u are so unhappy with the situation. That you could not chase on again for the ball after the challenge. And that is an encouraging sign in itself. But don't then come on here and threaten to quit lad.

Simply put, we must remain competitive in training as otherwise the starting 11 is the same all through the league and although addam is basically a certainty to start already, lads like myself have no chance if we are not to put in competitive challenges. So come on fergal boy, come back on monday(if possible) and start bangin them in again.(that dosn't half piss off defenders u know lad)

That's great,

Prob best now to draw a line under it now and move on. I'll second the thoughts on two touch I thought it was great to see, in reality we are not going to get much more then two or three touches anyway.

I'll also second what Alan has posted above, things like "man-on" and calling a name are essential.

I'll also just make a point that on two occasions last night players did a slide in tackle. Now, the one that sticks in my mind is from Eoin it was a first class tackle truth be told but (and I stand to be corrected on this) we can't slide in the league so it's best to get out of the habit.

I was delighted to see Gerry getting the throws down, it's reasons like that it's great to have him. Just frees and defending and attacking corners are next.

Just to say again in case it got missed in the madness, I'm nit around for the next two weeks so can someone book the Tuesday and pay the full pitch the following Monday.

I'm sure u would have done likewise if it had been possible, as u always have a hell of a wayne rooney attitude on you on the field. But i think if you think about it, that is the only reason u are so unhappy with the situation. That you could not chase on again for the ball after the challenge. And that is an encouraging sign in itself. But don't then come on here and threaten to quit lad.

Simply put, we must remain competitive in training as otherwise the starting 11 is the same all through the league and although addam is basically a certainty to start already, lads like myself have no chance if we are not to put in competitive challenges. So come on fergal boy, come back on monday(if possible) and start bangin them in again.(that dosn't half piss off defenders u know lad)

Agreed. I didn't intend to threaten to quit as a result of this tackle. That seems to have been what it read like. What I meant was that I don't agree that there should be hard and fast tackles in training matches and being pissed off as I was (you know yourself after getting a bang) I wasn't up for it happening again. But I accept what ye are saying about it being competitive and the reasons for it..

So we'll leave it here then and Ill say that I overreacted haha. Just pissed off when I got home...

I think I'll be back Monday, it's pretty tight atm but thats to be expected. Ice on it all last night so should be grand, its just dead.

The two touch was interesting last night, but I noticed that people seemed to resort to long balls at times and in a two touch game when there was pretty much no free space, those are ridiculous tactics haha.

Gerry said we're not playing full pitch next week but I think we need to. Apart from it just being way too crowded last night, I think some of the team haven't played 11-a-side in a long time and it really is a different ball game (pardon the disgusting pun) where it is VERY important to stick to your position and play your role in the overall team structure very well. Reckon this only comes with practice..

It's a bank holiday next Monday so we're going to try book for Tuesday, should we perhaps book 2/3's of the pitch instead?
    As for the two-touches, we were crowded but it was decent, and beneficial to everyone but for someone like me I need to run with the ball to be dangerous, oh well...:p
    Has anyone rang about next week? Back to the ice bath I go...

• Advertisement

Keep in mind lads when booking the pitch that off the bat myself and Tomas are missing. My suggestion would be book the full pitch (you only need 12 to turn up to be covered) and if you have to pull the goals up at each end a bit you could

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement