Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

Ill bring the jersey down..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I heard a rumor that these guys have lost a couple of their players to junior league teams.

So we really should go at them tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

If someone could pick me up on o'connell street it'd b great lads, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Good luck tonite lads!!! See you all next week

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Yeah best of luck guys! Fitness has much improved in the last few days so I should make it next week.

• Advertisement

Still don't have a lift lads, so if anyone could pick me up on o'connell street that'd be cool, if not then good luck tonight lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

Still don't have a lift lads, so if anyone could pick me up on o'connell street that'd be cool, if not then good luck tonight lads

Didn't Alan and Niall both say they'd collect you no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

ring me I pmd you, be in O Connell st 10mins

May aswell make the most of it:

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!

:)

well done lads. Write up to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Great game guys.

• Advertisement

Good stuff lads!
    First half performance was great! with the ball on the ground we controlled a lot of the play. Second half i think was fairly even as we lofted the ball into the air a bit more. If we can keep playing the ball on the ground like we did in the first half we'll do well. The first goal in particular showed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Sorry lads couldn't make it today. Bloody disgusted :(

Don't worry Ken surely that cycle must have killed ya :)

Mick is right, some of the football in the first half was top quality.

We lost it in the second half a little but nerves and all played into it.

Feeling good after the cycle surprisingly :) Got nabbed to do a job which I couldn't turn down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Good win tonight alright. However I'm not wearing that number 10 jersey again. It's cursed! But that gash on my knee doesn't look so bad after a shower.

We played some nice football tonight and were pretty solid at the back. Once we get a few more games under our belt we should have the makings of a decent team.

However I would like to see all of the subs getting a run out, maybe after a few games when we're a bit settled. While I'll never give out about getting a game :D it would be nice for everyone to get a go. But then again tonight was our first game and it was good to get a win under our belt. Hopefully as the season progresses we'll use the full squad and everyone can have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

However I would like to see all of the subs getting a run out, maybe after a few games when we're a bit settled. While I'll never give out about getting a game :D it would be nice for everyone to get a go. But then again tonight was our first game and it was good to get a win under our belt. Hopefully as the season progresses we'll use the full squad and everyone can have a go.

Yeah I wasn't going to say anything about this as it's only the first game but I think it's very bad form. Myself and Keith were the two that didn't get on the pitch at all but almost as bad is the fact that a number of others - Dave, Liam, Eoin, Alan - were brought on and then taken back off again minutes later to be replaced by lads who had already ran their legs off for 40 minutes. It's unfair in the first place and it's non-sensical in the second. I can appreciate that Gerry has players he rates higher than others and that a good result tonight was essential but some of the people on the line tonight were the ones that are there busting their arses in training week in, week out and the majority have been there from the very start too.

Like I say I can understand the idea tonight (even if I don't agree with some aspects of it) but I'd sincerely hope that it's not going to be the way for the remainder of the season...

This is something I'll be saying to Gerry's face rather than just ranting on an internet forum but just wanted to let everyone else know where I stand.

I have to agree actually,

Martin was there too so that's 3 who didn't get a run.

Now, Gerry I think that has done amazing work with us so I wouldn't for suggest that he change his ways but I would like to see if possible for everyone to get a run. We can't loose sight of the reason we set this up,

Having said that, having gotten mauled last week I can see why Gerry felt it was important to ensure the win.

Still, I think we keep this discussion for later in the week and celebrate our win for now ya?

ziedth wrote: »
    I have to agree actually,

Martin was there too so that's 3 who didn't get a run.

Now, Gerry I think that has done amazing work with us so I wouldn't for suggest that he change his ways but I would like to see if possible for everyone to get a run. We can't loose sight of the reason we set this up,

Having said that, having gotten mauled last week I can see why Gerry felt it was important to ensure the win.

Still, I think we keep this discussion for later in the week and celebrate our win for now ya?

Ah yeah I'm just laying my cards on the table as I wouldn't like to be thinking one thing and saying another. And I completely forgot about Martin actually, good point.

On the subject of the match, I think we did brilliantly, especially in the first half. There was some lovely one touch interplay between our forwards, wingers and Gary. Dillon is a revelation up front. Tom Ryan who was marking him is a big chap but Dillon was well able to hold the ball up against him and played unbelievably well I thought. Same for any number of people on the pitch.

I think we'll need to learn to trust in the things that work for us when the pressure starts coming on. We resorted to long, high balls and our wingers ended up dropping a bit too deep which meant the defence had no outlet and were forced to play those long passes. A couple of times in the second half where we got it down and played it again, we destroyed them. That is obviously what we're good at so we'll need to stick to our guns.

But overall, a great performance and a superb result. Well done lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just a few comments on the match.

I think the backline is definitely starting to come together. We communicated well and played the offside trap very well. Alan is getting caught a bit with people running behind him which is always going to happen if we get caught in possession when the wingers are moving forward but myself and Brian have the awareness and pace to make it over in time and either make it very difficult for the attacker or clear the ball.

The midfielders tracked back very well today and weren't afraid to go in for the 50-50 bals and when the opposition were attacking, they had no players wide open. This is a good sign and indicates that our fitness is improving and that we're becoming more positionally aware on a full-sized pitch.

There were a few mixups with the short kick outs and I vividly remember one occasion where we had to head it back to the keeper after getting ourselves into awful difficulty. We can work on that though and I think we should definitely reflect on the pros of this game which far outweighed the cons which is reflected by the scoreboard.

Dylan again worked like a trojan to win balls and both our goals were well taken.

Ya Dylan is a real find and Mick is really coming into that midfield role.

I was saying to Niall when you consider Ken, Dave, Tomas and Fergal were all missing who could all easily be starting the one thing I'd argue we have more then everyone else in the league is depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I agree with all the points made here. I do think we need to be a bit more confident in our passing though. There were a few occasions where we had the ball and maybe rushed the pass, or didn't pass quickly enough. That's where a bit of training will come in. Plenty of us and control and ball and have the skill to take our time and pick out a pass. As we play and train more we should get better at it and should improve even more as a team. I am noticing and improvement in the movement of the team already. People are starting to look for the ball and move into space after passing it. All good stuff.

Out of interest,

Anyone know how Oceans 11 got on against kelly and dollard?

Out of interest,

Anyone know how Oceans 11 got on against kelly and dollard?

I'll ask my brother in a few mins and let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

oceans 11 won 4-0.kelly and dollard already through so few lads werent available.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

Great win lads its exactly the start we needed.. Have to agree with adam that i got caught a couple of times with fellas gettin in behind me and they had one chance out of it in which they really should of put away.. I put it down to lack of concentration and trying too push forward maybe to often. Niall i wouldnt be too upset with not gettin a run last night(although i understand your frustration) it was the first game and had loads of people on the sidelines. Im sure there are goin to be games in which you will be asking gerry can ya come off for a breather during the season!!!

Alan has a point there we have believe it or not we have 28 on the squad. Now, cutting Dave who kindly will try and cover us for goalie when stuck and you might as well say 5 will always be missing for various holidays. That's 22 in reality, you'd be surprised how quickly 22 will get wittled down to 13/14 when injuries start kicking in and we'll be begging people to come in as a sub.

I don't even think Niall minds to much not getting a run (which is always going to happen to someone unfortunately) i think where the issue might be is the subs being brought back off pretty much straight away for someone who has played for 40 min already. Now, IMHO there is a difference in ability between players (as there always is and should be) but I wouldn't consider anyone in the squad a liability so def shouldn't be taken back off bar injury.

On a side not 4-0!!!!!! We where either very lucky against them or K&D were missing some load of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

anplaya wrote: »
    oceans 11 won 4-0.kelly and dollard already through so few lads werent available.

also forgot kelly and dollard only had 10 men.

Who's S. Treacy?

Alan has a point there we have believe it or not we have 28 on the squad. Now, cutting Dave who kindly will try and cover us for goalie when stuck and you might as well say 5 will always be missing for various holidays. That's 22 in reality, you'd be surprised how quickly 22 will get wittled down to 13/14 when injuries start kicking in and we'll be begging people to come in as a sub.

I don't even think Niall minds to much not getting a run (which is always going to happen to someone unfortunately) i think where the issue might be is the subs being brought back off pretty much straight away for someone who has played for 40 min already. Now, IMHO there is a difference in ability between players (as there always is and should be) but I wouldn't consider anyone in the squad a liability so def shouldn't be taken back off bar injury.

Yeah that's the point Matt, this isn't something about myself (although I don't appreciate being one of two left standing on the sidelines either, the insinuation being that us coming on could have cost us the game, whether it's meant or not), it's the bigger picture. The subs being taken off again thing is ridiculous and unfair. Lads came back on who were bolloxed while other lads out on the pitch who were wrecked stayed on for the whole game and basically another team standing there fresh as daisies on the sidelines. I just don't see sense in it myself. And then it comes back to the principle of the thing where you reward loyalty and commitment. That's not to say in any way, shape or form that the lads who played don't deserve their place, it's to say that everyone who's been dedicated should be treated right. It's the first game so you can't exactly call it a pattern of behaviour but it also hapened in the second last friendly game so I'd just worry if that's going to be the way of things for the season.

I don't think it will necessarily be that way like but just saying my piece. I'm sure there will be plenty of games where we're all dying and begging to be coming off as Alan said but the fact that we were 2-0 up last night worries me. If we're a goal or two down, you're not going to want to give up the game and take off a lot of your strongest players. Likewise if it's level. We're here to do well but we're also here to have fun like. Anyway, that's all I'll be saying on the matter. In Gerry we trust. :P

• Advertisement

^ Should be S. Tracy I'd imagine (Shane)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement