Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Floodlit Soccer Team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'll be there tonight but won't be able to provide any lifts unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

Dont think Dave wants to come back tbh, he=is ankle is fine I saw him the other day :)

AnywayIll be there, told Gerry.. Were runnin short on replies for tonight in fairness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr check raise

i'll be there

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭DementoR

Slksht wrote: »
    Dont think Dave wants to come back tbh, he=is ankle is fine I saw him the other day :)

AnywayIll be there, told Gerry.. Were runnin short on replies for tonight in fairness..

Ah i do want to come back, i do feel this team has alot of potential and want to be part of it! Im not limping or anything but its still sore and after how it felt on sunday theres no way i can play yet!

DementoR wrote: »
    Ah i do want to come back, i do feel this team has alot of potential and want to be part of it! Im not limping or anything but its still sore and after how it felt on sunday theres no way i can play yet!

Im only messin haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Where to start about last night?!

It's disappointing to lose such close game by such a wide margin.

I can think of only one goal last night that was worked from play from them, all the rest came against the run of play from us making stupid mistakes. The last defender can't try beat forwards if they have the ball, just get rid of it. We gave away 3(!!!!!!) goals thanks to this. Just get rid of it. Anywhere.

The short kickouts were a disaster because they were always given too quickly. On one occasion it was kicked out to Alan when his back was turned and with two forwards lurking close by as they expected the short kick out. The reason for the short kick out is to help us keep it on the ground and remain in possession but there needs to be more chemistry between us so we know where people are going to be. When I found myself under pressure, I just had to get rid of it, often giving the ball back to the other team because I didn't know where our players were and couldn't see movement.

There was also no shouting from the goalkeeper. He has the best view on the pitch and should be shouting the ears of us for the entire match. The only time we shouldn't be hearing his voice is when we're doing everything right. We lost 6-1. We weren't doing things right!

It also looked that the midfield got very tired in the second half. There wasn't much movement and when we got the ball to Dylan, nobody was running up and supporting him leaving him try do an awful lot himself. He could be Messi and still not be able to skin 4 defenders.

As I said earlier, I think only one of their goals came from proper play and that was the screamer they scored from outside the box and even then that was because Gary was overwhelmed by their tackles as he was trying to look for someone to pass it to. The header they scored from the corner the only other goal that there wasn't a grave mistake made. That was just a fantastic corner and a powerful header from a player who made a great run. All the other goals were mistakes.

Again, just to emphasise, it's incredibly frustrating losing games by this margin when we have the makings of a competent team. By no means are we great but we should definitely be able to hold our own and be capable of creating and converting chances rather than being under pressure not to concede goals for the duration of a match.

Any other thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

In over 20 years of playing football, last night was possibly the worst ever from a management point of view. 3 lads came off the pitch extremely pissed off with me being one of them. Gerry turned around to me and said I was injured, I mean how the fcuk can he know what my body is feeling? I was fitness tested the day before with the Munster RFU and if I can pass that I think I can pass 60 minutes of football. He called me Shane, I told him it was Ken, 2 seconds later I was being called Shane again. Disaster! I'm sorry but he definitely has his favourites and won't take them off the pitch no matter how bad we play.

I'm like a broken record at this stage but short goal kicks are a load of b0llocks. It's bloody obvious that we're looking to do it the whole time. When it's done, the 2 full backs are caught out because their attackers/midfield are on to them in seconds. Dylan had absolutely nothing to play with, nothing came his way and he had to go out of his way to try and get possession. Midfield fell apart and one thing very noticeable was that the whole team were quiet on the pitch.

Every single corner and free kick that came in were won by them. Nothing was won by our lads. We were defending a corner and Gerry decided to take me off (again!) and put on Liam. No offence to Liam but he's smaller than me and rule 1 is that you don't make a defensive substitution during a corner. It's bloody suicide. Also some of the defending was suicidal. A few times the ball came along on the floor and some of the lads weren't able to kick the ball out 2 yards, nevermind 20. Team shape was all over the shop too.

Have to dash off but that's some of my rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I had a Massive rant wrote up last night but I decided to not bother putting it up. To phrase it another way I'm begininng to think there is a fundamental problem in the team somewhere. I don't know what it is but we are a better team then this, I'm pretty sure that four of the goals from last night could have been easily avoided like Adam said the corner was just one of those things and the rest were mistakes with their second a decent finish to be fair to the guy.

As for myself I'm becomming a little pissed off also, thinking about it from the start of the thread there 4 or 5 of us that have been running with this from the start and I didn't come into it think I'd be handling money, players registration, match cards, dealing with the league, and organising training or to put it another away a director of football. I'm happy to do it for the team and all but when it's my only contribution it's starting to get old fast. But that's nobodys fault it's my back is injured and I didn't want the responsibility of managing the team so that's my issue but to be honest it is starting to grate on me.

I'll raise one more point even though the new lads who turned up last night were sound we seem to have 4 new players to be registered for the next game. I'm not 100% happy of just dragging in players for the sake of it we set up this team here and it's important not to forget that.

On a final Point it seem Scotish Dave is sadly moving back to Scotland and I'd like to thank him for coming down as he rarely missed a training let alone a game. Best of Luck Dave.

Just keep the heads up lads. When our next win comes along all this **** will be forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I missed last nights game through work so unfortunately I couldn't be there. I'll be around for the next two though. But I can't comment on last night's game. But reading the comments of others there seem to be a lot of recurring themes in a lot of our games; short kick-outs not working, people being subbed off who should stay on, people not being subbed off who should come off, mistakes leading to goals.

Something has to be done. I find that when I do play I tend to play left back or left wing. Now I love getting on but I'm primarily a central midfielder. I'd love to have a go there. But there seems to be no rotating of positions unless we're missing a few of the regulars. I also tend to get subbed off quite a lot too, again which I don't mind, but sometimes I feel I have plenty more running in my legs than some others so wouldn't mind staying on in their place. But that's neither here nor there.

We need to try a few different people in different positions and see how it works. We need to get rid of the short-kick outs. And we need to have regular rolling subs to keep everybody fresh. Too often the ball gets to Dylan and nobody is around him. If we were all that much fresher we'd be better able to support the attack.

Lastly I feel Gerry critisises the players way too much. I appreciate that he's taken on the responsibility of managing the team and given up his free time to do so, but I don't show up to get shouted at for an hour. Granted critisism has its place, but in moderation to motivate someone. Too much is detrimental to team and player morale.

To end on a high note I'm really looking forward to playing the next game. I know losing isn't nice but I'm really enjoying playing 11-a-side football again and I hate missing a game. I'm in the middle of training for a half-marathon at the moment, and I'm feeling fitter every day. Looking forward to running my legs off next week! :D

I'd also like to wish Scottish Dave all the best, he's been everpresent since we started and he'll be missed.

I think the lad on the sidelines knew how pissed off I was and also I can relate to how a couple of the lads felt when they got taken off too. Tbh I think the management of the team is poor and I stand by that decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Completely agree with Ken... I'm 99% sure that was my last game...
    Best of luck for the future!!! Will need it!!!

Maybe a team chat on Thursday might be an idea? After the game say! Just see where we are at and going ya know?

Izy wrote: »
    Completely agree with Ken... I'm 99% sure that was my last game...
    Best of luck for the future!!! Will need it!!!

Quite possibly my last one although I'm willing to see how things develop over the next week or two. I can't make training sessions because I'm in Cork on Tuesday evenings with rugby.

ziedth wrote: »
    Maybe a team chat on Thursday might be an idea? After the game say! Just see where we are at and going ya know?

We need another Boards Beers night out! That will end up in a real discussion. Not just of the state of the team, but probably politics and the economy as well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Agree with jonnie, a few beers together might do us all good!! I'd like to see jonnie have a go in the middle, I'd like a change to the left or right even and I fancy martin and adam cb. Bryan isn't comfortable enough on the ball to recieve the short goal kick and our keepers confidence is shattered which transmits to everyone. It's depressing really but there's something wrong that needs sorting

Agree with jonnie, a few beers together might do us all good!! I'd like to see jonnie have a go in the middle, I'd like a change to the left or right even and I fancy martin and adam cb. Bryan isn't comfortable enough on the ball to recieve the short goal kick and our keepers confidence is shattered which transmits to everyone. It's depressing really but there's something wrong that needs sorting

We could even go 5 in midfield with the wingers pushing up to help Dylan, while still leaving 3 in midfield to break up play. Proper Champions League style!

^ that's been my idea all along.

Ya a decent chat is on the cards alright. I agree with Gary too actually I think he'd do well on the right as from what I cab tell the better part of his game would be a one or two touch pass which could set off some players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I like that idea but we also need to focus on the defense, we have good players who need to be more composed but this will only happen when we're confident.Sh1t I don't know but alot of lads are upset and maybe a few beers might do us good

I like that idea but we also need to focus on the defense, we have good players who need to be more composed but this will only happen when we're confident.Sh1t I don't know but alot of lads are upset and maybe a few beers might do us good

Might??? When has beer ever contributed to anything bad??? :D

The Bada Bing boys all drink together and they're second in the league. So it must work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As of last night I'm off the beer. To be reviewed again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I absolutely agree with all of that. Martin and Adam or (when he's fit again) Dave and Adam with Martin in at full back is a much better idea than playing Bryan in there. I think it's been shown that he's not comfprtable on the ball like you've said Gary. The problem is that Gerry is the boss and obviously rates him so I don't really know what to do.

What happened to the new keeper lad that asked on the thread a couple of weeks ago? Could give Keith a break and a chance to rebuild his confidence maybe if we had someone else there.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭celticutd87

nkay1985 wrote: »
    What happened to the new keeper lad that asked on the thread a couple of weeks ago? Could give Keith a break and a chance to rebuild his confidence maybe if we had someone else there.
    Im still here lads. Hopefully training now next week and yee can have a look at me actually playin. Completely understand gerry cudnt play me without seeing me play like. Team needs a bit of confidence methinks.

Just as a side note lads,

I can appreciate that everyone has their own strongest xi but I think calling out players and saying they aren't good enough is a slippery slope and to be honest can only lead to a bad vibe in the team.

Just my 0.02 cent

Ye to be fair we all know who is good where and whatever but naming lads and saying this and that isn't great. That's the managers job.

Unfortunately half the team seem to think he doesnt make the right choices so in essence, something has to give...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

bad nite at the office ,
    only dylan did a fair bit of running up front that was about the sum of the work done..
    the back was a mess, 3 presents but we still gave away another 3 fair goals ....

are we training tuesday nite?

No I wouldn't say so with the Ireland match. I'm hoping to try and find somewhere for Monday (Maybe WIT?) watch this space.....

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

ah god where to start.... 6-1 its embarrassing and demoralising and people are pissed off and looking for someone to blame. I think we are all to blame between mistakes and bad decisions. Maybe the manager picked the wrong team or the players heads dropped after the first two goals and then gave up caring. Jesus i dont know. I think the best thing we can do is go down training on tuesday night and communicate with each other. Everyone has an idea on how to improve well lets give them to each other on tuesday instead of bottling them up. We can only get better lads so lets get this team goin!

i think a few beers and some team bonding should be on the cards soon......

ziedth wrote: »
    No I wouldn't say so with the Ireland match. I'm hoping to try and find somewhere for Monday (Maybe WIT?) watch this space.....

thats a good idea that surface there is exactly the same as waterpark, dire
    would help us training on a similar surface that we will be playing on in the league

alls not lost we're still 6 off the bottom of the table and playing a team with slightly better form next thursday,a win:eek: would get us up mid table:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

whats the odds on gerry getting the sack before xmas?:cool:

• Advertisement

anplaya wrote: »
    whats the odds on gerry getting the sack before xmas?:cool:

hmmm just as i suspected would happen, namedrops & handbags........:rolleyes:

mostly from numbers who generally stay mute during games or training...

fulltime on this thread! close up shop..

mabey start a new one a general
    " waterford floodlit league "
    thread seeing its now advertised on the fsl homepage..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement