Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Well boy,

Doubt we'll have that many and I'd say the weather will scare a few off. I'd say come down, I looking forward to a game now.

I just looking at last nights results there was a 0-0 if you can imagine. I'd say there won't be to many of them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

Cant make it tonight lads something came up and its not the spurs game goin to miss that too..:mad:

No bother Alan,

Text me the score :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Am I the only one who thought the match is on Wed? Looked at fixtures and it's Thurs at 18.15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

wont be around tonight lads-welding course is still going on......

Is it like that film flashdance :)

I thought wecsaid Thursday last week but I could of said Wednesday by accident Gary. Think I'll throw up the fixs here every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 keiththepower

what time is training on at tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

Well how did training go? Many show up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

alco.29 wrote: »
    Well how did training go? Many show up?

I thought it went pretty well. We had 17 or 18 I think. Spent the first while talking through last week's game, then practised the short goal kicks a bit, then throw-ins and free kicks. Two touch for about 25 minutes and all in for another 25 probably. Thought the blue team did very well in the games - felt we were fairly solid throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I still don't get why there's so much of an emphasis on taking short goal kicks. In 25 years I've been playing football, not one club has decided to go out and use short goal kicks and build from there.

kensutz wrote: »
    I still don't get why there's so much of an emphasis on taking short goal kicks. In 25 years I've been playing football, not one club has decided to go out and use short goal kicks and build from there.

I don't know but that's the way the manager's decided is best so...

That's just it,

Having said that when practising them last night (which wasn't realistic because you would never have 16 players in one third of the pitch) the lads did knock the ball around well at times. I think the killing thing is indecision and if it looks like they are onto us (which they will be after 4 or 5) to just mix it up a tad and get Martin to rocket one up the pitch.

Anyone catch last nights results yet?

Sone interesting Reading.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

None as interesting as tonights ;-)

Got our first point of the season against Kelly & Dollard

2-2!!!

We were two down with 2 minutes left :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

How on earth did that one happen?!?!

Our midfielder scored to make it 2-1 and de ref said a minute left... We got the ball back and won a free... Took it quickly and i took a shot that a defender blocked with his hand and we scored with the last kick of the game :-)

Very exciting stuff!!!

Their manager went nuts!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stewman

watched that game on the line 2nite,ref was very poor,4 both teams,when are refs gonna stand up and send players off,at least two sending offs 2nite,shocking calls saw one player getting creased and nothing,never a pen ref,again shocking

Fully agree with you on that. Refs are generally very poor. There was definitely one sending off each in that match that didnt happen.

As for the penalty decision im not sure which one you are referring to. I dont remember the one K&D got as I play up front and barely saw it and as I took the shot on the turn for our one I wasnt in a position to tell where it hit their defender.

Our defence said the K&D one was soft but im sure K&D said the same about ours

• Advertisement

Well done though,

They were lethal against us in the preseason so I'd call that a great result.

Regarding tonight, I have to head at half time so can someone look after the jerseys? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stewman

slieverue pen was never a pen,striker kicked it and it hit knd player from 2 feet,knd pen was harsh as well made contact with player but their wasnt much in it,thems the breaks tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm valliantly fighting off a viral infection but feeling pretty good for tonights game. Are we going to use the dressing room to discuss tactics pre-match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Makes sense

Ya for def johnny, I'll hang around by the pitch and send people in there till 6.

Lets all drink red bull and get psyched up then! Then go out on the field and hammer Princes Park!!! :D

stewman wrote: »
    slieverue pen was never a pen,striker kicked it and it hit knd player from 2 feet,knd pen was harsh as well made contact with player but their wasnt much in it,thems the breaks tho.

To be honest I wouldnt have questioned it to much if we hadnt got it as I was v close to the defender.

I know K&D probably feel robbed but i thought we had good possession throughout and that we did deserve something but I am biased as I was playing for Slieverue;-)

Well lads,

sorry I had to go. How did we get on?

ziedth wrote: »
    Well lads,

sorry I had to go. How did we get on?

Lost 1-0 to the penalty in the end. The ref was shocking all game long which didn't help. Thought we did particularly well for the last 15-20 minutes and had two or three very good chances to score. They had another one or two as well. We're still a bit ragged but are creating a few chances every game.

New Dave hurt his ankle towards the end. Hopefully he's ok because I thought he was excellent for us.

• Advertisement

I don't know what to make of tonights game. We're definitely suffering from a lack of familiarity and a lack of a playing style. I suppose us all starting off as strangers doesn't help. But we really should be starting to gel a bit by now.

I think we need to decide on a particular attacking style and stick to it. We don't really play it down the wings, we don't play through midfield, we're sort of a long ball team at times but nothing is definite or purposeful. So we can all tend to drift around the place, and as a result when someone gets the ball we all have a moment's indecision about what to do next. This often costs us possession. We're well able to knock the ball around in training on the small pitch but not on the bigger pitch at the moment. We really need the whole team showing for the ball at all times moving to support our teammates. It will be tough on the lungs but we need to do it.

I also think we need to look at playing a few balls over the top from midfield. The offside line gives the attacker a significant advantage and if the defender is under pressure anything can happen. Our best chances tonight came from such balls.

On the topic of the short kick-outs, I think they worked well tonight. We didn't lose possession from them that often, if at all. Whereas when we tried a few long goal-kicks we lost pretty badly at times and were immediately under pressure. I felt we could have tried more short ones in the second half but that's just my opinion.

At the end of the day we're not far off being a decent team. A bit more effort and we'll get there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement