Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I agree with Ken on most of his points. We were a bit all over the place at times.

One thing I'd like to add is I felt as a winger there was a lot of responsibility to track back and defend, even though we had 4 or 5 back against maybe 3 of the opposition. The problem stemming from that was that when we won the ball and got it up to Fergal there was nobody near him to support him.

Arguably in the first few minutes of the second half when I tried not to track back unless absolutely necessary, instead moving into space, we won the ball, it was passed to me and I managed to get the ball to Tomas twice in quick succession and we could have scored both times. But frustratingly I found it difficult to get the ball at all after that. My movement might not have been fantastic at all times but there were a few occasions where the pass was on and it didn't come.

I also agree with Ken on the short goal kicks. We're obviously not comfortable with them. All of the back four have to be comfortable receiving the ball and have to have the confidence to take their time and play a good pass out. If this isn't the case then it's probably better to play it long into midfield and set up our formation accordingly.

The offside trap was very poor and we were all guilty of ball watching and not playing the whistle. Brian in particular needs to sort out the defensive line of the back four. At times he was 4 or 5 yards behind the yellow line while the other defenders were on the line. This allowed their wingers to get in behind and a shouting for offside did not good. Either all of the defense stays on the yellow line or else if one drops deep all need to drop deep and forget about any offsides.

Lastly playing with a deep midfielder puts a lot of pressure on the other central midfielder and the wingers to make runs forward. It's tiring work and poor Gary looked knackered at the end of the game. Mick looked like he was feeling the pace in the last ten minutes as well. Maybe we should look at using our subs in the midfield area as the game progresses to keep people fresh.

But other than all that it was mostly our poor play that cost us the game tonight. I don't think the opposition played fantastically well, just better than us. They were more composed on the ball, won the midfield battle and made us pay for our mistakes but we weren't too outclassed in terms of ability. So we don't need to be too disheartened after the result. We do need to work on our passing in training though. Once we get it down and play good football on the ground we'll be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan guys. I'm working Thursday unfortunately, so can't make it either. Hopefully be back in full swing after that! Next year I'll take it easier at the Picnic if it's so close to a match day.

Were there many positives to come from the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Youre right Jonny damn tiring in the middle but less so when the ball is retained and passed simply which is a massive problem. Its all good moving back as a team but what happens is that we dont move forward together with the same vigour. If the middle is commited then the defense should move nearer the halfway line, I know its not ideal for the offside but we cant seem to get that right anyway. The problem with the short kick out is that you do it quick or dont do it at all, the indecision of what goes on at the kickout is contagious 'cos we look like we don't know what we're at. Dunno what more 'training' is going to do tbh because we're well able to play, just think we need to relax more on the ball and when that happens it breeds confidence.Look forward to Thursday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

I think a lot of the points that have been made so far are very relevant. Especially the short goal kicks, we definitely need to bring that up before the next game, nobody seems comfortable in making themselves available for them so they have to be booted. We didn't even do that badly on their keepers kickouts when he was kicking it long anyway, so i think we need to, as a team say that its just not working.

I think one thing that showed up our lack of passing on the floor, was that i got very few balls passed to me and i was playing in midfield! and open a lot of the time as a holding player. That's in comparison to last week when i got several touches of the ball and we played quite well. We need to play it on the ground, that's how we have won the matches that we've won.

Also the back four, as many have said need to keep running when they call offside. I found myself as the one trying to chase through the attacker when they stood still several times, and it was always against the odds that i would get there as i was playing in front of the defence.

As for changing the formation, simply put, there is no point. We have shown we can win with that formation. many of the problems relating to the formation stemmed from simply not passing the ball about enough. And that was down to us all as individuals.(i'll hold my hand up and say that i, like everyone else played a couple of aimless balls in the first half)

Having said that, the start of the second half was extremely positive i thought and showed that if we had played the simple ball for the whole game we could have been in it. The guys we were playing weren't the greatest team in the world and only a little bit better than what we played against last week. It was all down to a bad team performance at the end of the day. All they did was lift their head and pick out their passes, as we did last week when we won.

Simply put if we rule out these things we will do a lot better next time:

Standing while calling for offside
    Hoofing the ball and passing aimlessly
    Short goal kicks

very simple things to cut out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Exactly Mick,

They aren't major problems and thankfully lack of quality is far from an issue.

I will say though I think they were a good deal better then then team last week.

We have a tough game against norris's on Thursday so just gotta pick oursevels up and solider on.

I might add Our friends over in Boca seniors gave a good account of themselves last night. They lost 1-0 but looked well in it for the half that I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

ziedth wrote: »
    Exactly Mick,

They aren't major problems and thankfully lack of quality is far from an issue.

I will say though I think they were a good deal better then then team last week.

We have a tough game against norris's on Thursday so just gotta pick oursevels up and solider on.

I might add Our friends over in Boca seniors gave a good account of themselves last night. They lost 1-0 but looked well in it for the half that I saw.

Thanks man, ye we were well in it for the whole game and had 5 good chances to score, just didn't have the composure/luck needed to finish them. Much better performance than last week anyway.

I caught the tail end of yer game and saw the last goal, it was unlucky by the looks of it.

One more thing I realised on reflection last night! We're all a little too hasty to pass the ball forward at times. Sometimes we don't even take a touch, instead tryinig to pass first time or flick the ball on, I myself am very guilty of this. As we're not blessed with Paul Scholes like ability this doesn't often work!

Now the Waterpark pitch is a nightmare for defenders as you can't turn quickly on it. Our attacking players should use that to our advantage more often. If you can get the ball to your feet have a go at dribbling a little with it. If you drop the shoulder or fake one way and the defender is off balance he'll struggle to go with you if you then go the other way.

Also if we get the ball to feet and don't panic the defender can either dive in for the tackle or stand off you. If he dives in just take it past him. If he stands off use the extra time to pick out an easy pass. Taking our time on the ball also gives the rest of the team time to catch up with play. How many times did we get the ball to Fergal in the last match and nobody was near him? Instead if we can get it wide, say, and manage to keep the ball for a few seconds while the rest of the midfield and attack get forward we can start a proper attacking move.

I know this is all sounds easier than it probably is to do but my main point is that too often wel panic a bit when the ball comes to us, rush the pass and give away possesion. This obviously puts us under pressure and limits our attacking chances.

I reckon we have more time on the ball than we think and should start getting used to that. Plenty of us on the team have a good touch and can pass and dribble. We just need to calm down a bit during the games and make the most of our possesion.

So in training we should definitely work on our short passing in tight areas. We need to get used to taking a first touch away from a defender to give us more space. We need to work on using the slippery Waterpark pitch to our advantage. I know personally in the next game if I get on I'm going to try and get on the ball as much as possible and try taking on a few people. All of this is within reason obviously! No point taking ages on the ball and getting tackled every time! But I'm really enjoying the games so far and looking forward to the next one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

It doesn't help when you have every intention of dribbling and stuff and shout and shout for a pass to your feet and the next thing the ball is launched over the top nowhere near anyone and you're left there like a dope..

The team as a whole needs to have this attitude of passing to feet, not just the a few..

Slksht wrote: »
    It doesn't help when you have every intention of dribbling and stuff and shout and shout for a pass to your feet and the next thing the ball is launched over the top nowhere near anyone and you're left there like a dope..

The team as a whole needs to have this attitude of passing to feet, not just the a few..

But that's my point young Fergal. If we panic when the ball is at our feet we tend to make bad passes, such as ones over the top that are over-hit. Now we'll always make bad passes but as long as we make less of them we'll be alright. It only takes two or thee good passes to get into a scoring position. Slight improvement is all we need. That can only come with playing together more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

That can only come with playing together more.

And an adoption of the correct mentality by the team as a whole! Everyone needs to be willing to play this way or it won't work...

• Advertisement

Slksht wrote: »
    And an adoption of the correct mentality by the team as a whole! Everyone needs to be willing to play this way or it won't work...

Yes within reason. I wouldn't like to see the defense messing around too much with short passes. Obviously they should look to play the ball out if possible but at times a hoof is needed to clear any danger.

Just realised something. I thought I was going to miss the next two games but looking at the fixtures I'll definitely be able to make the game in two week's time against Princes Park. If I can get someone to cover in work for an hour next week I might even make the game against Norris's. It's addictive this football thing! :D

I just looking at the results.

TEVA Wanders seem to be our main opposition for the league :)

6-0 and then 7-0 that's some shooting

I just looking at the results.

TEVA Wanders seem to be our main opposition for the league :)

6-0 and then 7-0 that's some shooting

Sure they're Premier division standard. Probably all young and fit! It will be tough to get a result against them but I look forward to the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

hey. we played teva last week and have to say they were excellent very good at keeping the ball.fast wingers and full backs and very good finishers plus they always seem to have people free to take the ball.it will take a massive effort to stop them but best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

Gerry asked me to ask everyone if their available monday night for training? I think he wants to work on a couple of things.... Regarding the match on monday i dont think we were as bad as everyone is makin out we were always in the game and never really out played. Silly mistakes cost us the game but these things happen. No point gettin down bout it. Onwards and upwards is the only way we just have to believe in ourselves!

1. Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

1. Alan
    2. Niall

1. Alan
    2. Niall
    3. Matt Van Bommel (my back is tgat strong as 90 year old piano mover but it's better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr check raise

1. Alan
    2. Niall
    3. Matt Van Bommel (my back is tgat strong as 90 year old piano mover but it's better)
    4. Eoin Shearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

1. Alan
    2. Niall
    4. Eoin Shearer
    5. Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

1. Alan
    2. Niall
    4. Eoin Shearer
    5. Mick
    6.Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Can anyone join this or do you have a regular team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

can't make monday guys but i'll definately be there on thursday....:D

1. Alan
    2. Niall
    3. Matt Van Bommel
    4. Eoin Shearer
    5. Mick
    6.Gary
    7. Martin (Matt's Mate)

tomas can't make it Monday or Thursday due to work.

Richie your more then welcome to come down Monday for a look.

Hi lads we're on TUESDAY not Monday k? At 7.

Is that ok for everyone? Mondays are now booked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi lads we're on TUESDAY not Monday k? At 7.

Is that ok for everyone? Mondays are now booked out.

Did we not have Mondays booked sure? Mad.

I guess because we missed a few they gave it away on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Won't be there

Tuesday = Champions League! But I suppose we all should be home by 8:15pm.

Either way I'm working evenings next week so will miss training. There is an outside possibility I might make the match on Thursday but it's a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

college is back. Students book the **** out of the Kingfisher until Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement