Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I honestly like the idea of a flat back 4 with Mick playing across the front of them with two attacking players infront of him (say Gary and Mick O'Leary for argument sake) and Dylan on his own up front.

But that's just my premier manager mind at work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

was it definitly 4-1?? i cudve sworn it was 3-1 all i remember was the header in the 1st half, our pen, the volley, and the supposed 'wonder' goal....thats twice i'm after gettin the scores wrong in my head lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Sweeper system is a disaster alright, Mick constantly having to drop onto the back four and then they have 2lads that I have to pick up. A sweeper means we're lying too deep, that lad at centre defence had a great 1st half, pity he didn't stay on. We should be looking to be more positive next match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

DementoR wrote: »
    Regarding the middle of the pitch,i think the sweeper system is causing that,since mick had to keep picking up the 2nd striker so the sweeper could stay free thats leaving him following the player and the other midfielder isnt able to cover the whole centre himself so id like to see a flat back 4 and do away with the sweeper system.

Thats just my opinion though :)
    Sweeper system is a disaster alright, Mick constantly having to drop onto the back four and then they have 2lads that I have to pick up. A sweeper means we're lying too deep, that lad at centre defence had a great 1st half, pity he didn't stay on. We should be looking to be more positive next match.

Yeah I agree completely. The sweeper idea clearly isn't working out at all. It's costing us any chance at offsides and it's allowing the opposition time and space in what's effectively their OMC position. A flat back four, Mick in the DMC role and either two other CMs like Matt suggested or one other CM and two up front (as we kind of play one of the forwards as an OMC anyway) seems to me to be necessary.

Also agree that it was madness to take "new Dave" off as I thought he was having a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

if mick was pickin up the 2nd striker,then that tells me that the 2 centre backs had to look after only the 1st striker-thats a bit crazy no? also its leaves gary to cover half the pitch by himself.

taking new dave off seemed ludicrous to me especially when he didn't put a foot wrong,derek was the obvious option to come off not only because he was having a below par game but he looked wrecked trying to keep up with their left winger.(the hero that got the wonder goal)

our wingers looked pretty tired early on the 2nd half too but the changes came too late to make an impact.

those lads had nobody on the bench which should have played to our advantage with the amount of fresh legs we had ready to come in and keep the tempo high.

i personally didn't pay tonight matt,slipped my mind-that said how much am i and anyone else that came on for the last 6-7mins expected to pay...

in an ideal situation i think our best back line would be new dave and adam in the centre,derek and martin out wide with brian ready to step in for tired legs-our biggest problem tonight was the backline was chopped and changed far too much which only created confusion amongst those playing there.

don't forget how well norris' did last year lads-our mindset should have been damage limitation but we didn't get phased and could easily have won it or drawn at the very least so lets keep the heads up yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

daaave wrote: »
    if mick was pickin up the 2nd striker,then that tells me that the 2 centre backs had to look after only the 1st striker-thats a bit crazy no? also its leaves gary to cover half the pitch by himself.

taking new dave off seemed ludicrous to me especially when he didn't put a foot wrong,derek was the obvious option to come off not only because he was having a below par game but he looked wrecked trying to keep up with their left winger.(the hero that got the wonder goal)

our wingers looked pretty tired early on the 2nd half too but the changes came too late to make an impact.

those lads had nobody on the bench which should have played to our advantage with the amount of fresh legs we had ready to come in and keep the tempo high.

i personally didn't pay tonight matt,slipped my mind-that said how much am i and anyone else that came on for the last 6-7mins expected to pay...

in an ideal situation i think our best back line would be new dave and adam in the centre,derek and martin out wide with brian ready to step in for tired legs-our biggest problem tonight was the backline was chopped and changed far too much which only created confusion amongst those playing there.

don't forget how well norris' did last year lads-our mindset should have been damage limitation but we didn't get phased and could easily have won it or drawn at the very least so lets keep the heads up yeah!

That's been happening in defence since the very first friendly game we played. I was playing right full and Brian kept drifting over to the left and calling me in to mark a striker. It's obviously still happening but with Mick being drafted in instead.

I'd agree with that backline possibly with Alan in for Derek if he feels happier at full back instead of the wing.

1-1 would have been an amazing result and it's just very disappointing that we couldn't close it out. 4-1 looks very bad but we know, and they know, that that's not how the game was. Once we got past the shaky first five or ten minutes we did very well and dominated for the end of the first half and large parts of the second. Bad result but not a bad performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭DementoR

if mick was pickin up the 2nd striker,then that tells me that the 2 centre backs had to look after only the 1st striker-thats a bit crazy no? also its leaves gary to cover half the pitch by himself

Yeh but since we were playing a sweeper that meant Brian was behind me when i was picking up the 1st striker and that left the gap in midfield.

I didnt mind coming off to give some1 else a run and at that stage we seemed to have them under alot of pressure,was just a bad 4 min or so period that we conceded the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Could be worse we lost 7-2 to Plantwise at 9.15... Ah we never had it at 1-1;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Unlucky about the result but by the sounds of it the same mistakes are being made, sweeper system, tired players not being subbed off. If it continues something will have to be said.

Anyway I'm back next week so we'll definitely win! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

4-1 an unfair reflection and like many have said, the game was there for the taking. In a fair assessment it was a pretty poor match for both sides. Nobody could get on the ball and pass it around, it seemed that we could string 2-3 passes together and after that we lost it. Our right side was completely out of the game, Dereks throw ins were to nobody and if they landed at any of our lads it was to their feet with one of their lads up their asses.

The defenders were caught not playing the whistle a couple of times. Our defensive line was a bit all over the place This probably led to their 1st goal because 3 of their lads were lining up on the 6 yard box ready to nod the ball in. We just need 1 lad there who can scream at the 3 other lads and keep them in line. We were guilty of not talking to one another. It was literally dead on the pitch and a lot of balls just landing in the middle of 2 or 3 lads.

Plus points - Dave played well for his debut. Not biased because he's a fellow NCFC fan but solid on the ball and not rushed into booting the ball anywhere. Gary worked his socks off with Mick but were probably knackered from running all over the shop all game. The 2 lads up front did well although the service into them was limited. I don't think I played any football with them yet.

Still early days and time for us to gel. Still interested to see some selection choices in the next few games. Substitutions need to be looked at big time, some lads only on for a few mins and getting hauled off again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

I fancy having Matt as a proper assistant manager. I think alot of the things said on this thread are very valid and Matt sees them all. Gerry isn't on this thing so he can't see the discussion which goes on and the points being made..?

Hes doing a good job and not meaning any disrespect to him at all but he doesn't run it all and the players have points to be made too!!

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No shame in that judging by last years results

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

in fairness i thought we played ok and were well in the game till the last ten mins. Its goin to take time for us to gel but when it comes together i feel we will be giving a couple of teams a spanking!

Cheers Fergal,

Gerry is doing a great Job in all fairness, like I know we have a few new players and all but we are twice the team we were that lined out in our very first match in that summer preseason tournament. I honestly think we are 90% there, myself and Gerry talk about it every week but the difference in these things usually comes down(and we have said it before) to not playing together. Simple example of this is I think is in the game last night was some of Norris'sone touch football was blind in that they we hitting the ball into space but know from yeas playing together that "oh John likes to hang around the outside of the box and Joe usually makes space in the centre".

It's little things like that make a huge difference. I also agree with Alan that we have a massive result in us be that either hammering another team or getting a result against one of the better teams.

The only complaint I would have about last nights game is that I wouldn't have taken off "New Dave" and changed the players that looked a little tired to try and gain an advantage that way. But the rest will come into place. I will promise that in the second round of games with another 8 or so under our belt that we will not go out loose 4-1 to either of those last two teams we played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

First and foremost, i have to say that i thought the result was very misleading, i thought we definitely deserved a draw.

Secondly and most importantly however, i have to agree on the sweeper system.

The last two weeks i haven't been able to get into the game much and i do think it has a lot to do with this especially this week, as even when i pushed up when we were searching for goals at the end i had a lot more of a chance to do things.

The issue for me as most have picked up on is that I'm usually left marking their deepest forward. That means when their countering and i have to leave defense, they can see me coming a mile away and i cant get as many tackles in as the weeks before as they have time to change what they're doing.
    When i cant get my tackles in that means that we don't get to play with the ball as much.

Another thing with the sweeper system is that when the lads are trying to play offside, bryan can often get left behind the line, keeping the opposition on side.

This is easily sorted though.

We simply have to have our centre backs marking the deeper forward.
    I have no doubt that had we gone man for man last night we'd have done a lot better as Bryan and dave were winning most of the aerial battles that they contested.

Another thing about the sweeper system is that since i am needed a lot of the time in defence their is usually no1 for the short ball as i should be the one trying to pick up easy balls out of defence.

So yeah, i don't much like the sweeper system. :)

I agree Mick. Man to man at the back should be the plan. It's not as if the sweeper system has been keeping the goals out! I spent alot of the time when I was on the wing in other games tracking back. By the time we win the ball I'm too far back to join the attack.

At least with a flat 4-4-2 we'd have people in the right positions when we have the ball. It might be a bit more risky if we allow 4 attackers on 4 defenders but someone of the midfield 4 can always help out depending on where the ball is. But by not commiting the rest of the midfield to defensive duties when we do get the ball back we'll have a good 4 or 5 players capable to go on the attack. Really what we've been lacking is someone in midfield who can get the ball, pass it on, move into space, get it again, pass it again....etc. Our style of play hasn't allowed anyone to do that yet. I know we're not all Paul Scholes but we need to be able to pass the ball from one side of the pitch to another and for that we need our midfielders in midfield.

Looking forward to training next week. Feels like I haven't played a match in ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

I dont know about a fully flat midfield four, i think i should definitely be playing a bit behind garry but not as deep as i am at the moment. Especially when we're not playing a 4-5-1. with just 4 in midfield i definitely have to be looking to get the ball more. Maybe matt as assistant manager could mention this?

I'll say it to Gerry lads k? They only thing I really won't say is I think so and so should be playing.

On another note for those who weren't around the team photo was taken for the website but Kevin said that we can get another one if we can get the full team together so I think in a few weeks time we should try for another one and get everyone down injured or not like.

I knew I'd miss the photo!

Don't worry johnny I was missing too :) I'll pick a game in a couple of weeks and we all try and make it k?

• Advertisement

Are we training this week? If so when and where?

Ya johnny,

Kingfisher tuesday @ 7 k?

ziedth wrote: »
    Ya johnny,

Kingfisher tuesday @ 7 k?

Good stuff. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

was there a team bonding night out or something last night? :D
    i was in the cocktail bar in harveys last nite talking to a few of ye

Well,

I was one of the lads, ordering the various shots (I'm in bits today btw) ya a few of us a mates outside of the team so it feels like it sometimes.

We'll have a night in there after we hammer yee :) I think we are Playing sometime in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

ziedth wrote: »
    Well,

I was one of the lads, ordering the various shots (I'm in bits today btw) ya a few of us a mates outside of the team so it feels like it sometimes.

We'll have a night in there after we hammer yee :) I think we are Playing sometime in November.

happy days - should be a good game :D
    best baby guinnesses ever id say :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Ah feck, just remembered I won't be around next week. Damn Arthurs Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

How many for training tomorrow?

A few missing by the look of it Gary but I'd still say between 12-15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'll be around if there aren't too many going?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement