Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

not so sure about the whole colours thing. the black and colours idea sounds better to me tbh, a lot more chance of people bringing the right tops i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Just a note that anyone with a decent ball could you bring it along and maybe a pump cause I have a few but just need a good pump up.

I've got a new ball wouldnt exactly call it great but i'll bring it along

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Why doesnt someone buy a good ball and sure when they go down they can get their money back.
    So its monday at 7, and its looking like theres going to be in the region of 14 people or did i pluck that out of my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Lads you really should enter a team in to the summer league , its only 100e to enter and then 5e to reg a player , makes no sense to wait 5 months to play when you could get a few games next month .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Lads you really should enter a team in to the summer league , its only 100e to enter and then 5e to reg a player , makes no sense to wait 5 months to play when you could get a few games next month .

I think the deadline for entering a team was last week. So everyone decided to try and work up a bit of fitness before entering the winter league instead

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

jayboi wrote: »
    I think the deadline for entering a team was last week. So everyone decided to try and work up a bit of fitness before entering the winter league instead
    But in a team meself last night , the deadline been but back to next friday now , ya should consider it lads , summer games down there are great.

jayboi wrote: »
    Why doesnt someone buy a good ball and sure when they go down they can get their money back.
    So its monday at 7, and its looking like theres going to be in the region of 14 people or did i pluck that out of my head?

yeah id say at least 14 will show up. we've got around twenty so between things coming up etc we sud be fine.

About the ball, the plan is whatever money is left over after the first couple weeks or so goes towards vests and a ball. It's 50e for the pitch so we're doing a fiver each that way depending on how many show up we shud ave enough money left over after 2 r 3 weeks for everything

as for entering the summer tournament i think thats a bad idea, we shud all get up to fitness first and get the feel for the ball etc before going into that tournament and prob getting our arse handed to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

as for entering the summer tournament i think thats a bad idea, we shud all get up to fitness first and get the feel for the ball etc before going into that tournament and prob getting our arse handed to us

Yep that was the idea and we're all happy with it.

I agree,

If we went into the summer league and got Carrick or something and lost 8-0 I couldn't see many of us bothering for the second week!

I like the plan of working on fitness and getting to know each other before
    commiting to anything.

Yes it's really just this using a second hand ball. Ken has kindly offered to source in some gear the following weeks.

• Advertisement

ahh sure as i said thr ball thing will be settled after the first week

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Yep, think it is better to wait until we actually know each others names before entering a cup/league :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

no summer league is a great idea shur if we have the numbers why not i mean we cant be making excuses already we should play whenever we can and turn down no one as we are SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok we will see what everyone says Monday night.

Have a meeting so to speak!

I'm def airing for on the side of caution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Will be giving this week a miss as I'm working until 11pm Sunday. Fingers crossed I'll be good next week!

as a lot of us have not played in a while it would be a terrible idea to enter the summer tournament, where lets not forget juniors are aloud to play. It's basically like asking an u-14's team to play an u-18's team, we also wouldnt have a clue who our best players are or where to even play people as surely everyone isnt going to be cryin out to be a defender

AdMMM wrote: »
    Will be giving this week a miss as I'm working until 11pm Sunday. Fingers crossed I'll be good next week!

You do know we're playing at 7pm on Monday, right?
    as a lot of us have not played in a while it would be a terrible idea to enter the summer tournament, where lets not forget juniors are aloud to play. It's basically like asking an u-14's team to play an u-18's team, we also wouldnt have a clue who our best players are or where to even play people as surely everyone isnt going to be cryin out to be a defender

Yeah it'd be ridiculous to throw a load of randomers together into tournament.

does anyone know the start date for the summer league?

im thinking if its a month or so away why not that will give around 4 trainings together and we can use the league as an incentive to build fitness and get to know one another. no one will expect us to win it but i honestly think it would give us a great advantage when its time to play in the winter league as we will all know each other and not to mention build fitness and skill etc.

the summer league would be better than a game of ball every week against each other in my opinion as it would be a lot more competetive.

but look whatever floats the boat as long as we play football and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

does anyone know the start date for the summer league?

im thinking if its a month or so away why not that will give around 4 trainings together and we can use the league as an incentive to build fitness and get to know one another. no one will expect us to win it but i honestly think it would give us a great advantage when its time to play in the winter league as we will all know each other and not to mention build fitness and skill etc.

the summer league would be better than a game of ball every week against each other in my opinion as it would be a lot more competetive.

but look whatever floats the boat as long as we play football and enjoy it

I just entered in a team on friday, its the first time we entered a team, we only began organising last monday and got 15 names so went with it, ordered jerseys and collected money.

The date for register has been extended untill next friday so ye have loads of time.
    The league starts the week of the 11th of may.

I think ye should enter in the summer league as it will be very hard to keep people interested playing un-organised 5 a side for 3 or 4 months.

I don't know how anyone else feels about this summer league but 4 weeks away is far too short a time for this team for me, as many of us wont be up to fitness or good enough on our technique. I think we're much better off going for the fun aspect of things and getting to know each other first, rather than diving in arse over head. At least if we still get beat during the september league we will have fun as we will be familiar with one another and not be too down hearted by defeat, therefore not loosing out on numbers as we will be more of a group than a football team which also works on the pitch, as we would all want to play well for each other as well as ourselves. this was definitely more like the idea I had when I started this thread.

Anyway we can talk about it on monday and see how everybody feels about it lads.Really lookin forward to this now, hopefully the few pints of guinness from tonight won't have an effect on my performance on monday lol.

• Advertisement

Clano wrote: »
    I think ye should enter in the summer league as it will be very hard to keep people interested playing un-organised 5 a side for 3 or 4 months.

I would disagree with that. Sure it wouldn't be any more un-organised than a game a week in the summer leage or whatever. It'll be a game at the same time every week with all the same people.

I don't know how anyone else feels about this summer league but 4 weeks away is far too short a time for this team for me, as many of us wont be up to fitness or good enough on our technique. I think we're much better off going for the fun aspect of things and getting to know each other first, rather than diving in arse over head. At least if we still get beat during the september league we will have fun as we will be familiar with one another and not be too down hearted by defeat, therefore not loosing out on numbers as we will be more of a group than a football team which also works on the pitch, as we would all want to play well for each other as well as ourselves. this was definitely more like the idea I had when I started this thread.

Anyway we can talk about it on monday and see how everybody feels about it lads.Really lookin forward to this now, hopefully the few pints of guinness from tonight won't have an effect on my performance on monday lol.

I'm completely on the same page as you. I don't think we'd be in any position to play competitively in a few weeks. By that stage we'd only be figuring out who plays best in what position etc. A whole three months in the summer is only about 13 or 14 weekly games of ball like. It's enough to get comfortable with each other and to hopefully be able to play as a team but it's not too long either. Sure we'll see how we get on on Monday first.

Can everyone confirm who's actually going to be there this Monday, just so we know how we're shaping up?
    1) nkay1985
    2) Fergal (my younger brother)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

1) nkay1985
    3)Shy_Dave!

1) nkay1985
    3)Shy_Dave
    4) ziedth

1) nkay1985
    3)Shy_Dave
    4) ziedth
    5) MickClince12118

also nkay1985 how young is your brother man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It would be madness to enter the summer league after only playing together a handful of times. The summer league has a higher standard than the bottom division in the proper league. If you stick to playing regular fun games, it'll give you the chance to build up a good relationship and understanding with each other, which will help come September. The pressure of the summer league may mean the Roy Keanes amongst you bawling and shouting at team-mates, and if that understanding hasn't been built, you may not have anyone wanting to play anymore. So, take the time to get to know each other and enter the bottom division as mates and without pressure.

Just my two cents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

1) nkay1985
    3)Shy_Dave
    4) ziedth
    5) MickClince12118
    6) Kensutz

1) nkay1985
    3)Shy_Dave
    4) ziedth
    5) MickClince12118

also nkay1985 how young is your brother man?

He's 19 so it's no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 kevthefonz

1) nkay1985
    3)Shy_Dave
    4) ziedth
    5) MickClince12118
    6) Kensutz
    7) kevthefonz

Really looking forward to this, haven't played ball in 3 years, fitness is atrocious but i'm hoping enthusiasm will pull me through.... let the pain commence on tuesday and i'll try tackle the stairs at home maybe on friday......

1) nkay1985
    3)Shy_Dave
    4) ziedth
    5) MickClince12118
    6) Kensutz
    7) kevthefonz
    8) mufcboy and 1 of my mates

• Advertisement

9 confirmed so far then, hopefully anyone who hasnt confirmed just hasnt been online today and knows the time etc.

Dont forget anyone new is welcome! and if u are around someone today or tomorow who might wanna play dont forget to ask them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement