Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm out the Dunmore Road if that's more convenient than Dave too. If not, I can do it anyway. Where do you live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Depending on if someone is in work with me tomorrow and willing to cover me I might be able to nip out for the game. If I do I'll only be there for kick-off and there'll be no hanging around after the match! :D

Let ye know tomorrow if I'll make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

Be great if you were there Jonathan!!

Getting excited about it lads!! My first game for Substandard Liege (if I get picked to play as a sub or whatever haha)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Numbers then for tonite meeting at6.45 Waterpark
    (make sure you all have nicks, proper runners, shin guards)

1.) Gary
    2.) Daaave

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

1.) Gary
    2.) Daaave
    3.) Shy_dave!

• Advertisement

1.) Gary
    2.) Daaave
    3.) Shy_dave!
    4.) Niall

1.) Gary
    2.) Daaave
    3.) Shy_dave!
    4.) Niall
    5.) Fergal (number 10 please haha)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

1.) Gary
    2.) Daaave
    3.) Shy_dave!
    4.) Niall
    6.) Mick

I must say the numbers aren't promising lads!

I'll be there tonight, but I'll only arrive before kick-off and I'll have to leave before the end of the game probably as I'll have to be back in work for 8. So maybe I can play the first half and be subbed off in the second half or something.

1.) Gary
    2.) Daaave
    3.) Shy_dave!
    4.) Niall
    6.) Mick
    7.) Jonny

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

We will have more than 11 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

1.) Gary
    2.) Daaave
    3.) Shy_dave!
    4.) Niall
    6.) Mick
    7.) Jonny
    8.) liam
    9.) kieth
    10.) dylan
    11.) martin
    12.) alan

was talkin to eoin yesterday and he said he will be there. Anyone know if brian will be there??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

1.) Gary
    2.) Daaave
    3.) Shy_dave!
    4.) Niall
    6.) Mick
    7.) Jonny
    8.) Liam

Will Gerry be there tonight to pick the team?

Also will someone stick my name down on the teamsheet if I don't arrive in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

1.) Gary
    2.) Daaave
    3.) Shy_dave!
    4.) Niall
    6.) Mick
    7.) Jonny
    8.) liam
    9.) kieth
    10.) dylan
    11.) martin
    12.) alan
    13.) d-sher

Also I think we should use some rolling subs tonight to keep everyone relatively fresh. No point playing on if you're knackered, let a sub come on and 5 mins later, after a small breather, you can come back on for someone else.

Ye gerry will be there tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hey lads,

Just couldn't stay away :) said I'd check in. Good luck tonight and someone stick up an old match report for me and I get a bit of light Reading.

You seem to have a decent team there, do me proud :)

ziedth wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Just couldn't stay away :) said I'd check in. Good luck tonight and someone stick up an old match report for me and I get a bit of light Reading.

You seem to have a decent team there, do me proud :)

Unfortunately we got a bit mauled there tonight. I think it was 4-1 in the end. Conceded two goals in the first half which came from mistakes of our own. Then started the second half really brightly, started knocking the ball around well instead of hoofing it which we were doing in the first half and getting nowhere. Dylan finished off a very well-worked goal and we were right back in it.

In the end I think the difference in fitness really told. Apparently a good number of these lads play in Junior League and they ran us ragged for the last 20 minutes.

I don't think it was all abd. We've learned that we need to take our goal kicks, free kicks and throw ins quickly and short before the short option gets marked up and we end up hoofing the high and long because we didn't win any ball that way. Once we passed it about, we did well and had a number of opportunities.

Gerry reckons we won't meet opposition that good in the league. Hopefully so!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

Sorry lads, just wanted to apologise for a Brutal performance. Nothing just went right for me tonight..

I should have stayed in work lads! Don't think I helped out much for the first two goals!

But I agree these lads looked good, a few of them were skillfull and had a bit of pace. But we're only getting started, our lineup is different all the time and we haven't got our passing game going. Once we do I'm confident we'll be ok.
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    I don't think it was all abd. We've learned that we need to take our goal kicks, free kicks and throw ins quickly and short before the short option gets marked up and we end up hoofing the high and long because we didn't win any ball that way. Once we passed it about, we did well and had a number of opportunities.

I agree about the short option from set pieces and goal kicks. All too often someone was available for the short option, but once they got the ball there was nobody close to pass to. So the whole team needs to work on positioning for that. Shouldn't be hard to sort out and once we do we should keep plenty of possesion.

• Advertisement

I agree about the short option from set pieces and goal kicks. All too often someone was available for the short option, but once they got the ball there was nobody close to pass to. So the whole team needs to work on positioning for that. Shouldn't be hard to sort out and once we do we should keep plenty of possesion.

Yeah we did it right a couple of times at the end of the first half and the start of the second. Short pass to left or right back. Winger comes short and gets it from full back. Either passes it back or into central midfielder. Central midfielder then has all directions to pass in. We got in a good few times taht way. But only once it was done quickly.

We'll put a few things right on Monday hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That's a pity bit that might happen every so often, no shame in it. Just better players who have played together longer! It's important to beat everyone else and we work from there.

What was the lineup out of interest?

ziedth wrote: »
    That's a pity bit that might happen every so often, no shame in it. Just better players who have played together longer! It's important to beat everyone else and we work from there.

What was the lineup out of interest?

Started with:

Dave

Niall - Brian - Mick - Alan

Dave - Martin - Dave

Gary

Dylan - Fergal

Everyone played a fair bit though in fairness.

In fairness, the lad soutplayed us tonight but I'm not surprised. I know a lot of them and they are all quite competant footballers who have always played 11-a-side ball...

I have to stand up and take responsability for not tucking away my oppertunity when it came, it was a slow night up front but I should definitely have put that away. I felt I was a bit rustier tonight than I thought I would be and not getting on the ball for long periods put me off, and the pitch didn't help the team much either!!

I must say that I dont think the long ball is the way we are going to be able to win anything in this league lads. I'm not particularly big and although Dylan won a couple of headers from kick outs, the pitch is very wide and if you are not in the line of the ball, running to it and trying to control it on that pitch just doesn't happen. The ball bounces and just skids away. I'm sure you all realised that when the short ball was played out wide we had quite a bit of joy (2nd half). I got free a good few times as the man marking me had to cover the short pass instead of just jumping and clearing a header. If I had been a bit more clinical and the final passes a bit more precise, then there were goals there.

Fairly unhappy with my own performance as I was frustrated by not gettin much of the ball and tbh I expect better of myself! I'm sure you all do too so I apologise for tonight and console myself with the knowledge that Im better than that (hopefully haha) :D

Yeah I think none of us really settled into the game because we just didn't get the ball. Once we got it down and played, you could see that lads were much happier and more energised because they felt that they could make an impact. It's funny because as bad as that result was, we probably learned more from it than the other game we won. We know what doe and doesn't work so can concentrate on refining that.

gerry was talkin to kevin after the match and found out that there are only two leagues now rather than 4 so the standard is goin to be pretty high. The best thing we can do is learn from our mistakes and move on. I enjoyed tonight even if we did get bet we still learned from it. I think now every one knows that its not goin to be a walk in the park and will have to work on some things. Also we cant be too disheartened by it we were back in the game after half time. Roll on monday!

matt do you still have the hour booked for the monday at 7-8 or will i have to ring them? I have 40 in the kitty so i can pay for it out of that so things dont get too expensive... Who is available so on monday?

1. Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

1.alan
    2.daaave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

daaave wrote: »
    1.alan
    2.daaave
    3.Gary

• Advertisement

D-sher can you make it down monday night cause gerry wants to work with the big goal for a while?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement